HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2004, 07:19 PM
∞¤FoX¤∞
in the boonies, ont can
Joined Mar 2004
144 Posts
sim first??

hey guys, i was wondering if i should get a sim first or if i should get a HB then a sim. i wondering because im on a tight budget and if i get a sim i wont be flying a HB for 2-3 months. I have a Kyosho Nexus 30 that i want to learn to fly so do you think i should just skip right over the micro if i get a sim or get a micro, then move up to the nexus?? or sould i get a sim then HB then fly my nexus?? or that in a differnt order.

Im sry that i asked so many questions but it just i want other ppl's oppinoins so i dont end up wasting my money. If i do get the HB i will order the RTF kit with out the radio because i have one.

Thanx alot guys!!
banshee_dude is offline Find More Posts by banshee_dude
Last edited by banshee_dude; May 09, 2004 at 07:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2004, 07:33 PM
United States, CA, Stanton
Joined Jan 2004
2,012 Posts
I got my heli first then a sim, the sim was for my son but he lost interest in the helis after a while.
mdttb is offline Find More Posts by mdttb
Old May 09, 2004, 08:42 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
I put a lot of faith in the sim. I used it for about a week, and then flew my dragonfly.
After 1 day I could hover for over a minute, and after 1 week, I could hover indefinitely.

Now i'm learning left side in, which I also practiced on the sim. I can now transition from tail to left side in and back. I can maintain left side hover for a few minutes at a time. I only touched a heli for the first time 2 weeks ago.

None of this would be possible without the sim, so I think they are invaluable.

I found Pre-Flight to be a good inexpensive sim. Unlike sims like FMS, you can't hover hands off with pre-flight. You do need to manage the sticks constantly. I find it reasonably realistic (as realistic as a sim can be anyway). I know there are other better sims out there, but i haven't tried them so can't comment, they also cost a lot as well though.

You can get pre-flight for about $30US shipped I believe including trainer cable (works via your microphone jack of all things..not via USB or serial). So it's not a huge expense.

In my opinion, if you try fly without any kind of training at all, then you'll probably spend more in repairs in a week, than you would on a sim.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old May 09, 2004, 09:11 PM
∞¤FoX¤∞
in the boonies, ont can
Joined Mar 2004
144 Posts
ok thanx guys, i think ill will get the sim, but there will be alot of grass cutting to do before i get the HB...
banshee_dude is offline Find More Posts by banshee_dude
Old May 11, 2004, 12:18 AM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
I also found the sims usefull (Real flight and fms). I never did find a model that flew like my pic or hummingbird though (too stable in the sims). Several of the heli's flew more like a 60 size gas bird (although they reacted too quickly to CP/throttle). It was very useful for learning the control inputs required though (and fun to play with to boot).
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old May 11, 2004, 04:35 AM
France south east
Joined Apr 2004
78 Posts
Definitly get a sim!!!!!!
You will save a lot of money from crash parts
yplas is offline Find More Posts by yplas