HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Aug 2013
51 Posts
good luck with it!

In the past month I have purchased Phoenix RC with a DX6i (best money I've spent) and then a few days later went and picked up an MCPX to see how the sim translates to real life. About a week later I came across the tower hobbies deal for the Axe 100 CP for $49 and couldn't pass it up. The mcpx is definitely zippier and for a beginner like myself that can be a bit daunting. With that said I really like the MCPX but I also love the AXE 100 CP. It seems a little underpowered compared to the MCPX and much less intimidating but it's super stable. In fact, I had it inverted on the first flight and I've only been flying for a couple of weeks. If by chance you come across another $50 then I would definitely suggest that you pick up that axe 100.

Good luck with the MCPX!
dpgfla is offline Find More Posts by dpgfla
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2013, 05:00 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
What did you use for a transmitter? The $49 price is not for RTF version. It doesn't work with your DX6i, does it?
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 22, 2013, 06:51 PM
Joined Aug 2013
51 Posts
It works perfectly with my dx6i because I have an anylink. I look at it this way. You invested in a good radio that will bind to any "BNF" heli/plane. Having the anylink will then allow you to bind to any TX-R model. I already had a 1SQ quad and a heli max MD-530 so it was a no brainer.

After you spend some time with that MCPX i'd definitely consider the Axe 100 if they're still on sale. Having 2 CP heli's to choose from has been great for me -Especially since my MCPX has been out of commission so often (broken tail booms). I can also fly one while the other is cooling down. No downtime.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 06:57 PM
Joined Aug 2013
51 Posts
Sorry, I replied to you thinking you were the OP but in fact you aren't.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:05 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
No problem. You are passing on good info.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 03, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2013
51 Posts
uh

I take back what I said about the AXE 100 CP. It's been a great heli but after about 2 weeks of owning it the motor and/or the batteries are going bad. At this point i'm only getting about 2 minutes of flight before it can't produce enough power to keep it in the air. This is the 3rd Heli-Max product i've owned and I think i'm done with their models.

1SQ - bad board.
MD530 - batteries lasted about 2 days
AXE 100 CP - bad batteries and/or motor after 2 weeks

Up until now Hobbico has been great about replacing bad parts but i'm almost afraid to call them for this model in fear that they might think i'm taking advantage. This is unfortunate because i've been eyeing their black hawk but from now on i'll be listening to those who have warned me about heli max products and steer clear.

Stick with the MCPX. Once you're comfortable with that move onto something brushless.