SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2009, 02:35 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Discussion
Parkflying In Sacramento, CA

Hello All,

I have been flying at a few parks in the Sacramento area, and have not come across another flyer.

I am wondering where people Parkfly out here, and if there are normal times you meet up?

I am flying a Freewing F-35 EDF, Freewing F-15 EDF, and a custom Parkzone Stryker.

Where is everybody in Sacramento?
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2009, 11:48 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Theres a bunch of folks in Sac. Look into the group NAC They are trying to lock down a solid club field but until then they meet up on the weekends. I dont fly to often really, I build mostly. I like to get in my flying at a handful of events and meets.

Otherwise I take my parkies to the school up the block, get in my 3-4 packs without drawing attention and go home.

Adam
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:03 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
Theres a bunch of folks in Sac. Look into the group NAC They are trying to lock down a solid club field but until then they meet up on the weekends. I dont fly to often really, I build mostly. I like to get in my flying at a handful of events and meets.

Otherwise I take my parkies to the school up the block, get in my 3-4 packs without drawing attention and go home.

Adam
Do you have more information about this "NAC" group? Like maybe where to find them, a website maybe?

The quarter mile running track at the high scool I posted a picture of is just asking to be used as a runway. I am suprised I have not met anyone there. I flew the today for a couple hours in the morning. My Dad cam out and flew his Parkzone Corsair with me.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:44 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
I found a great spot out in Elk Grove, they are developing a shopping mall and have build streets around it, there is a short dead end road (The Runway!) and endless open field to fly in.

Its off the Grant Line Exit, on the side of the mall thats being built (very Slowly) opposite the 99 freeway. I have met other guys there a couple times, people ride ATVs on a hill nearby the spot, it seems to be an "Anything goes" kind of area for now. If your looking for a place to fly for free, this is a great spot for now!
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:38 PM
Northern CA
Joined Mar 2006
194 Posts
NAC has been inactive for a long time. Flying in flat sac in a park is tecnically illegal as the parks and rec have rules against it. The old 12 & C flying site is back sort of. Half the property is now a dog park but the far end of the lot is open. You can't drive your car back there though.
LtDan is offline Find More Posts by LtDan
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:55 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
NAC has been inactive for a long time. Flying in flat sac in a park is tecnically illegal as the parks and rec have rules against it. The old 12 & C flying site is back sort of. Half the property is now a dog park but the far end of the lot is open. You can't drive your car back there though.
When you say 12 and C, are you talking about the big open looking area up and left of the actual intersection?

I know flying in most "Parks" is not technically legal. I dont like to fly around people (An accident would be unlikely, but very very bad). I am pretty happy with my spot out in Elk Grove, its a short drive.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:55 AM
Northern CA
Joined Mar 2006
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
When you say 12 and C, are you talking about the big open looking area up and left of the actual intersection?

I know flying in most "Parks" is not technically legal. I dont like to fly around people (An accident would be unlikely, but very very bad). I am pretty happy with my spot out in Elk Grove, its a short drive.
9.36.068 Games.
The playing of rough or comparatively dangerous games such as football, baseball, horseshoes, soccer or of any
games involving thrown, hit, or otherwise propelled objects such as golf balls, balls of other description, stones,
arrows, javelins, or model airplanes is prohibited except in fields, courts, or areas specifically provided therefor
or, with express permission of the director, in areas compatible to said use.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:03 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,145 Posts
Been trying to get a Park Pilot site in Roseville for a couple months now but can't get anyone from Parks and Rec to respond.
I've been flying at parks and schools like everyone else. Haven't been chased off yet.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:24 PM
Northern CA
Joined Mar 2006
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
Yes, That is the area, several years ago our city fathers gave us permission to fly there. Electric only, no glow (noise) needed to have an AMA license. Then about a year ago one city father came out and informed us that half of the area that we were flying on was soon to be a dog park, won't that be great. But, that when the dog park was finished that we could return to flying on the unused other half, but you can't drive to that location you have to walk it in. We kinda put it together that God help us if someone put a plane in the dog park, so for the most part we have stayed away. The property originally was the parking lot (all asphalt) for the city garbage trucks I would guess 5 acres of pavement. Then they brought in 2-3 feet of fill dirt to construct the park and fenced us out for almost a year. I have never been back.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 04:45 PM
the next Sean Tucker
Sackatomatoes, CA
Joined Apr 2009
67 Posts
When I flew last year it was almost always at the little neighborhood park where I live in Rancho Cordova. Another place I once pulled over, right after a work-related meeting on my way home, and flew was a giant parking lot that's always empty at McClellan AFB (now closed). It worked out great. No people. No cars. Just big, flat, pavement.

I rekitted my super cub and now I'm itching to build something and start flying again. I'm itching to acquire a little pitts and see how long before I rekit it due to my big leap in twitchyness from the Super Cub to a Pitts. I'm also drooling over the Park Monocoupe - beautiful airplane.

I understand that a group of guys has been flying back where I used to fly full scale - the site of the old Natomas Airport. It's got paved streets now and lots of udeveloped lots from what I understand. It would be ironic me showing up there to fly a model after all these years...
Pittsaholic is offline Find More Posts by Pittsaholic
Old May 06, 2010, 06:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsaholic View Post
When I flew last year it was almost always at the little neighborhood park where I live in Rancho Cordova. Another place I once pulled over, right after a work-related meeting on my way home, and flew was a giant parking lot that's always empty at McClellan AFB (now closed). It worked out great. No people. No cars. Just big, flat, pavement.

I rekitted my super cub and now I'm itching to build something and start flying again. I'm itching to acquire a little pitts and see how long before I rekit it due to my big leap in twitchyness from the Super Cub to a Pitts. I'm also drooling over the Park Monocoupe - beautiful airplane.

I understand that a group of guys has been flying back where I used to fly full scale - the site of the old Natomas Airport. It's got paved streets now and lots of udeveloped lots from what I understand. It would be ironic me showing up there to fly a model after all these years...

hello, please check PM.
Thanks.
foamcrazee is offline Find More Posts by foamcrazee
Old May 06, 2010, 09:58 PM
Joined Jun 2009
252 Posts
I live in Folsom, and i usually fly at a park nearby or an elementary school in orangevale (decent sized lot out back). My favorite spot though when available is in Rancho at cordova high. Between the high school and junior high there is a very large area grass area with blacktop basketball courts next to it.

Belem - just saw over in the radian thread that you recently got one. Good choice, one of my favorite planes! Thats one that i feel comfortable flying at almost any size site, once you get used to getting it to actually come down
Nickbm3 is offline Find More Posts by Nickbm3
Old May 06, 2010, 10:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickbm3 View Post
My favorite spot though when available is
in Rancho at cordova high.
Between the high school and junior high there
is a very large area grass area with blacktop
basketball courts next to it.
is the red area on the map you are talking about?

Thanks
Old May 06, 2010, 11:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickbm3 View Post
My favorite spot though when available is in Rancho
at cordova high. Between the high school and junior high
there is a very large area grass area with blacktop
basketball courts next to it.

or... are you talking about the red circle on this map?
Old May 06, 2010, 11:11 PM
Joined Jun 2009
252 Posts
Yah thats one of the areas, including the whole track area... track makes a decent landing strip. The area with a read border below is where i was actually talking about (i scribbled red on the same area you did for reference), its a really nice big area when you can get back there and no one is practicing. the area bordered by coloma rd with four baseball diamonds on the corners is good too for belly floppers when there is football practice.

PS the two red "x's" is where my first plane (EZ star) disappeared into last year

Okay, my screenshot skills are weak, you beat me to it.
Nickbm3 is offline Find More Posts by Nickbm3