HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:23 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude54ht View Post
Hi, New here and to the S 107. Have had many good flights with 2 107s lost power in the bottom motor in one of the birds and the top motor in the other. I removed the motors and they both bench tested good. Reinstalled the motors, nothing! Whats going on?
Welcome to RCG and S107 thread.

To be frank, I'm a little stumped by the descriptions of the problem. Please tell me more. How did you bench test them? The motors are still soldered to the PCB, but you applied DC voltage directly to the motor? Or did you remove the motors from the helicopter, bench tested them and re-installed them?

When you said "nothing", the motors did not turn, or did they turn, but the rotors didn't turn. Assuming for a second that you had the motors off from the frame. When the motors were not there, were you able to spin the rotors freely? I'm asking to see if there is anything binding the rotors, causing the motor to seize.

Anyway, I'm interested in finding out more. Please give us more details, pictures, or videos if you can.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SysCrusher View Post
Hi guys, new S107 user here and generally a new rc heli user.

Got one for Christmas from my wife and it's a blast to play with. She originally bought me a airhog heli replay which really sucked straight out of the box and really over priced at wally world. She replaced it with the Syma S107 which was only 25 dollars shipped.

After I got used to it, I wanted the need for speed, so on came modding it. I tried everything with no luck in what I was after. I scrounged the parts from the air hog, battery and one of the main motors with the longer shaft. What I did was removed the charging circuit from the airhog's battery and soldered it in parallel with the S107 battery. Then removed the original S107 tail motor, then with a razor blade, gently cut the S107 tail housing right down the middle of the back of it. Soldered in the airhog main motor, in reverse since the colors of the wires are reversed, and the housing now clamps just right around the motor. Used the original S107 tail prop but I had to use a small needle file to make the hole slightly larger to get the prop on. Removed all the tail dressing, I broke the landing gear so I removed that till I get another one. Removed that small weight in the nose.

With all that, it hovers perfectly balanced and really moves pretty darn fast now forward and reverse. It's more of a blast to play with now. Charging time I have no idea yet as I have only charged it maybe half way to get a good 5 minutes flight time out of it. But it's alot of fun now. Can't wait for a calm air night to try it outside for more room.

Just thought I 'd share my findings. Now I need to get a bigger one.

hypertek, that battery looks like it's missing the charging circuit. Might be why it's in the shape it is now.
Pictures would be nice. I think I follow what you did for the tail motor, essentially replacing the stock tail motor with something bigger and more powerful. If you need speed, and do not care too much for equally effective reverse speed, you should try the Picooz blades at the tail.

I am a little lost about the battery mod. Did you add a battery in parallel? You might add more capacity that way, but you are adding weight - the opposite of what you want in pursuit of speed. Reconsider taking the 2nd battery off. But relocate the battery as forward as possible to offset the bigger motor at the tail. Once you replace the skids, you would have better balance.

Weight reduction is the key for speed.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
Yeah! I know I going to have fun! Pics. Well This mat take some time till I figure out how to do that I just figured it was clone because of youtube and postings (ie the Dancer) decalal
fishandflying is offline Find More Posts by fishandflying
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:49 PM
stude54ht
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
I removed the motors for the bench test, dc voltage, ran great, and reinstalled them, the motors front in one, aft in the other. They did not run in the helicopters. No binding in the rotor shafts
stude54ht is offline Find More Posts by stude54ht
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:00 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2013
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
HI and welcome to RCG!

Do you have some pictures of your heavily modded bird?
Right here. Seems to have taken a good hour to charge, light is blinking now.
SysCrusher is online now Find More Posts by SysCrusher
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,494 Posts
In other words, I assume that voltage is absent on the PCB pads where the motors in questions are connected to. Bigger question than is why?

I have not encountered this problem before, and strangely, it didn't happen to just one helicopter, but both helicopters except for the other motor. Where is my "scratching my head" emoticon?

My only theory is that one of the FETs have gone bad. Do you see any melted FETs?
Last edited by Heli Pad; Jan 05, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:07 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,251 Posts
Is the trim knob on the TX centered?
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:07 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2013
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Pictures would be nice. I think I follow what you did for the tail motor, essentially replacing the stock tail motor with something bigger and more powerful. If you need speed, and do not care too much for equally effective reverse speed, you should try the Picooz blades at the tail.

I am a little lost about the battery mod. Did you add a battery in parallel? You might add more capacity that way, but you are adding weight - the opposite of what you want in pursuit of speed. Reconsider taking the 2nd battery off. But relocate the battery as forward as possible to offset the bigger motor at the tail. Once you replace the skids, you would have better balance.

Weight reduction is the key for speed.
Just posted the pictures. I agree about the battery, but just wanted to see how well it worked, and just had to tinker. It's fully charged now, so I'll see if the flight time is any better. May try your suggestion later on. The landing skids may balance it out better. I wanted the ability to have a decent reverse speed as well, so the motor swap was a worthy choice for me. Turned out great I think.
SysCrusher is online now Find More Posts by SysCrusher
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:17 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Right here. Seems to have taken a good hour to charge, light is blinking now.

I think of the yellow bird from Angry Birds when I see a S107G w/o skids like that. Must be quite zippy to fly!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,494 Posts
Angry Birds Helicopter

Hehe, couldn't resist posting this:

Get 'em pigs!
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Is the trim knob on the TX centered?
On these coaxial helicopters, even if I maxed out the trim setting, the relative speed difference on the rotors are not that great. Both rotors should still be turning fast. So, I don't think the trim could cause such havoc.

I'm still stumped.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:12 PM
stude54ht
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
In other words, I assume that voltage is absent on the PCB pads where the motors in questions are connected to. Bigger question than is why?

I have not encountered this problem before, and strangely, it didn't happen to just one helicopter, but both helicopters except for the other motor. Where is my "scratching my head" emoticon?

My only theory is that one of the FETs have gone bad. Do you see any melted FETs?
Now my ignorance surfaces, FETs? 5min. later found broken wire to aft motor... fixed! still ignorant.
stude54ht is offline Find More Posts by stude54ht
Last edited by stude54ht; Jan 05, 2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: add text
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:41 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,494 Posts
That's it? I was stumped by a broken wire? Two helicopters, similar problem?

I was beginning to theorize that perhaps the electrons in the nuclear dielectric wrap drive reactor might be getting ionized by the solar flare causing a misalignment and a pico voltage spike of some kind. LOL. I'm so full of it!

Glad that you found the problem and fixed it. Happy flying, mate.
Last edited by Heli Pad; Jan 05, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:43 PM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
I scrounged the parts from the air hog, battery and one of the main motors with the longer shaft.
Awesome, I just happen to also have a worthless air hog sitting here and I was thinking about the need for speed for the S107 my wife also bought me for Christmas. I will have to look into this, I would like to take the air hog apart for sure I might as well get some fun out of it.
majoraward is offline Find More Posts by majoraward
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:05 PM
Minister of the Obvious
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Wow, 4.2v is a full charge for a Lipo. The battery sounds healthy. Front LED is working, so the power got through the board. I must admit, I've not encounter this particular situation. It appears that part of that board has failed, the start-up initialization did not complete. Therefore, there is no response. Short of replacing the board, I don't know how to fix this. Anyone else?

Do you have the option of returning or exchanging this sample? If so, I would take it if I were you. This is a very unusual problem.
A quick visit to the neighborhood hobby store confirmed that the PCB needed replacing. It was the S107R5 board. I finally got my hands on a replacement yesterday and installed it today.

Except for the fact that I broke the switch while reassembling the frame, the install was otherwise successful. I have to use a small screwdriver to turn it off and on the helicopter but I can still call it a net win.

Thanks to all for the advice and info.
brandtb is offline Find More Posts by brandtb