SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2005, 08:21 PM
2ManyHobbies2LittleTime
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Sep 2003
363 Posts
Introducing FlightLites - A Simple and Affordable R/C Lighting System

You may have seen mention of this system on several threads here on RCgroups or maybe you saw the review posted a couple of weeks ago by John Warren (http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4809). Well, the wraps are off and the FlightLights system is ready for prime time!

About a year ago I designed a lighting system for my Twinstar. I wanted realistic strobe patterns and also the ability to see my plane at night. Once I built the system and showed it to a few friends, it was obvious that this had the makings of a great commercial product.

Fast-forward past a year of designing, prototyping, beta testing and sourcing, and the product line is ready for release. I feel I've met my goal of an easy-to-use, affordable system that outperforms similar systems on the market today.

The line currently consists of the following items (please visit http://www.flightlites.com for full descriptions):

FlightLites Controller - $19.95 MSRP

The Controller is the heart and mind of the FlightLites system. Here are the hilights:
  • Easy to install - just plug it in to your receiver for power
  • Four user-selectable lighting programs
  • Five LED outputs - no soldering!
  • Microprocessor-controlled
  • Controller weight under 6g stock, under 4g stripped down
  • 90-day full-replacement warranty

FlightLites Power Converter - $13.95 MSRP

The Power Converter is a voltage regulator module that allows you to power your FlightLites Controller from any external power source (ie, battery) from 7 to 24 volts DC. Hilights include:
  • Includes a 9v battery connector easily modified for other battery types
  • Supplies 5v at over 1000mA (that's a lot of LEDs!)
  • Great choice if your servos are close to the limit on power draw
  • Great for large-scale and IC aircraft

FlightLites LED Lamps
The FlightLites system offers a large variety of lamps for different applications. All lamps offer the following features:
  • Ultra-bright LED bulbs
  • Integrated resistor - allows use with any 5v power supply
  • 36"-long twisted-pair wire to minimize noise
  • Color-coded wires to help identify LEDs on location and at controller
  • 2-prong plug on controller-end of wire

What sets our lamps apart from the rest are the availability of Ultra360 LEDs. These LED are custom-manufactured ultra-bright LEDs that have a diffused lens. While typical high-brightness LEDs have a tight, focused beam, you can't see them very well from anywhere but directly in front of them. Ultra360 lamps can be seen from any direction, yet still retain their high brightness. These are the most versatile lamps we offer, though we also have traditional focused LEDs for use as directional strobes and landing lights. These lights need to be seen to be believed! Take a look at our LED Info page for a closer look with more technical details (and lots of pictures!): http://www.flightlites.com/ledinfo.html

FlightLites Controller Kit - $39.95 MSRP

The FlightLites Controller Kit is a "starter package" to get your plane lit up in a hurry. The kit contains a FlightLites Controller and Five (5) LEDs: 1 each Red and Green Ultra360 for wing-mounted position lights, 1 White Ultra360 for the tail-mounted marker light, and 2 White Ultra360 Strobe lamps.
The is the ideal way to establish your system, and you can always swap, add, or remove LEDs at a later time. It's also possible to have multiple sets of LEDs installed in different aircraft and simply share a Controller between airplanes.

There is much more to say about FlightLites, and you can find it all at our website: http://www.flightlites.com. We've established a User Forum to talk about and show off your installations, and there is a Gallery with pictures and videos of FlightLites in action.

FlightLites products are currently available at a few dealers and the list is growing. Ask for them at your local hobby shop, or if you can't find them, you can purchase directly off the web site.

Feedback is crucial, especially as this product gets up and running, so please e-mail us with any comments, questions, or suggestions. We'd love to hear from you.

Meanwhile, I'll still be lurking on RCgroups, asking stupid questions and buying too much stuff from the ForSale forum Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Thanks for reading!

Jeff Swayze
Leading Edge Development
jswayze is offline Find More Posts by jswayze
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:11 PM
Registered abuser
USA, IL, Deerfield
Joined Jan 2004
266 Posts
Does anyone know where one can purchase left over Flightlite controllers and LEDs?

Norb
Norb is offline Find More Posts by Norb