HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:41 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Last edited by bradymartin; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:07 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Last edited by bradymartin; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:49 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
my only experience with planes up until now is the hobby zone champ. ive had it about a month and i think im ready for ailerons, well not really but this plane has vi i think its a good safe intelligent choice to skip the super cub and get this one.

i figure i can use the dx4 and bind my champ and mcx2 and get the full range deal everyone keeps talking about.

this thing is over $300 bucks with extra batteries and stock charger though, huge investment. have it inj my cart at hobby zone. i still cant pull the trigger
This might be late, but if this is too much at this time for you take a look at the Hobbyzone Firebird Startos. $129 RTF and uses cheaper 7.4 batteries. I get my batteries from Value Hobby, http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...300mah-2s.html

I've been watching this thread on this plane because I have a friend who is looking to move up from a Super Cub. My son has been doing great with his Stratos and it has proven to be a good first 'large' plane. I agree a BNF Basic would be a nice option, something like just the plane deleting the charger, battery and transmitter. If that configuration were offered at a price point of $150-$180 I think I would consider it for my son since we are already well set up with batteries, DX6i, and charger.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jrtubb; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:05 PM
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Ive had mine for about a week as a trainer.. I knew i would be good flying. This thing is a piece of cake to fly, floats well, does loops, barrow rolls, lands super smooth.. felt good but i need something a bit higher in speed and skill level. I just posted my brand new one up for sale.
Djreversal is offline Find More Posts by Djreversal
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:16 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
just curious did you turn virtual instructor off and fly it that way?
Luisfc1972 is offline Find More Posts by Luisfc1972
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:58 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
207 Posts
Mine just before maiden. I bound it to my futaba 9c and set up the VI. It is a very relaxing flyer. I set the flight timer for 10 minutes and there is juice to spare. Four packs on the first day with nothing to complain about.
HunnerBunner is offline Find More Posts by HunnerBunner
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:01 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,063 Posts
Nice pic HB...

I like the detail work on the prop and spinner. Does the front wheel wiggle at all from side to side or is it firm, like the T-28?

John
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:31 PM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
There is a little bit of play in the front wheel if you work it with your hand, but on the ground and rolling, it is smooth. I flew at the local Club RC Field with grass runway cropped nice and short and despite the scale wheels, it rolled straight and took off just fine. Does not roll well at my local park with standard lawn cut grass, though, so we just hand launch it when we fly there.
TexasRob is offline Find More Posts by TexasRob
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Feb 2013
61 Posts
i wouldn't have put a deposit on something thats uncertain. i bought my sportsman from hobbyzone cuz they have an outlet store i can drive to. got the plane the same day. and i can get any parts the same day as well.
davidstroman is offline Find More Posts by davidstroman
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
I got a pleasant surprise last night when I went to fit check the GoPro mount on the Glasair. The curved mount that comes with the GoPro fits PERFECTLY at the exact point of CG on the top of the wing. Since the camera will be tilted slightly forward I put the mount just a hair behind CG, but the curve of the mount matches up perfectly with the curve of the wing. Should be very solid.

Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
Here is a Glasair flight filmed with a GoPro HERO3. Instead of just flight footage, I synchronized the flight to a song, which makes it more fun and more challenging!

Glasair Sportsman GoPro HERO3 Flight 1 720p (3 min 53 sec)
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:39 PM
1st to the scene of the crash
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2012
1,916 Posts
Good job very video and flying, thanks for sharing.
Laneritc is online now Find More Posts by Laneritc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:27 PM
Life Is Good.
Texas
Joined Jan 2011
566 Posts
Here's a video of my Glasair flap modification and operation.
I'm running an e-Flite P10 with a 10x7e prop on a 40 Amp ESC. Also switched out the stock receiver for a Spektrum AR6210.

Hobbyzone Glasair With Flaps (1 min 3 sec)
FlyinCowboy is offline Find More Posts by FlyinCowboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:40 AM
Joined Feb 2013
61 Posts
im so jealous of ur flaps nicely done. any videos of flight with flaps deployed yet?
davidstroman is offline Find More Posts by davidstroman
Old May 10, 2013, 06:07 PM
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined May 2013
239 Posts
After reading all these great posts I had to have one of these Glasair Sportsmans.
I have it, now if the wind will let me fly.
Oh yeah I have time on a real Flight sim and a few flights with a Champ. Hope this is really beginer friendly.
Rick in AZ
AZdigger is offline Find More Posts by AZdigger