HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2014, 07:58 AM
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
Discussion
Hero 3 stops recording/locks up

I'm pretty new to the quad world, and have the Phantom 2 in Naza-M mode with H3-3D gimbal, GoPro Hero 3, Storm All-in-One Deluxe, and the iOSD Mini, and noticed the gimbal gets incredibly hot after a few moments of operation. As a result, the GoPro will stop recording and eventually will shut off/lock up (which I imagine is due to some heat protection in the battery but I'm not sure).

I noticed that this problem started after installing the Storm All-in-One FPV system. Even though I recording stopped (after approx. 30 seconds or so), I was able to view my first two successive flights on the FPV monitor. After removing the Hero 3 from the gimbal, I noticed that the red light was on in the back and the camera would not respond to any of the buttons.

I've flown the P2 numerous times before installing the FPV system and iOSD Mini, and was able to record all flights without issue.

Has anyone else experienced this type of issue? If so, any insight as to what I should start checking would be greatly appreciated.
xboxx is offline Find More Posts by xboxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2014, 04:19 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,301 Posts
The GP3B does get hot. However, the air circulating around it during flight normally is enough to prevent it from shutting down. You may be drawing more current because of the video down link but that is speculation. I have a 2D on one of my P2's and it has iOSD mini, AVL58 video downlink and the 2.4gHz data link installed. It does not overheat.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jun 04, 2014, 03:20 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,590 Posts
Are you sure you are getting the proper voltages to your OSD, Gimbal etc? The GoPro is 5v.... too much and you can damage it...
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Jun 04, 2014, 05:54 AM
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
I never considered the GoPro and other components may not be getting proper voltage, as I've not heard of others having issues with that. I'll look into it, and thanks for the tip.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:11 AM
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
Just an update to this post. I was able to ascertain that my memory card could not handle the 2.7K mode, so I dropped it down to 1080p 60fps and haven't experienced any further issues with the Hero 3 locking up. I have a new card coming (one of the recommended cards on the GoPro site), so we'll see what happens when it gets here.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:34 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,301 Posts
xboxx thank you for the update. I always use the fastest card that is available. With the higher resolutions you are dealing with a lot of streaming data.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800