HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2013, 07:27 AM
Joined Apr 2013
44 Posts
You just have to read the first page and look at the ATMEGA8 picture.
Your will see that the programming pins are :

MISO : 16
MOSI : 15
SCK : 17
RESET : 29
GND : 3,5,21
VCC : 4,6

Then, you can solder your USBasp directly on these pin or by the programming pad if you are able to determine their assignment.

To determine your FET pins assignment, use a multimeter or an ohmmeter and look into all the include files to see if it correspond to the red brick 30A or an other. If I doesn't, your can use your own assignment as Simonk said in his description.
WalkOver is offline Find More Posts by WalkOver
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2013, 08:17 AM
Switzerland, VS, Oberems
Joined Apr 2010
526 Posts
Can anyone tell me with what firmware i can flash the new hobbywing pentium ESC?
they now use N Fets
http://www.omgfly.com/index.php?main...products_id=43
w4Rd3n is online now Find More Posts by w4Rd3n
Old May 07, 2013, 08:39 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkOver View Post
You just have to read the first page and look at the ATMEGA8 picture.
Your will see that the programming pins are :

MISO : 16
MOSI : 15
SCK : 17
RESET : 29
GND : 3,5,21
VCC : 4,6

Then, you can solder your USBasp directly on these pin or by the programming pad if you are able to determine their assignment.

To determine your FET pins assignment, use a multimeter or an ohmmeter and look into all the include files to see if it correspond to the red brick 30A or an other. If I doesn't, your can use your own assignment as Simonk said in his description.

thanks for your reply but please understand i have no clue about any of this stuff.its completely new to me so i am struggling to understand what it is i should be doing in relation to your reply.
what i could really use is a piccy of my esc with the pads marked accordingly so that i can then match them to the pins of my usbasp,wire them up and flash it. i dont have a multimeter or otherwise to check anything. i hoped,as in the 1st post of this thread that there would be a visual representation of the pads on my esc so i could just copy it and then wire them to my asp device.

things are never that simple though!
mrmurder1975 is offline Find More Posts by mrmurder1975
Old May 07, 2013, 08:56 AM
Joined Apr 2013
44 Posts
To flash your esc, you just have to read the first page and you will see the ATMEGA8 picture. You can solder your USBasp on the right pin without any ohmmeter thanks to the pin 1 identifier.

It is easier to solder on the pad but if you have no ohmmeter, it is the only way if you are unable to detect the pin assignment.

BUT, if the FET pin's assignment is different to the old RED brick 30A, you can "brick" your ESC and get some smoke.

The safer method for your is :

1 - Wait for someone who already flash the same ESC than you.
2 - Or, buy a cheap ohmmeter and check you fet pin assignement.
Old May 07, 2013, 09:31 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
thanks walkover. its slowly starting to sink in now. so,as per the diagram on page one,the numbers correspond to the legs around the chip. so i would have to solder the right wire from the asp to the right leg around the chip and once all done,i can flash the esc. thats going to be a hell of a solder job,those pins on the chip are tiny!!

how likely is it,as someone who evidently has more of a grasp on this than i, that the fet pin assignment is different in my esc to other redbrick 30a esc's that have a slightly different layout to mine? or is there really no way of knowing.

one more question. assuming i get to the point where i am ready to flash it,which firmware do i use? i will be using the kk2 flash tool to do my esc's. i can see fw for the rb 70 and 50a esc's,but none for the 30. is it safe to use the fw for the 50a on mine?
Last edited by mrmurder1975; May 07, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old May 07, 2013, 11:05 AM
5th
Mediocre Pilot Extraordinaire
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2012
433 Posts
I can't tell you what pads correspond to which pins, because I use one of these instead. As for which firmware, that is identical to what I have - use tp.hex.
5th is offline Find More Posts by 5th
Old May 07, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
thanks for the info 5th.

well,i had a crack at soldering the wires to the pins on the esc to the pins on the usbasp and promptly managed to kill the speedie lol

ah well,was worth a shot. no great loss really, those bricks are no good for quads without flashing. i tried,and i failed. i now have some plush on the way and from what i can gather,they update quick enough to not bother flashing them at all.

so,the plush will go on the quad that is now one esc down and i might get the hobbyking ss 25/30 and the flash tool to flash them with. i really dont want to have to go down the route of trying to wire it up myself again when the tool will allow me to do it,no mess and no fuss.

if/when i do come to flash the ss 25/30 i will use the kk flash tool. what i am unsure of is which firmware to select from the drop down box for that esc. there is nothing on there that says tp.hex??

or do i ignore that bit,find the tp.hex file somewhere else,save it to my comp and open/flash it via the kk flash tool? if it is the tp.hex file im looking for, can somebody please link me to it in a reply as i cant find it and not even sure where i should be looking for it! thanks.

**ok,so i found the tp.hex file.i saved it to my comp. opened the kk flash tool and loaded the file to it in the box where you can select your own fw to load..... so i should be good to go? (when i get the esc's and the flashing tool of course!)
Last edited by mrmurder1975; May 07, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old May 07, 2013, 06:57 PM
5th
Mediocre Pilot Extraordinaire
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2012
433 Posts
Check this table to make sure you are using the right hex file. It lists most common ESCs, has links to images of them to verify you have the ESC you think you have, and lists the hex file to use for each. As for the hex files themselves, you can download all of them in a package from the link on the right side of the table..
5th is offline Find More Posts by 5th
Old May 08, 2013, 01:44 AM
Switzerland, VS, Oberems
Joined Apr 2010
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4Rd3n View Post
Can anyone tell me with what firmware i can flash the new hobbywing pentium ESC?
they now use N Fets
http://www.omgfly.com/index.php?main...products_id=43
Anyone?
Old May 08, 2013, 05:07 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Anyone?
You'll likely need to post a photo of both sides before someone could tell you
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old May 08, 2013, 12:42 PM
Switzerland, VS, Oberems
Joined Apr 2010
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendoNZ View Post
You'll likely need to post a photo of both sides before someone could tell you
i don't have any further infos on this.
i will just order a set and post some pictures
Old May 08, 2013, 02:08 PM
Joined Dec 2009
399 Posts
Quote:
Anyone?
Looks like Plush / Flyfun, that can be flashed with BLHeli: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...BQkZZRlE#gid=0
sskaug is online now Find More Posts by sskaug
Old May 08, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Apr 2013
44 Posts
Hello,

I have an other question for you guys.
What is exactly the impact of MOTOR_ADVANCE ?

The defaut setup is 18. I tried 10 just for test and it seems to work exactly as It did with 18. Maybe, a more regular noise when I eared carefully but it is maybe a placebo effect.

How this setting work and how to optimize it ?

Thank you
Old May 08, 2013, 05:43 PM
Oz Micro Antenna Maker
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash n Burn View Post
Hey guys, I got several of these Banggood 30A ESCs laying around. I can't seem to find any info on which file to flash them with. Any ideas??? It has a AtmegaBL 8AU 13060 chip.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-XX...r-p-50621.html
I just programmed 4 of these with TGY.HEX. All good!
ovaltine is offline Find More Posts by ovaltine
Old May 08, 2013, 06:39 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,407 Posts
How close to linear is the actual relationship between throttle position and motor drive PWM rate on a typical brushless ESC?

For experimental purposes I'd like to have an ESC with an FET duty cycle that exactly matches the throttle signal value, e.g. 15% stick = 15% duty, 92% stick = 92% duty and so on. Can this be accomplished by modifying presently available firmware?
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀