Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:05 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack View Post
What is "depron"?
Depron is a white foam sheet. It is/is like grocery store meat trays. Widely used in small, light RC planes. It comes in sheets of about 1 to 10 millimeters.

http://www.depronfoam.com/
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:13 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Thanks Gregg.

As far I as know a foam core hull is not legal on IOM's.
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:32 AM
Norfolk Uk
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
Thanks for all of your replies. It is a shame that foam is illigal as hulls could be made very quickly and cheaply. Looks like i will stick to balsa.I may try a RG65 with 3mm depron and 25gr fglass and see how it turns out. I have plans for Brad Gibsons SKA design that look good. Maybe i will try that with DICK L's (see vanquish Thread) mahogany veneer and f/glass.

thanks
Bryan
strikermk2 is offline Find More Posts by strikermk2
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:35 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Ted & Isis
Thanks for the tips, I need to send a photo of the bumper I made from some black foam packing material similar to flip-flop stuff.. and to save the gas and hassle calling/driving round the sail making shops here I ordered some of this

http://www.sailrite.com/Insignia-Adh...d-UV-Dacron-10
Thanks again..
JimS

Quote:
-A lot of guys make bumpers from flip-flops. Pick the color you like and cut and sand to shape. Boat builder usually make them to fit their own boats.

-For deck patches I use sticky back sail material, many colors available. ...
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:09 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Romano
I'd take this with a grain of salt cause I haven't been sailing even 6 months, but you asked for different opinions, here's one from a new novice..

With the stiff winds you have in Burmuda, a bigger course is a good thing, especially helpful for those less skilled but with a faster boat. I like a longer course in lots of wind cause I make mistakes, and a longer course gives a little more chance to make up for them.

But, i know a long course can drag out that pain if you're in the rear too.

We can walk alongside the bank to see the other boats more clearly as well as see the windward and downwind marks, so seeing the marks is not so much a problem for us. But it appears you guys can't do that, and likely sail from an armchair on a pier. Everyone's vision is different.. making it very hard to see and time that turn, or to avoid hitting others at distance..so you're kinda stuck..perhaps with a shorter course as the best solution if you can't walk the bank alongside.

I would mix it up and have some long and some short runs in the race to balance it..specially as the winds fall off.

I'd also try to stick to the AYMA rules which call for a penalty turn if you hit one.. cause if you start setting local rules that may open a Pandora's box too.. Rule one is to Have Fun so you guys should do what ever you decide, and your RD re-affirms before the start .. we mod the rules here a lot too, but take the penalty if you hit another boat or a mark.

I've spent hours reading them, playing on the finckh.net site recommended here, and I still get confused trying to remember the rules, and when they apply, in so many different scenarios it's daunting.. having a local set to learn too, might just make it harder in the long run.

Thanks again for the videos and for asking .. good questions.. JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano Ramirez View Post
A comment was made in reference to the length of our course. Some of of sailors have commented also that the course is too long and the difficulty in seeing the bouys correctly. How far out do you feel is a good distance for the furthest mark. Also do you think it should be ok to rub that mark and not be penilized? We are trying to work on these things and we have not yet been to an overseas club to compare. All opinions are important for us. ..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Feb 28, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:22 PM
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts

Maybe you can consider a shorter length course but increase the number of laps.... if you have the 1st boat finish in the region of 10-12 mins should work out alright....

just my 2 cents worth
colin470 is offline Find More Posts by colin470
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:30 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Quote:
What is "depron"?
see here:-
http://www.depron.co.uk/

Brian
Brian Wa is online now Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:35 PM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
I understand some folks have purchased the French 11mm thin wall mast. Anybody have one rigged yet. I have one and am looking for input on how much, if any pre-bend you used and where you located the side-stays.

About I know so far is that it is a bendy section. Bending is not easy either.

Thanks,

Ted
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:51 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Ted,
rebuilt my A rig on the Shadow with the 11mm French mast and the new fittings I am now selling and could only get 8mm in the top 700mm works great, sailed on Sat with an unturned rig and a 120 sec handicap by the end of the day I had won the last 2 races, so it is now turned, but not happy with a few small things.
Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:58 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
I am building an IOM. The hull is mostly done, but I have not started on the rig yet. Were can I assemble a mast and fitting package at a reasonable cost? For a class that was supposed to be inexpensive and favor the home builder it seems to be neither of those.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:40 PM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
128 Posts
This is what I like!

All these comments over the last 24 hours is great! We can walk along the shoreline here. Its the offshore mark that may be out too far. Thanks for the number on the bouy trick. Personally I'd prefer to follow international rules so that we do not drop our sailing standards.
Can anybody explain how a sailor gets to compete in the world championships? eg. In Kirby England.... Invited? Qualifys? per country?
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2011, 02:27 AM
Australia (Sydney)
Joined Apr 2010
36 Posts
Ted, why do you need to prebend your mast? I`m assuming you are building your new boat!! If your sails are not yet made I`d suggest that you advise your sail maker that you intend to run a straight/ non prebent mast, IE that he (sail maker) incorporates a luff curve into the build. This down the line makes things a little more simple...."my theory".

I`d be interested in knowing more on the mast weight & its ability of memory (or lack thereof)

Mike, this is also directed at you, as you already have the section.
iomthinkin is offline Find More Posts by iomthinkin
Last edited by iomthinkin; Mar 01, 2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 04:57 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the number on the bouy trick. Personally I'd prefer to follow international rules so that we do not drop our sailing standards.
:
Check out the "Event Management Manual - Radio Sailing and the IOM Class"
doccument. These are the international rules for running IOM events.

See section 5 for Mark identification.
http://www.iomclass.org/events/IOMIC..._2005may05.pdf

Brian
Old Mar 01, 2011, 05:08 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Quote:
Can anybody explain how a sailor gets to compete in the world championships? eg. In Kirby England.... Invited? Qualifys? per country?
Not sure of the official route, but first you need to have a "National Association" for IOM model yacht sailing, this needs to then be recognised by the "World Council" as the official body representing IOM model sailing in your country.
It's too late to gat an entry for this years World Championships, but 2013 isn't that far away.

Isreal is the latest country to gain international recognition, see here:-

http://www.iomclass.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1633

I would pose your questions in the above thread, addressed to Barry Fox.

Check out the IOMICA website:
http://www.iomclass.org/phpBB3/index.php

Hope this helps.

Brian
Old Mar 01, 2011, 06:02 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iomthinkin View Post
Ted, why do you need to prebend your mast? I`m assuming you are building your new boat!! If your sails are not yet made I`d suggest that you advise your sail maker that you intend to run a straight/ non prebent mast, IE that he (sail maker) incorporates a luff curve into the build. This down the line makes things a little more simple...."my theory".

I`d be interested in knowing more on the mast weight & its ability of memory (or lack thereof)

Mike, this is also directed at you, as you already have the section.
iomthinkin,
The main reason you run prebend is to make your jib stay tighter.

Gregg,

IOM's are only as expensive as you want them to be, you can make a gooneneck, mast crane, use wooden booms, buy cheap Aluminium masts from the hardware stores. For boom fittings use rubber grommets and string.
Come on fire them at me I will try to answer every one of them
(here I am trying to put myself out of business)
www.shiftradioyachts.com

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike