Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:49 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssulti View Post
Hello from Finland.

Adding my thoughts and feelings about this glider.

After 7 or 8 flights and after one crash I have to say that this glider is suitable for (almost) beginners... I have had only one glider before - Nine Eagles SkyRunner and upgraded to Phoenix 2000. Ok, I have had helis over year and some quads also, so I'm not an total beginner on RC, but...

First flight was an shocking experience (lasted barely 5 minutes), D/R and throws were way too big, almost crashed it, several times got it pointing upwards and stalling. Saved and got it down without any brakes or flaps. Second fligh was easy flying, but used motor quite much - no problems with heat nor ESC problems.

Third flight, ended to an disaster almost ending my glider hobby. On landing, butterfly deployed, roughly 1-2 feet from ground slight breeze lifted left wing causing right to touch softly to (gravel) ground - nose to ground and engine got busted - axle snapped. Ordered new (eMax GT2218/11 250W) engine and fixed rear bolt hole from right wing (ripped off, hot glue).

Stock config was upgraded by local dealer; some non-brand engine - not same what HK has and Riccs ESC (30A, 3A BEC). No problems with it, but going to add 5V/3A BEC to feed radio & telemetry (9X, Open9X, FrSky) gear on board. Wing servos are connected using single 6 pin connector; MPX Connector (http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc...r-215p5562.htm ), makes my life easier...

Using 4-channel wing config with delayed flying phases. I'll share open9x config if someone want's to give it a try, just send an PM.

Channels:
1. Left AIL
2. Left Flap
3. Right Flap
4. Right AIL
5. Elev
6. Rud
7. Throttle

Yesterday flying, the best moments. Location; Siuro (City Of Nokia), Finland. Weather: almost 0m/s wind.
Nice report! By the looks of your video you are getting the hang of it!
Maybe your first flight had something to do with the balance of your plane? You said you had it pointing upwards a few times which makes me assume your battery is placed too much to the rear. Did you try to place it a bit further forward? The glider should actually go into a straight forward flight by itself if properly balanced.......

We had a discussion in the beginning of this thread about the proper CG point on this plane.
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:59 AM
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Siuro
Joined Aug 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Nice report! By the looks of your video you are getting the hang of it!
Maybe your first flight had something to do with the balance of your plane? You said you had it pointing upwards a few times which makes me assume your battery is placed too much to the rear. Did you try to place it a bit further forward?

We had a discussion in the beginning of this thread about the proper CG point on this plane.
Probably CG wasn't spot on at first flight, even I tried to check it with the marks on wings. I was using stock 1500mAh 3S and I placed it to roughly middle of the battery tray.

And most of the hard moves on first flight were purely my mistakes - pulling elevator too hard, way too hard - as I have to do with my SkyRunner and it's "nice" Nine Eagles mini TX...

More videos and (hope not) crashes will be posted to youtube. Using head-cam (Jobo JIB 2 HD) to record those, no cam on glider - looking for some keychain cam to add it to canopy.
ssulti is offline Find More Posts by ssulti
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:13 AM
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
742 Posts
G'day,
Woodstock 1 noted a fair way back in this thread that the P2K's fuselage is the same as, if not similar to, earlier Duralene types, to which almost no glue will stick ... permanently. To which DocMac in the post above, quite rightly agrees.
However, I have had some success using Contact Cement ... Selley's Quick Grip here in Oz ... which if thinned a little with Automotive Thinners, and left to get tacky before attaching anything (usually wood?) to it, and left to dry out / cure, actually seems to work OK.
I attached a small test strip of 3mm ply, out of the way in a remote area, inside the fuselage, and have had no luck trying to remove it without damaging the actual ply test piece, or worse, possibly damaging the fuselage itself.
Worth considering, I think.
I did successfully use Contact Cement to hold the rear ply part in place in my modified motor mount ... Ref my post, with pictures, a fair way back now, in this thread ... However I also used screws as well, with the glue merely used to hold the part in place.
Hope this may be of some help.
Daffy
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:44 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMac View Post
A very good point!!!
I think the fuse is nylon to be precise

I use hotglue to fix stuff (more preciselly pushrods sleeves and the UBEC) and they hold well .. but probably wont resist a good "pull" .. the UBEC for example is quite well glued to a wall but im almost sure that if i "pull" of it it will separate
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:27 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
793 Posts
We should try to get those two guys on FliteTest to review the Phoenix 2000 or Phoenix Evolution.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:11 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
We should try to get those two guys on FliteTest to review the Phoenix 2000 or Phoenix Evolution.
Why... you want to see their faces even more?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Why... you want to see their faces even more?
Actually, yes. I love what they do for the hobby and I find them very entertaining.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:19 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post
Actually, yes. I love what they do for the hobby and I find them very entertaining.

So do I. Although I do think they play up to their sponsors but do seem to try to be partial in their reviews. I get the feeling they are trying to become more popular and get their own TV show.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:17 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post

Oh sorry.. i like their reviews too and watch them .. i was talking about them sometimes focusing the camera way more in them than the issue/plane/gadget at hand .. wich im sure its not "on porpouse" or intentional but i found funny
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:59 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
I agree, they spend a little too much time playing the 'Straight Guy / idiot guy' rather than concentrate on the subject at hand - the plane or new device/components.
However the videos are almost always enjoyable enough to keep watching and wanting more.

But I still prefer RCModelReviews workshop videos with the camera mostly locked down on the job and showing the task at hand, instead of a Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis production. (I'm still annoyed big time about what New Zealand's version of the MAAA did to him)

As for Photonicinduction, well he is just nuts and simply in a class of his own. I can't get enough of him!!

What was the thread topic again!

B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:49 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,057 Posts

Lost my way...not welcome here
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Oct 09, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:03 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Using 4-channel wing config with delayed flying phases. I'll share open9x config if someone want's to give it a try, just send an PM.
Thanks for sharing the video and your experiences. My first few flights as a beginner on the P2K were also 'hairy', so I understand your experiences well. Also thanks for the the MPX connector tip - it's now on my list of things to do.

I use open9x w/ frsky telemetry and 4 channel wing too. I'd like to see how you are using your flight phases.
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Aug 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post
Thanks for sharing the video and your experiences. My first few flights as a beginner on the P2K were also 'hairy', so I understand your experiences well. Also thanks for the the MPX connector tip - it's now on my list of things to do.

I use open9x w/ frsky telemetry and 4 channel wing too. I'd like to see how you are using your flight phases.
Zip containing EEPE file (Companion9X + open9X), using it on quite modded 9X: frsky module on module bay, wired to TX's CPU to show data on TX screen instead on FrSky display.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16033671/Ph...annel.eepe.zip

Servo config as mentioned above. Switches, as follows:
- Throttle (Hold) : Variometer on/off - annoying beeping if not necessary...
- Rud: 4ch "fail safe" - turns glider to pure 4 channel without any special mixes
- Ele: D/R & Expo
- Pit Trim (pot, "AUX2") : fixed throttle to be used on glide mode and also on launch
- ID0-2: flight modes
- Ail: Throttle on/off, throttle value set by Pit Trim (pot)
- Gear: Throttle hold / timer start
- Trainer: backlight

Flight Modes:
- Start : throttle normal, ele (up) -> flaps down, full wing ailerons
- Glide : throtte via switch, camber/reflex on throttle + ele/flaps mix & ail+rud mix
- Landing : throttle stick > -100 ... 0 = Crow, +10...100 = throttle range -100 -> 100
- 4ch : no mixes, pure 4ch control. Flaps deactivated, only ailerons moves

All flight modes have delays, except "panic button" 4ch-mode.

Throttle switch (ail) is used on launch, using mode-2 TX, so throwing glider on left hand and need some way to kick throttle on by right hand. Typically goes like: pot to 100% throttle, ail on and when throwing plane to the sky I will flip gear (throttle-hold) off and engine fires up.

Hopefully this helps someone and makes setup procedure little bit easier. I have fine tuned this setup roughly 1.5 months now...

Thats all what I can recall right now, after spending +4h on car driving mostly +120km/h on rain.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:44 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Flight Modes:
- Start : throttle normal, ele (up) -> flaps down, full wing ailerons
- Glide : throtte via switch, camber/reflex on throttle + ele/flaps mix & ail+rud mix
- Landing : throttle stick > -100 ... 0 = Crow, +10...100 = throttle range -100 -> 100
- 4ch : no mixes, pure 4ch control. Flaps deactivated, only ailerons moves

All flight modes have delays, except "panic button" 4ch-mode.

Throttle switch (ail) is used on launch, using mode-2 TX, so throwing glider on left hand and need some way to kick throttle on by right hand. Typically goes like: pot to 100% throttle, ail on and when throwing plane to the sky I will flip gear (throttle-hold) off and engine fires up.
Wow interesting setup. Thank you for sharing. Isn't open9x AWESOME! I have modded several of my friends 9x's also so they could share the fun.

I have a couple of comments/questions on your Phoenix setup:

Start : throttle normal, ele (up) -> flaps down, full wing ailerons

I launch my P2K without flaps and require a touch of down elevator to maintain steady climb rate. "ele (up)" do you mean "ele stick up" or UP elevator? Do you achieve a better climb rate with the flaps deployed?

Glide : throtte via switch, camber/reflex on throttle + ele/flaps mix & ail+rud mix

How do you find having camber/reflex on throttle - is it not easy to accidentally adjust camber while coordinating the rudder for turns?

Landing : throttle stick > -100 ... 0 = Crow, +10...100 = throttle range -100 -> 100

I'm using the same for landing, but be careful, I found it is very easy to accidentally engage throttle when varying the CROW amount for a nice hand catch/landing at your feet. After a near miss, I changed my throttle active range to the upper +30-100 to give a bigger 'dead' band between zero CROW and the throttle.
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Aug 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post
Wow interesting setup. Thank you for sharing. Isn't open9x AWESOME! I have modded several of my friends 9x's also so they could share the fun.

I have a couple of comments/questions on your Phoenix setup:

I launch my P2K without flaps and require a touch of down elevator to maintain steady climb rate. "ele (up)" do you mean "ele stick up" or UP elevator? Do you achieve a better climb rate with the flaps deployed?

Glide : throtte via switch, camber/reflex on throttle + ele/flaps mix & ail+rud mix

How do you find having camber/reflex on throttle - is it not easy to accidentally adjust camber while coordinating the rudder for turns?

Landing : throttle stick > -100 ... 0 = Crow, +10...100 = throttle range -100 -> 100

I'm using the same for landing, but be careful, I found it is very easy to accidentally engage throttle when varying the CROW amount for a nice hand catch/landing at your feet. After a near miss, I changed my throttle active range to the upper +30-100 to give a bigger 'dead' band between zero CROW and the throttle.
Open9X made my day. I was planning to get 8FG but decided to stick on 9X after flashing open9x over er9x. Never used 9X with standard firmware.

I mean that when I push elevator stick down (elevator up) then flaps go down to give more aggressive effect for elevator - mostly for ele/ail turns without rudder. I have also seen that tendency to get nose up when throttle is on, have to give small touch of down elevator when engine is on. Otherwise it will pop nose up and stall.

Glide
Not yet tested it, so this part is still "under construction" area. Middle beep on throttle stick and stick set to quite stiff. I still fly most of the flight on Start-phase...

Landing
Yes, throttle starts roughly somewhere around 10 or over (9 point curve, 4 last used for -100 to 100) , so there is a safety margin and I also have beep set on when throttle stick goes to middle - also haptic kicks at that time.