HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:46 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Today .. it's way too windy ( and possibly wet too) so I'm going RC sloping .. wanna try it? meet me here at noon today..

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...777d1299b&z=18
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:34 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
No sloping (or sailing) today.. :(

it was raining as I broke for lunch.. so I didn't head out to Hill Street Sunset cliffs as expected today .. but I did make it down to the Pond and it cleared a bit so pulled out the Alula (hand launch-able glider) and tossed it into that gale a few times.. luckily it didn't land in a tree or the water as expected..

alula uplift (2 min 31 sec)

By the way, I'd like to simply be sure everyone knows the best place for authoritative info on the San Diego Argonauts club is here:

http://www.sandiegoargonauts.com/index.html

there are Regattas coming up soon and to get in em you gotta pre-register.. Please check it out and join the fun.. JimS
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:55 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
NiMH Batteries..

Anyone familiar with these batteries?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-recharge-aa-2200-4.html

www.hobbypartz.com generally ships very quickly .. I've seen some of it arrive from LA to my door in a day.. but I don't think I can find a 3cell Lipo configured flat for 8 ea normal AAs side by side like this as cheap nor to fit in the new $32 Tx I bought in post # 134 (above)

I just ordered 3 of these for under $20.oo and was surprised there was no shipping cost on this order either..I'll let ya'll know if get my money's worth... my NiMH charger can only handle 4 AAs at a time so I plan to mark them as set "A", "B" and "C" and cycle in one set at a time between use and recharges
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:39 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,226 Posts
Hey Jim,

Just tried to pm you, but it says your box is full?

Dale
he4gott is offline Find More Posts by he4gott
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:03 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott View Post
Hey Jim,

Just tried to pm you, but it says your box is full?

Dale
yes .. I'll delete some stuff.. try again in 15 Ok?
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:40 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Oh By the way..the remaining Points Race Videos are now up in Post #158

In case you missed 'em I finished editing what I had and posted it in 158 (above) last night (just incase you were interested in the SantaBarbara and IOM races and missed them) I will be putting on the dorky helmet cam for the ODOM races I'm in in the future and will try to get more picts and videos. Conversely, if you have any heartburn about seeing your self on TV here, lemme know and I will take it down and or try to edit you out. These are not search-able on YouTube, you have to use the link. Last thing I want to do is upset anyone, and I do appreciate the feedback.. Less of these other classes and more ODOM clips and vids will come later .. JimS
Old Mar 08, 2011, 11:01 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
They're here already..

This relates to Post 128 and the Turnbuckle fittings i need for the new used sail.. they arrived today so I have no excuse now for not getting the other rig set up..Only took 5 days to get here from the UK..
Old Mar 08, 2011, 11:41 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,226 Posts
Wow...no U.S. suppliers?

Dale
Old Mar 09, 2011, 12:04 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,489 Posts
Jim
You won't need locking nuts. They work great without them and the locking nuts would destroy their functionality. The beauty of this turnbuckle is how easily they can be adjusted or removed for transport.

I get all of mine from this site as I mentioned previously.
http://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustralia.com

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:08 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Nuts.. one's Ok, Two's too many.

Boomer,
I think you're right about not needing the locking nuts.. mine has two per fitting now, and there's no problem with them functionally but I never lock them down harder than finger tight..plus they are not really aircraft nuts like these new ones are.. they look identical to the one that it comes with, but I do see your point as you complete the adjustment you only need one nut to set the turnbuckle snug against the threads .. not two. I still can't get over how quick it got here.. the AUS quote i got from the other outfit out there (above) suggested it would be $24 for shipping and take till the 21s' of this month to get here.. Anyway next time I will query both.. and hope in the interim we get a distributer set up in the USA again.. Thanks again Boomer for the tips.. JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Jim
You won't need locking nuts. They work great without them and the locking nuts would destroy their functionality. The beauty of this turnbuckle is how easily they can be adjusted or removed for transport.

I get all of mine from this site as I mentioned previously.
http://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustralia.com

Boomer
Old Mar 09, 2011, 03:26 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Sometimes the stars Align..

And we had a super Day for ODOMs over lunch today:

Big Chris C./ Rich H., Chuck B., Willy W, another Young-Chris, and I were all sailing ODOMs and the starting alone was super fun.

I kept losing downwind, and in the turns at the down windmark but did Ok to weather.

I was often last or close to it by the time we all got across the finish.. Terrific experience.. perfect winds and weather steady at 4 to 6 from the West to NW. I wish I had made time to get some picts or video.. but had to rush back to work..

Regards JimS
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:20 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
What's the difference between Points Races and Regattas?

A friend here asked this question.. and i wasn't sure, but here's a reply from Mark Hallberg our Argonauts Commodore:
----
Hi Jim,

The difference between club points and regattas is that point races are only for the club members. The regattas are open to anyone who wants to sail.
For our club points, each class races three times. In a regatta it's only one class, and the races could be as many as fourteen. The regattas also offer trophies, and the results are published in the AMYA magazine.

Hope this clears things up.

Mark
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:31 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
A friend here asked this question.. and i wasn't sure, but here's a reply from Mark Hallberg our Argonauts Commodore:
----
Hi Jim,

The difference between club points and regattas is that point races are only for the club members. The regattas are open to anyone who wants to sail.
For our club points, each class races three times. In a regatta it's only one class, and the races could be as many as fourteen. The regattas also offer trophies, and the results are published in the AMYA magazine.

Hope this clears things up.

Mark
Thanks Jim (and Mark) for the info. I hope to be there Saturday to check out the Solings...

Dale
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:28 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
ODOM weekend at DeAnza Cove this weekend..

The Soling 50's and the SantaBarbara's are having a big Argonauts Regatta at the pond This Saturday and tho I'd like to watch .. I like sailing a lot more.. so I believe 4 of us with ODOMs are headed to the cove around 11:00 Saturday and likely again on Sunday since the Power Boats will be there then,.. Here's a link showing where we'll be come on down!..

http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?hl=en...,97.822266&z=4
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:36 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Got the new Rig on..

The SAILset Turnbuckles came in so i had no excuse not to rig up my "spare" used Porro Sail and will be trying it out.. Was fun getting the shroud wire wrapped on the new threaded pieces.. am sure I didn't do the most perfect job possible but they are balanced in length and there's at least 5 turns on each side wrapped to hold them from pulling out or unraveling.. We'll see soon enough I guess if I did it right.. Next thing to do aside from tuning it better after testing it on the water, is add the Sail Numbers but i didn't make time for that yet.. Also need to get some cardboard so i can make a sail case to port and use the original Chuck Black #99 Sail too..