SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:10 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Carlos,

According to Heads up...

GWS EP1060: 37 ounces of thrust at 19 amps. Good choice for maximum performance.

The motor is rated for a max of 22 amps for 30 seconds.

I'm guessing that 9 x7.5 E probably pulls a touch more amps than the 1060, but not much, so should be OK if i stay out of WOT except for short bursts. The ESC came down cool on the test flight tonight. I will keep a close watch on it in flights to come and try to get this set up on a watt meter soon.

Thanks for taking the time to try to help, I appreciate that.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 16, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:18 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Well I don't know about 2 vs 3 blades - haven't used 3 blades much.

BUT - I did sneak in one flight one the P-40 just before dusk and she did fly much better on the 9 x 7.5 prop. She is faster, but the speed does seem to agree with her.

Wolfe
Well, i'm glad it's flying better. That's good news!
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:19 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Thanks, Hit n Run

Wolfe
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
Woah! - Let'd be clear I'm not comparing EPS with EPO, I'm comparing the generation I warbirds - Spit, Me109, Corsair, P51 and Zero which were all around 34-36" wingspan with the generation II - P40, FW 190 which are up around 40" wingspan and quite a bit more substantial in their structure. There is a weight penalty with EPO but not that big! Iv'e got gen II birds in both EPS and EPO and I would probably use the same motor in both.
Yeah, mine are all in that 34"-36" range and EPS, I have had them all for over 4 years now.

I had two P-51's but a telephone pole jumped in front of me one day and she pretty much blew up!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Thanks, Hit n Run

Wolfe
I guess these warbirds just want to fly fast.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:23 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Wolf,

A well balanced prop will generate more thrust and draws less Amps. I'd suggest getting all of your props balanced.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
Zupp Dave
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
New member - First Post

Greetings - I'm a neophyte flyer. My girlfriend bought me a Brookstone helicopter for christmas, you know the indoor infrared type. I now have 5 planes and three helicopters. I recently completed my first build. Wolfe on this thread gave me a GWS F-4U Corsair. Wolfe was with me tonight on her maiden flight. What a thrill! I have about 15-20 hours in building it and I didn't crash on her maiden flight. Thanks Wolfe! SInce I don't have any experience other then the GWS Corsair, I suppose you'll have to take this with a grain of salt. I found this model simple to build. I evidently got it put together pretty straight because it flew very true and smooth. Of course I had a good instructor too! I'll definitely build more GWS planes.

Check out my pics
Mooneypilot60h is offline Find More Posts by Mooneypilot60h
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:21 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Hey Dave

Good to see you on the thread and thanks for posting the pics.

For general info purposes, Dave has only been flying airplanes for about three weeks, and yet was able to maiden his first warbird build with no problems and pull off a nearly perfect landing to boot.. He is also a real life pilot, so he understands the aerodynamics of flight better than most. If he keeps learning at his present rate, I will be taking lessons from him before long LOL.

Chen - I seem to have lost one of the rubber grommets for my balancer - I do usually balance props - guess I need to order a new balancer if I don't find the missing piece pretty soon

Wolfe
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneypilot60h View Post
Greetings - I'm a neophyte flyer. My girlfriend bought me a Brookstone helicopter for christmas, you know the indoor infrared type. I now have 5 planes and three helicopters. I recently completed my first build. Wolfe on this thread gave me a GWS F-4U Corsair. Wolfe was with me tonight on her maiden flight. What a thrill! I have about 15-20 hours in building it and I didn't crash on her maiden flight. Thanks Wolfe! SInce I don't have any experience other then the GWS Corsair, I suppose you'll have to take this with a grain of salt. I found this model simple to build. I evidently got it put together pretty straight because it flew very true and smooth. Of course I had a good instructor too! I'll definitely build more GWS planes.

Check out my pics
Welcome to the addiction!

It's great when you have someone with experience to guide you. My father got me into this hobby many years ago and I hope to pass the fun along to my son as well.

Your Corsair looks GREAT! Nice job on the build, and congrats on a successful maiden flight! (those are the scariest because you don't know what to expect)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:32 PM
Zupp Dave
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
I can see after my first build that patience is key. I'm glad I did a bunch of test before attempting a first flight. I probably went through a full battery (cumulatively) testing linkages, taxiing etc. I sure learned a lot from this build. The next one probably will not take as long to build. Luckily I avoided a catastrophe with some patience.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:39 PM
Zupp Dave
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Thanks "Hit"
You got that right about an addiction! I'm completely hooked! What a kick in the pants! Got my alarm clock set, can't wait for tomorrow morning to come!! Is that bad?.....
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:45 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I still remember my first GWS Corsair flight about 12 years ago. It was my first attempt at a warbird. I took off from a driveway, went about 40 feet and climbed up to about 15 ft and she rolled over and slammed back into the concrete. Lots of pieces, very dejected pilot. I had spent hours on that airplane.

Wolfe
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Mooneypilot60h,

Welcome to enter this great hobby. You have good freind, Wolfe, to fly with at your field. You'll not be free from this sound addiction from now on.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,906 Posts
Welcome, Mooney! These are very fun planes, and MUCH cheaper than the real deal....-------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:34 PM
Zupp Dave
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes!

Thanks guys,
I plan on practicing take offs and landings, precision traffic pattern work for the most part for the near future. I'll be working in some aileron rolls, chandelles and loops too at a safe altitude. I recently joined Largo Flying Club which has a runway. I figure learning to grease landings is a worthwhile endeavor to minimizing hot glue burns on my fingers. I may even put flaps on my p-47 to facilitate slower landing speeds. Then retracts - oh geez here goes the addiction thing again!

More later..............I'll keep you posted

Dave