HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:31 PM
crashing build's character.
United States, AL, Dora
Joined Mar 2008
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead4554 View Post
Its 5 a.m. here...... The perfect time to maiden my tri for someone who hasnt gone to bed yet LOL

(Somedays I feel like a vampire with the hrs. I work)

But just wanted to say excellent job on the tri frame Qrome! And boy... what a difference with the SimmonK firmware for the ESC!! You was right Qrome.. night and day difference!! Thanks again and will be flying this more and more when time allows
i just order me some of those esc. does it make the motors sound diff? i aslo here the you can get longer flite time?
onefastxp is offline Find More Posts by onefastxp
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:18 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastxp View Post
i just order me some of those esc. does it make the motors sound diff? i aslo here the you can get longer flite time?
Flight times are about the same. It is just smoother. Less wobble in a rapid decent and quicker response to the motors. If you ever put your quad in a tight yaw rotation then let it center -- some of the non flashed escs will hesitate to stop the rotation. Flashed ones will respond super quick to stop the rotation. That is just an example. The other is the linear throttle... you may notice that one click up or down on the throttle creates a drastic up or down motion on the quad making it hard to hover in place. With the simonk flashed ESC you get a smoother throttle on the lower end were the throttle curver is more linear and smooth.
Qrome is online now Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:15 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Here is the video from this morning with the #16 Keychain Camera with 120* lens. I am quite happy with it. It is cool to power it from a 5V lead off my MultiWii board. It gives you live video feed down and records at 720p 30fps. Not near as nice as the GoPro, but for $43 -- you can't beat it.

Tricopter FPV with #16 V2 Keychain camera (120* lens) (2 min 56 sec)

Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:47 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,156 Posts
Quote:
Here is the video from this morning with the #16 Keychain Camera with 120* lens. I am quite happy with it. It is cool to power it from a 5V lead off my MultiWii board. It gives you live video feed down and records at 720p 30fps. Not near as nice as the GoPro, but for $43 -- you can't beat it.
Questions questions :

Any links to the cam you bought and the lens too ?
I suspect the lens in the cam is like the other keychain cams, non wide ?
What will the live out do if it stops recording, like if you have a full card ?
So you could also power it from a standard receiver ?

Awsome pic BTW !
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:56 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Questions questions :

1. Any links to the cam you bought and the lens too ?
2. I suspect the lens in the cam is like the other keychain cams, non wide ?
3. What will the live out do if it stops recording, like if you have a full card ?
4. So you could also power it from a standard receiver ?
Oh wow, where shall I start...

First of all, here is the main thread for the camera.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994

1. Do a search on ebay for the key words you see in the video. The seller includes all the cables and extras and free shipping. I got two, both for $43 shipped.

2. No, the lens comes with the 120 installed and working. I only had to go in to the config file and turn on the live video feed out. There is also applications that will help you update firmware and change settings. The lens being 120* was the entire reason I bought this thing. Anything less is worthless for FPV.

3. I power the camera through the USB from an extra 5V port from my MultiWii board. Yes, this could also come from an extra port on your Rx. This prevents the camera from shutting down or running out of battery. I actually flew until the card was full and it does not shut off. It displayed some 0:00:00 in the top of the video feed. It was cool. Half the time I don't even record I just plug it in and turn it on.

4. Yes, you could power it from an extra port from your Rx.

Simply amazing. I say perfect for entry FPV, sport FPV or just a bang around camera. I bought it for my boys to start FPV and not worry about my Hero2.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:00 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,156 Posts
Thanks for the fast and complete answer Qrome Will check this out for sure as I want to fly the tri over water a lot and this would break the bank less if something happens. Cool for smaller planes too. Ain't all this technology great or what !
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:35 AM
Multicopter Addict
Southwest Minnesota
Joined Feb 2010
718 Posts
Back from another successful flight in my front yard. This thing flies like its on rails! Stock settings on multiwii and unbalanced props. Not even sure I'm gunna bother with it since it flies so great. Now to wait till the sun comes up to let it stretch its legs and see what it can do.

LOL its funny watching ppl look at me strange, while I fly it under the street light in the dark
braindead4554 is offline Find More Posts by braindead4554
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:57 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead4554 View Post
LOL its funny watching ppl look at me strange, while I fly it under the street light in the dark
Yep, I have done that... Almost as funny as when they look at you with the goggles on.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:05 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,156 Posts
Best look I got is when I flew in front of a summer house on the beach. I was looking at the house from the tricopter and on the second pass, noticed there was 2 people watching me behind the window

Surprisingly, some peole are aware it is a drone and are curious, others are amazed it is at all possible to remotely pilot the tricopter in FPV.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:10 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Surprisingly, some peole are aware it is a drone and are curious, others are amazed it is at all possible to remotely pilot the tricopter in FPV.
And then there are those that you show them and tell them... "yes, I can see through the camera and fly it remote" -- and they still don't get it. Those are the ones that amaze me.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:13 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,156 Posts
Well, if its a girl in bikini near a pool that doesn't get there is a camera, I don't mind at all
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:40 PM
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Oct 2012
52 Posts
Im a Newbie to all this so please be patient if I seem confused. I am looking into this. is ther anywhere I can buy one of these tri-copters (full size, not the micro) already to fly?
if not, can I get one in complete kit form, everything I need to build and fly it?
if no option, can I get a list of parts or part numbers of everything needed to assemble and fly?
I really have nothing against building it at all, well, except for soldering the electrical stuff... ever watch a 3 year old solder? yeah, thats me! lol
Anyhow, I am pretty confused as to what Ill need to buy, whats good, better, best, whats total junk, how many of what...
thanks all!
zacker is offline Find More Posts by zacker
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:26 PM
United States, CA, Dinuba
Joined Feb 2009
50 Posts
Tts
ttsquirrel is offline Find More Posts by ttsquirrel
Last edited by ttsquirrel; Oct 09, 2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: karma
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:48 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrome View Post
Oh wow, where shall I start...

First of all, here is the main thread for the camera.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994

1. Do a search on ebay for the key words you see in the video. The seller includes all the cables and extras and free shipping. I got two, both for $43 shipped.

2. No, the lens comes with the 120 installed and working. I only had to go in to the config file and turn on the live video feed out. There is also applications that will help you update firmware and change settings. The lens being 120* was the entire reason I bought this thing. Anything less is worthless for FPV.

3. I power the camera through the USB from an extra 5V port from my MultiWii board. Yes, this could also come from an extra port on your Rx. This prevents the camera from shutting down or running out of battery. I actually flew until the card was full and it does not shut off. It displayed some 0:00:00 in the top of the video feed. It was cool. Half the time I don't even record I just plug it in and turn it on.

4. Yes, you could power it from an extra port from your Rx.

Simply amazing. I say perfect for entry FPV, sport FPV or just a bang around camera. I bought it for my boys to start FPV and not worry about my Hero2.
Mind posting a pic of how you mounted the camera and video TX?
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:12 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinr View Post
Mind posting a pic of how you mounted the camera and video TX?
This is the only photo I have right now. The #16 V2 keychain camera has velcro on the bottom and sticks to the Tricopter frame plate. I have a strap that goes over the top of it just for fun. The vTx is standing on the back corner of the frame velcroed in and secured with a zip tie. Really basic.

The camera has a nice option for 5V power in to charge it in flight or in use. I simply run a servo wire from an unused port on the MultiWii board (you could use an extra jack off the Rx). It really is basic and simple. Easy to remove or keep on. When I get home, I just plug in the longer USB cable to read the files.