HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:38 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox View Post
I have had flaps flutter once,I guess I mentioned this in one of my posts.
Problem was in one of flap control horns,tiny slop between clevis and horn.
Was not noticeable at relatively slow speeds,but fluttered on 5S with 16x17 +7degrees spinner.
Yuri.
My linkage is tight as can be,the only play i have is in these overpriced Hyperion servos in there
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:05 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
The new 8mm thin wing servos from Hitech are "rumored" to be outstanding. ;-) Recommend you try em when the are out.
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:31 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
My linkage is tight as can be,the only play i have is in these overpriced Hyperion servos in there
It'll do it
If You can see play in the flaps +/- 1mm dont push her to high speeds
Hitec new 8mm wing servo is amazing with less then amazing price.
Yuri.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:03 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,864 Posts
I heard that "piping" tone coming from an F5B ship when I was at the NEAT Fair up in New York two weeks ago. It happened just about every time he throttled up. I think he was running like around 3 or 5 kW. I was under the impression that was a normal noise.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:14 PM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
969 Posts
I'll look at the "SuperSawtooth" for sport flying. It's likely you're just on the limit of the prop. Id love to see some logs if you could Voodoo?

If you could remind us of the exact setup you're running, motor,esc, batteries, spinner, everything power train related then it will help to figure out the problem. If it turns out to be a prop issue at the powerlevels you are running then I'll seriously look into finding a way to make them stiffer and more suitable for non F5D use.

Ben
SlowBarless is online now Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:58 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Ben,
I think there would be a lot of interest in a Sport Sawtooth that loses a little efficency for some increased robustness. You may even consider a version with a little less pitch too.

As for data logs, there is not much available on the web and the only stuff I've come across is http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=179 and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=352

Great work BTW. I can see you pocketing some of my money in the near future!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
I heard that "piping" tone coming from an F5B ship when I was at the NEAT Fair up in New York two weeks ago. It happened just about every time he throttled up. I think he was running like around 3 or 5 kW. I was under the impression that was a normal noise.

Tim
Usually on F5B's if they are flying slow and throttle up you will hear the props cavitate for a second. You can hear that same type sound when Doug launches.

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drice View Post
That sound seemed to happen after a couple laps, after the speed had built up to a goodly number. I'm thinking it's just indication that you're "on the pipe".

I say...keep it pegged until something breaks.

Kidding aside...it does sound like flutter. It may not be from the motor at all. It could be an aileron or a flap. You may want to take an extra close look at all those connections.
Damn your good It was the flaps,i have never had flutter in the 100's of planes i have build,so did not know what it was all about.Seems the Hyperion metal geared flap servos do not like the Sawtooths,but liked the GM 11X22...well,intel i put 5S in there,then the BRRRRRRRR ! happens also......So what have i learned today,SAWTOOTH PROPS ROCK ! Great work Slowbarless.I ended up putting the Sawtooths back on there (cause they are just so damn cool) and flew it Pylonliner Style.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:18 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,381 Posts
Possible conclusion: the sawtooths produce a faster airflow over the flaps than the GM...
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:21 PM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
806 Posts
Sawtooth props sound so cool! from speed sensors in the plane they are not much faster but they dont lose much when loaded in a turn, which is alot in pylon.

I am working on a new F5D design with the guy behind the sawtooth, you think the prop was crazy!

DE
D.English is offline Find More Posts by D.English
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Possible conclusion: the sawtooths produce a faster airflow over the flaps than the GM...
Could be,but All i know,is i want a set of Sawtooth 14X14 or 16X17
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:51 PM
United States, VA, Manassas
Joined Dec 2007
121 Posts
Airspeed is not the only cause of control surface flutter. Resonance of the prop could be what gets the flutter started. Could try confirming balance of your prop. If balanced, just change it a tiny bit. Perhaps a small amount of CA on one blade to change the resonance. Just a thought.

Brooks
bpbrinson is offline Find More Posts by bpbrinson
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Like 27kph faster! - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=179

Resonance could be the reason but the extra speed is my bet. Eliminating all slop would still have to be the first action even if that means swapping out servos.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.English View Post
...I am working on a new F5D design with the guy behind the sawtooth, you think the prop was crazy!

DE
Got any teaser photos Dave you want to post?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Like 27kph faster! - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=179

Resonance could be the reason but the extra speed is my bet. Eliminating all slop would still have to be the first action even if that means swapping out servos.
To hard,i will tape the flaps first