This looks interesting!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hit-zoomabl...171414985.html
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:58 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,410 Posts
I've looked at the zoomable map - and just didn't comprehend the sheer scale of bombs that were dropped!!

Kudos to our parents and grandparents who had to 'live' through that!!
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:14 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,139 Posts
Here's the link to the actual map:

http://bombsight.org/#16/51.5080/-0.1080

That is amazing.
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,820 Posts
Wow, it is amazing that anything was left standing when you look at the zoomed out view.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:52 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
618 Posts
And when you realise that was only one city, ok the one hit the most, but many other cities in the UK got hit and being smaller got hit comparatively as hard.
My mother spent the Manchester blitz hiding under the stairs at night and going to school the next morning past streets with gaps where houses had been bombed, then sitting in a class with gaps corresponding with the bombed houses.
To a certain extent the civilians living in the cities in Britain were in more danger than the soldiers.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:57 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post

Kudos to our parents and grandparents who had to 'live' through that!!
What about you?? Didn't you get your name form the Normans when they came through a few years before that????
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:08 PM
Santo, Tx. La Tierra de Dios
Joined Nov 2005
151 Posts
In 1946, my mother, sister and I came up the English Channel on a troop ship to Southhampton. The channel was still mined, but the tug boats knew where most of them were. Being quite young, I wasn't bothered much, but I can remember my mother was quite concerned, having seen the damage they were capable of on the newsreels.
A woman who lives a few miles north of me rode the blitz out, along with her family, in London. She told me about the bombs exploding, demolished houses and buildings and lost lives. It's hard to imagine the bravery of all those people, and I wonder how people would act today.
Whizz is offline Find More Posts by Whizz
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:12 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz View Post
In 1946, my mother, sister and I came up the English Channel on a troop ship to Southhampton. The channel was still mined, but the tug boats knew where most of them were. Being quite young, I wasn't bothered much, but I can remember my mother was quite concerned, having seen the damage they were capable of on the newsreels.
A woman who lives a few miles north of me rode the blitz out, along with her family, in London. She told me about the bombs exploding, demolished houses and buildings and lost lives. It's hard to imagine the bravery of all those people, and I wonder how people would act today.
Pretty much the same, if their reaction during the IRA bombing campaigns of the late 20th century is any guide.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:53 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz View Post
The others they just guessed at??

I was born in the area of Southampton which was heavily bombed. I've still got a 1 1/2 inch scar on my hand were I climbed through the broken window of a bombed out house, but didn't notice the shard of glass sticking up..

I put my palm on the window frame and then leaned on it to climb into the window...

(I ran back home and wrapped a bandage around it, to hide it from my parents who would have smacked me for doing such a thing... )

Good times, huh!!!
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:57 PM
Santo, Tx. La Tierra de Dios
Joined Nov 2005
151 Posts
My father was an instructor pilot here in the States for the first two years of the war because he had a commercial liscense when he ellisted, and IP's were in big demand. After many requests, he was finally sent to England. As the war in Europe was winding down, he got transferred to Tulsa, Ok. where he was checked out in P61 Black Widows and then sent to the Pacific. The war came to an end and he didn't have to go. He then volunteered for the occupation, and thats the reason why my mother, sister an I were there. He later went on to fly the Berlin air lift.
Whizz is offline Find More Posts by Whizz