HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:00 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,284 Posts
Well done Eric...EXCELLENT landing .......looked so real long and slowish...You seem to be well catered for with that long paved runway...I wondered how long it would take for someone to put in 2 motors...Congratulations...A job WELL DONE>>>
agedflier is offline Find More Posts by agedflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:11 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorfly View Post
Hi Eric

Yes my Sea Vixen wobbles /waggles and I'm sure it's all the drag from the hanging stff. I notice it more just after a turn when you loose the air speed and just about to accelater and pick it up again.

I don't worry about it so much any more, its part of the parcel to make the jet look good.

Hanging on to see the twin 60s Vixen go up.
Thanx for the reply. I did not see any waggle on the, not so slow Sea Vixen 2. Speed might be the answer.

I did find the 70mm had loose ordinance. I glued it/them so it/they was/were firm again. Will report after next flight.

E,
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:42 AM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,906 Posts
Fantastic. Looks like the project was a very nice success! Sounds pretty incredible.------Metalguy
metalguy is online now Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:38 AM
Rutland, England
Joined Feb 2005
219 Posts
Well done Eric and, on behalf of all those who've been following this, many thanks for sharing it all with us. It was great fun

One thing i seemed to notice on the soundtrack is that you're sometimes getting interference beats at some parts of the relative throttle curve(s) for the two motors. Some experimentation playing with the shape of each curve might improve this (if) you wanted too... but really... it's all so impressive many would say 'who cares'

If you do ever feel like/have time to connect up a watt-meter and some means of measuring thrust (i use a simple *0-2Kgf spring balance, v. cheap and works a treat) then me (and i guess many others around the world) would be VERY interested in the overall grams per watt (g/w) that you're getting for the combined units. When you're flying Vixen 2 at similar thrust levels to your Vixen 1 i'd bet large money on g/w being considerably higher/better than for the single turbine arrangement - this would reflect in longer flight times... however... i also suspect that the extra thrust available in V2 will be used to give-it-welly most of the time; put another way, you'll have to be controlled to achieve those longer flights!

Well done, and and excellent result.

Rgs, Andy

*you might need one with a bigger scale
Andy B is offline Find More Posts by Andy B
Last edited by Andy B; Feb 18, 2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Waterlooville
Joined Aug 2011
55 Posts
Well done Eric, superb! If it's any help my Sea Vixen waggles/wobbles if there is any wind at all, seems to get affected by even minor turbulence, and I don't have any of the under wing armaments fitted. It's better going fast than slow but still waggles anyway. But I still love it... :-)
Andy
palmera is offline Find More Posts by palmera
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:36 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
Nicely done Eric.......yes, the SV can waggle (fishtail) gently with the ordinance attached (mine runs with only the drop tanks and does not waggle) I did mention this early on.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:30 AM
The faster the better!
Southern England
Joined Jan 2009
1,764 Posts
Great job Eric that sound is brillant
TLMARK is online now Find More Posts by TLMARK
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:47 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,646 Posts
Very nicely done Eric.

Re: Using viewfinders vs. looking at small screens on video recorders

I know what you mean. It's hard to find good videographers. There is one guy at our field who found a big viewfinder that attaches with velcro around his Sony video screen that really does a decent job. The best of both worlds. If I find a link to that I'll post it.

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RGS2010; Feb 18, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:21 AM
Česká republika, Hlavní město Praha, Praha
Joined Nov 2011
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
Nicely done Eric.......yes, the SV can waggle (fishtail) gently with the ordinance attached (mine runs with only the drop tanks and does not waggle) I did mention this early on.
Mine waggles even without any ordnance. It seems its related to the wind gusts. At calm it doesn't show, but even a slight breeze will make it dance.

I'm thinking about a gyro on the ailerons, but this waggle is more in yawn than bank, so without a rudder it will not really helps.
amalka is offline Find More Posts by amalka
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:20 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
It's a big old tail, I would expect some effect in wind....particularly cross winds....that said, I can't notice anything on mine but then it's a 6s set up so maybe little extra speed is why, also the fact that I fly at a massive airfeild helps.......I never have to fly cross wind!!!
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:17 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,423 Posts
Ref. "
One thing i seemed to notice on the soundtrack is that you're sometimes getting interference beats at some parts of the relative throttle curve(s) for the two motors. Some experimentation playing with the shape of each curve might improve this (if) you wanted too... but really... it's all so impressive many would say 'who cares' '

I caught it too...Already consulted with the Don, and he counselled that I needed to calibrate each ESC (too much haste on my part when I saw good weather) and also to check the timing on each ESC.

Will do as soon as I complete a new centering spring for my nose leg....

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:41 PM
Rutland, England
Joined Feb 2005
219 Posts
Tis only a minor refinement Eric... you're almost there already!

Have fun,

Andy
Andy B is offline Find More Posts by Andy B
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:00 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,284 Posts
Flying field

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
It's a big old tail, I would expect some effect in wind....particularly cross winds....that said, I can't notice anything on mine but then it's a 6s set up so maybe little extra speed is why, also the fact that I fly at a massive airfeild helps.......I never have to fly cross wind!!!

Where do you fly "Scotty" BIGGIN HILL...lol
agedflier is offline Find More Posts by agedflier
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:03 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,783 Posts
Great job Eric and i'm glad the maidens all went well,it's be a pleasure watching your build series on the twin EDF's,i bet a good few people will get some good info out of it too.

Thanks for sharing.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:45 PM
United Kingdom, England, Waterlooville
Joined Aug 2011
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalka View Post
Mine waggles even without any ordnance. It seems its related to the wind gusts. At calm it doesn't show, but even a slight breeze will make it dance.

I'm thinking about a gyro on the ailerons, but this waggle is more in yawn than bank, so without a rudder it will not really helps.
I've tried a gyro on ailerons and elevator on mine which helps a bit but as you say it really needs it on rudder. I have a small amount of lead on the tail at the moment so I might swap it for a rudder servo, I reckon it would make a big difference with a giro on it.
palmera is offline Find More Posts by palmera