HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Jun 2009
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_one View Post
I can post pictures but you have to be patient. First problem, the gears are in my first domicile. Because of my job I'm till friday in my second domicile...
Second problem, I removed the gears from the hawk after the abortive trials.But I can explain how I did it. I glued the gear attachments from the main gears next to the servos of my hawk. Next step was cutting a small gap into the nose where I stucked the nose wheels with including gear attachment in. That's it. The gears were easy to remove and strong enough to bear the weght of the jet....
Now I'm curious if the takeoff will work with 3s. When I'm back at home on friday I will try and post pictures or a video....
My second hand MIG-15 arrived today !
So, I started thinking about the things I need to do before the maiden.
One of them is to add wheels since I'm not at all comfortable throwing such a fast and twitchy plane.
So, did you get the chance to take some pictures or video of your plane ?
flylowfast is offline Find More Posts by flylowfast
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:35 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
Flylowfast,
Have you added some expo to your ailerons. I always start at about 60% expo on my ailrons on planes that I feel might be twitchy and go from there.
I hand launch all my planes without worry.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Jun 2009
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
Flylowfast,
Have you added some expo to your ailerons. I always start at about 60% expo on my ailrons on planes that I feel might be twitchy and go from there.
I hand launch all my planes without worry.
I haven't maidened it yet, but I'll try to remember to add some expo when I do.
The problem is that I'm not good at throwing a plane. That's because I can only throw with the right hand and I fly on Mode 2 (ailerons and elevator at the right hand).
Thus, I need to throw the plane, then quickly place my fingers on the right stick and start to correct the trajectory.
I don't feel comfortable doing that.
If the plane was much slower and stable or if I could throw with the left hand, then I would consider it.
Adding wheels seems like the best way to go since for me the take-off and landing are some of the best parts of flying.
Also, I'm not in a rush since the MIG-15 is second in line for maidening.
flylowfast is offline Find More Posts by flylowfast
Last edited by flylowfast; Oct 01, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:02 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
I do it the same way, I fly with my right hand and throw with my right. I have had some close calls, and I was really nervous to maiden my 60mm F86 that way.
But it took off without a hitch.
It is best to get someone else to throw it for your maiden, but you should be fine after that because you should have it trimmed after your first flight to fly straight with a slight climb.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:03 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Joe, tested on my bench with my equipment. Surprised you asked.....

I did post this info in this thread ages ago but it slid past without a blink. Since rewinding one to 9800kV last week I thought it best to set the record straight on everyone saying it was a 9000kV especially if they are buying it for the rating.

I have posted this to hobbyb.com and sydneyrcjets.com product pages as well.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Joe, tested on my bench with my equipment. Surprised you asked.....

I did post this info in this thread ages ago but it slid past without a blink. Since rewinding one to 9800kV last week I thought it best to set the record straight on everyone saying it was a 9000kV especially if they are buying it for the rating.

I have posted this to hobbyb.com and sydneyrcjets.com product pages as well.
Awesome. That's very good to know and thanks for posting that. I was actually hoping for a spec sheet like what is available on the 50mm motors. I'll have to go back and edit my reviews.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,465 Posts
I think I found the issue with the miG-29. Since I robbed the motors and fans out of it for the A-10 project, I ordered two motors and fans from hobbyb. When I installed them in the mig, I noticed the thrust line and realized that that when installed correctly, the bell of the motors should tilt down just a little when viewed from the rear. I used faom glue to tack them to the fuse and set the covers in place. It's far too easy for those fans to be installed incorrect. As the glue was setting, I made sure the thrust line was even between the two with a couple degrees of down. This one is set up now for 3s using an 800 mAh 25C lipo. A quick test flight this morning showed a much improved behavior. Wide open throttle to zero throttle did not result in a pitch up, going to wide open throttle showed almost zero pitch down. Anyone with pitch issues should look at this fix. This beast has been tamed, this model now behaves like it should. In fact, it kicks butt. Cutting the power results in a floaty glide that makes you think...."it's going to stall... It's going to stall... yet it doesn't. It just mushes it's way down.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Oct 02, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:22 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
Nice work Joe, that just goes t show how little I know about EDF. I thought the thrust angle would have to be straight, after all it's just shooting the air straight out the back, right
Thanks for the education.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,465 Posts
Quote:
Nice work Joe, that just goes t show how little I know about EDF. I thought the thrust angle would have to be straight, after all it's just shooting the air straight out the back, right
Thanks for the education.
Well actually, when properly designed it SHOULD exit straight. So in essence, you are correct.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:36 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
It was luck
So the problem with the Mig is actually a design problem.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
So can anyone tell me with these planes if I needs micro rx or can use a normal?
jirish617 is offline Find More Posts by jirish617
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,465 Posts
Quote:
It was luck
So the problem with the Mig is actually a design problem.
Sort of. When you look at the turtle deck ( the part of the fuse that is flat acorss the top and behind the canopy), and look at the relation of the exhaust nozzles, there does appear to be an odd angle. When I initially flew a couple of these, I noticed a pretty stout nose up when the power was chopped and nailing the throttle the nose would get pushed down. These were factory assembled PNP versions. The motor bell was always centered in the exhaust, I thought that's the way it was supposed to be. Since I took out the fans and was looking at a bare fuselage, I noticed the angle. When I replaced the fans and motors, I glued them into place without the covers and when held firmly in place. I noticed the angle of the motor bell was a few degrees down. That's when it hit me, the reason for the pitch problems was due to improper fan mounting. So I got lucky too. I believe the majority of the problems are due to incorrect fan mounting. Should the fan need the change in thrust line? No... but evidently that is how this model is designed. If you want to see a mess, look at the Skyangel A-7/8. The duct has such a curve upward it is shameful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jirish617 View Post
So can anyone tell me with these planes if I needs micro rx or can use a normal?
That depends on the model and the receiver. My F-86 has an orange 6 channel but no remote. Whatever you use better not have a case or suffice to say it's not going to fit. I have some corona receivers that are about the same size as some of the micros, just a difference in servo connector size.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
That depends on the model and the receiver. My F-86 has an orange 6 channel but no remote. Whatever you use better not have a case or suffice to say it's not going to fit. I have some corona receivers that are about the same size as some of the micros, just a difference in servo connector size.
I have an f86 on the way, and i also have one of the micro futaba Rx's on the way, its supposed to be about half the size of a standard rx
jirish617 is offline Find More Posts by jirish617
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:35 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
Joe, thanks for all the info.

jirish, it has to be a micro rx with Molex 3 Pin conectors
Since I have a Spektrum radio I use this one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,465 Posts
Quote:

jirish, it has to be a micro rx with Molex 3 Pin conectors
If the servos use molex connectors.