SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2014, 05:00 AM
Joined Nov 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
Collective Pitch heli setup issues (beginner)

Hi all,
I bought my first collective pitch heli (Skyartec wasp nano cp brushless) with programmable radio (Skyartec nasa701) yesterday.
Previously I've used a very basic fixed pitch 4 channel.
I was drawn to it due to the 'ready to fly' label and 'suitable for beginners.'

I fired it up after checking it all over and it doesn't want to hover straight away which I was expecting, but I can't get it to hover properly using trim and the instruction manual is a direct translation from Chinese so doesn't really make sense.

Can someone help me by telling me what I can do to get it hovering straight? It veers over to the left and trys to go forward.

Please can people not tell me to get an easier heli. Once this is hovering straight, I'll be fine, just a bit overwhelmed with the settings.
Charlie1984rc is offline Find More Posts by Charlie1984rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2014, 07:54 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,462 Posts
It is my understanding that this heli has two modes.

In beginner mode the gyros are likely trying to keep the receiver board level which is not possible in hover because the hell will always be tilted to the right.

For this reason the heli will veer left and cannot be controlled by trim.

What mode is yours in?

It is my understanding that the mode can be changed by pushing and holding a button on top of the receiver board for 3 seconds.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:03 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,197 Posts
C/P's are very different from basic 4 ch. Correct mode will be most helpful.
Don't believe what add claims. Any newer flyer looking to fly c/p should take a look at forum before buying. This heli does have computer radio so thats a plus.
From what I read not very durable so take it easy. There is a thread about this bird and a good read will help.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:44 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Feb 2013
452 Posts
I have one of these. No they are not particularly newbie friendly as they are rather easy to break.

First up get the manual and check all the settings in the transmitter. Mine were all wrong.
The rebind the transmitter: turn the tx on then plug in the lipo for the heli. Press and hold the small switch on the receiver board - it will flash several times then bind to the TX.
If the led on the receiver board is red you are in advanced mode. Press and hold the button until it's green. Unplug the lipo and plug it back in. It should now bind to the transmitter and be in beginners mode.
It should be very stable. You'll learn how to fly but be aware of how breakable it is
Zaphod69 is offline Find More Posts by Zaphod69
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:54 PM
Joined Oct 2014
55 Posts
Read everything you can on flying CP helicopters. I am new to the as well and whilst I now have one ready to take to the air I have spent the last 6 weeks reading everything I can so I now what to expect and hopefully help me progress as I want.

I have read pretty much the whole rchelicopterfun.com website, his book on setting up and flying co helicopters, his book on swashplate setup, all of Radds flight school lessons, an old book I have on rc helicopters which is a little dated but has some good theory, loads of forums and am currently reading Capt. Jac's faq,s 101 and 102.

I also read a good deal of information about setting up FBL heads and specific information on my FBL controller.

On top of that I have spent a couple of hours setting my swash up properly, blade pitches etc and have watched numerous YouTube vids on a whole variety of relevant topics.

I am now reasonably comfortable I undestand how CP Heli's fly and what to expect and also that I can diagnose issues.

Oh, and I've been putting plenty of time on Heli X. I have been very tempted to go for it but think that putting in the groundwork will pay back big time over the coming weeks.

The crux of what I have learned is that CP heli's are hard to get to grips with...
dannybgoode is online now Find More Posts by dannybgoode
Old Nov 13, 2014, 01:07 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,462 Posts
The OP's issue was that it would veer left when trying to hover which couldn't be corrected by trim.

This is the same as the Walkera Genius CP when in 6 axis mode.

The reason is likely that in beginner mode when in hover the heli is tilted to the right, but the accelerometers are trying to keep the receiver board level which causes the heli to veer to the left and it can't be corrected by trim.

The solution in the Genius CP was to remount the receiver board by tilting it slightly to the left so that when in 6 Axis mode and hovering (tilted to the right), the receiver board itself was actually level.

In 3 axis mode or advanced mode the level sensing accelerometer function is not activated and the gyros are in heading hold mode which allows the trims to correct any drift.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Nov 13, 2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:07 AM
Joined Nov 2014
2 Posts
Thanks everyone

Thanks Martyn for all your info. Stupidly, I'd set the tx to the beginner mode but not the heli so it must've been getting pretty confused.
I managed to get it up and pretty stable a few times yesterday for a minute which felt brilliant.

I did however fly it in to my arm and the tail rotor flew off somewhere and I can't find it. It'll probably show up and it did come with a spare so I'm fine for now.

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get parts in the uk? I've found a few from China but if I'm breaking bits as often as I now think I will be, I'd like them to be delivered fairly quickly.
Charlie1984rc is offline Find More Posts by Charlie1984rc
Old Nov 19, 2014, 08:46 AM
Joined Dec 2009
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
The OP's issue was that it would veer left when trying to hover which couldn't be corrected by trim.

This is the same as the Walkera Genius CP when in 6 axis mode.

The reason is likely that in beginner mode when in hover the heli is tilted to the right, but the accelerometers are trying to keep the receiver board level which causes the heli to veer to the left and it can't be corrected by trim.

The solution in the Genius CP was to remount the receiver board by tilting it slightly to the left so that when in 6 Axis mode and hovering (tilted to the right), the receiver board itself was actually level.

In 3 axis mode or advanced mode the level sensing accelerometer function is not activated and the gyros are in heading hold mode which allows the trims to correct any drift.
The WNCPX dose not have a accelerometer. "Beginner mode" just changes the ratio of p/i gain and achievs a very slight dapening/ leveling effect, note VERY SLIGHT, its nothing like the genius cp, its more like the super cp. you can fly 3d in beginner mode, but you will be fighting the fbl a lot doing that.
IM back! is offline Find More Posts by IM back!