HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:03 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
2200 battery placement

I like to place my battery so that the velcro strap is just barely over the end of battery. On really windy days (15+mph) I place it 1/4" more forward so the strap is only over the wires.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
I got five packs in today... I got it into a Harrier for almost three seconds before it did this little snap spin looking dance and pointed it's guns at the ground. Later I held a knife edge for... well not for very long.

Big big day indeed. God gave me two thumbs... I need to learn how to use the left one a little better.
AJay Newb is offline Find More Posts by AJay Newb
Last edited by AJay Newb; Oct 05, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
2200 battery placement

I like to place my battery so that the velcro strap is just barely over the end of battery. On really windy days (15+mph) I place it 1/4" more forward so the strap is only over the wires.
The battery bulkhead has been broken enough that shoving it all the way in gives me, I think< a nose heavy airplane that noses down in turns and when reducing power. My plan is to set it at 70 mm plus forward at 1/4" per the manual.

Am I on the right track?
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:25 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Got my CG set at around the 76/78mm.

I allways bring at least my Extra to the field.

I was up at the club flying field today, Flying my Easy Oriole glider , then flew my Raven flyingwing for some combat fun with another member who has the same wing after that I got my Extra out,went though 3 x 2200mAh Li-Pos just zipping around the sky,so on my forth Li-Po I just mess about doing take offs and dead stick landings as I can dead stick my Extra in, like one of my gliders

Just love my extra,it's a fun little plane to keep in my boot..
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
I think< a nose heavy airplane that noses down in turns and when reducing power.
Am I on the right track?
Rick I'm still really new with the Extra but most definately prefer it nose heavy. I use a little cross-rudder to keep the nose from dropping in a turn.

With the CG moved back I have a tendency to balloon on final. With the CG moved forward I can control decent with power and speed with elevator...

The tail moment appears to me to be very short on this plane... I'm not convinced that, "nose heavy" is actually nose... heavy. Like I said, I'm new at flying this thing and have been out of the hobby for a long time. I take a garbage bag to field with me every day...
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:05 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,005 Posts
Newb,
By cross-rudder, do you mean for example that in a left turn, you apply right rudder? Hope not - if so the plane will be mighty uncoordinated, and will be flying sideways through the sky. If that's not what you're doing , my mistake on the misinterpretation.
Left turns, left rudder; right turns, right rudder. As far as keeping the nose up in a turn, a little up elevator will take care of that.
Best,
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay Newb View Post
Rick I'm still really new with the Extra but most definately prefer it nose heavy. I use a little cross-rudder to keep the nose from dropping in a turn.

With the CG moved back I have a tendency to balloon on final. With the CG moved forward I can control decent with power and speed with elevator...

The tail moment appears to me to be very short on this plane... I'm not convinced that, "nose heavy" is actually nose... heavy. Like I said, I'm new at flying this thing and have been out of the hobby for a long time. I take a garbage bag to field with me every day...
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Newb,
By cross-rudder, do you mean for example that in a left turn, you apply right rudder? Hope not - if so the plane will be mighty uncoordinated, and will be flying sideways through the sky. Josh
Yep, cross-rudder... but just a touch. Probably should have added, "at low speed..." Less than half-throttle etc. It just keeps the nose from "sliding down-hill" during a slow, steep turn. Stop by "my" super secret sod farm / flying field and give it a go. You will like it, I promise.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:09 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,005 Posts
I'ma pass on that one - me n unplanned stalls don't exactly get along so well.
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
I'ma pass on that one - me n unplanned stalls don't exactly get along so well.
That's why I always bring a trash bag to the field with me
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined May 2011
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Got my CG set at around the 76/78mm.

I allways bring at least my Extra to the field.

I was up at the club flying field today, Flying my Easy Oriole glider , then flew my Raven flyingwing for some combat fun with another member who has the same wing after that I got my Extra out,went though 3 x 2200mAh Li-Pos just zipping around the sky,so on my forth Li-Po I just mess about doing take offs and dead stick landings as I can dead stick my Extra in, like one of my gliders

Just love my extra,it's a fun little plane to keep in my boot..
I've been closer 80+mm and I'm going to try at 70 in the AM.

Interesting experience today. Steamed the tips to pull out some dings. I noted the foam bends towards the steam. Tried it on the topp of the wing and voila I now have symmetrical tips.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:11 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,666 Posts
Hmm...

Slow flight, crossed controls. Your gonna need that bin bag, it'll spin right into it

Just use the elevator to keep the nose up...
... Please!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:19 AM
Joined May 2011
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Hmm...

Slow flight, crossed controls. Your gonna need that bin bag, it'll spin right into it

Just use the elevator to keep the nose up...
... Please!
Garbage bag over here.

Please make an attempt to utilize the local dialect when communicating with the natives.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:06 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,666 Posts
Sorry, my bad!

I'm off for a bag of chips
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
Garbage bag over here.

Please make an attempt to utilize the local dialect when communicating with the natives.
I'm pretty quick with picking up cultural traditions and dialects. I'm the product of a "mixed" marriage. Mother is 100% North American Redneck. Dad is from the White Trash tribe.

On the "cross-control" it's just a touch.. think of it more as aileron mixing differiential, except it's just a touch of rudder.
Last edited by AJay Newb; Oct 07, 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined May 2011
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Sorry, my bad!

I'm off for a bag of chips
Not crisps? I thought chips were fries.

Wife's from Cardiff. I have a live-in translator.