SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:24 AM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
We will have only 6, 9, 12, and 16 channel receivers in the future. Only the the 9, 12, and 16 channel receivers will have telemetry support immediately because they have a telemetry interface. The 6 channel Nano receivers could send back the RSSI (signal strength) but there is no voltage detection capability or a telemetry interface. I don't know that RSSI does much good without all of the other features.

Our current 8 and 10 channel receivers do have telemetry support.
How about the sailplane receivers.
Buran is offline Find More Posts by Buran
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:03 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,916 Posts
Yes, those are one of our 8 channel receivers.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2011, 06:24 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,916 Posts
OK, got the channels working correctly. I will spend some time testing this out a bit, and then release a BETA updater for the EVO. This updater will work with all versions of the EVO firmware, and support the M-Link emulation if you have v3.30 or later EVO firmware AND the hardness<>board mod (pictures shown in earlier posts).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:47 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,916 Posts
OK, new updater (v2.9beta) is online. You need to add the jumper wire (link below) to support v3.30 and v3.41 EVO firmware revisions.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=54
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:52 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
Wow, that was quick. Are you advocating soldering to the trace so as to leave the thru-hole for the connector available?
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:24 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,916 Posts
We will have a kit option available, but I don't have a problem with someone scrapping the trace. If you destroy the trace, it won't affect any part of the board.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:53 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,339 Posts
Great news. I have two Evos with 2.x firmware and never bothered to upgrad them because the later versions had nothing I needed. As soon as you release upgrade, I will place my order.

Chuck

Quote:
Well, I have figured out a way to emulate the 72MHz synth module so that it generates the PPM pulse to our module. The new code allows v1.x/2.x/3.3-3.41 EVO firmware to now work with our module.

I may spend some more time in the future to do the M-Link support so that we can get back at least our Rx battery voltage and RSSI (Multiplex calls this LQI) information in the EVO's display.

What is required to make this work is the removal of the jumper between pins 2 and 5 on the module connector. In fact, what works the best is to remove the pin 2 connector from the plastic housing and clip the wire at the connector. This leaves a wire connected just to pin 5 of the connector. That wire is attached to one pin on our module's telemetry interface bus. We will have a nicer solution as an upgrade harness (shown below with the yellow wire). Again, this setup works with any version of the EVO firmware, so it is safe to do this as long as you are updating the firmware on our module.

You will need a flashable CPU and our XDP or Telemetry Station to support this upgrade. There will also be an option for you to send in your board to get re-flashed here and returned along with the harness already attached and tested. This would be the only way to get the harness as it requires soldering a 1.25mm connector, which requires special tools.

There is no release date for the M-Link support, if it even occurs at all. That is some major work to take their data and convert it to our format on the fly, add telemetry, etc. This upgrade at least lets you use your EVO with the v3.3 and 3.41 firmware.

Please note that putting the board into binding/programming/XDP mode is a little different than before. You will see a brief flash of "orange" before the LED turns green (while holding the button). Once the button turns green you can release it to start the binding mode. If you keep holding the button until it turns red, releasing it would go into push button programming mode. Further holding the button until the LED changes to orange puts it in XDP mode.

I am working on the updater right now.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:42 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
Good deal. I will have funds in August for this. Thanks for the future customer support. Awesome.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:47 AM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
I would still like to see at least RSSI data from the Nano and/or some signal loss indication via the onboard LED.

Quote:
The 6 channel Nano receivers could send back the RSSI (signal strength) but there is no voltage detection capability or a telemetry interface. I don't know that RSSI does much good without all of the other features.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:58 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,916 Posts
Even if the Nano had full telemetry it could appear to go out of range - only because the Nano couldn't transmit with enough power for the transmitter to hear it. The Nano only has 1mw of transmit power - 1/100th the power of the transmitter controlling it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:19 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
Got it. Perhaps blink SOS with the LED if it lost signal since last powerup?

I'm amazed that that it can pick up 0.1W of xmit power at such ranges!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:58 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,916 Posts
I have seen over 1/2 mile with the Nano, so perhaps it might be worth it to add some sort of RSSI function. However, the reality is that it is s novelty. Once you have the ability to see it, you probably won't use it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:47 AM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Once you have the ability to see it, you probably won't use it.
I'm probably weird, but I do. Thanks for listening.
Last edited by GoFaster; Jul 18, 2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:41 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
Hey Jim. Ordered my module and 2 rx's to start with today. Will be ordering more rx's as funds allow.

Thanks for getting your system to work with the new multiplex firmware.

Vance.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:21 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,916 Posts
We are shipping yours with the new top mount antenna mod. This requires that you "snap" the u.fl connector on to our board. IT IS CRITICAL that you do a range test after assembling your transmitter. The antenna connector is only good for a few insertions before it must be replaced, so take your time and get this one step correct! If you have a range issue, DO NOT FLY - we will get you another antenna cable!
RCG Plus Member