SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:29 PM
United States, IL, Elmhurst
Joined May 2013
294 Posts
Discussion
Vane or Show-Off I just want to please the crowd!

I am new to flying and 3D but last year when I walked to my local field for the first time and asked one of the pilots if there were any competitions he said well there is 3D.. So I went home and googled 3D RC Planes and my jaw hit the floor.. Immediately I knew that's the type of flying I wanted to do... So now that I can do a handful of maneuvers with my EF MXS 64" I am finding myself not flying when no one is watching.. I am a rookie pilot but I get applause all of the time after flying my 3D planes and I love it! I fly in a forest preserve field surrounded by picnic groves so we get a lot of people walking over and sitting on the elevated visitors benches to watch. And to think I can't do half the things normal 3D pilots can do. I mean I go as far as to not fly when other planes are in the air just so I can have the airspace to myself and all eyes are on my plane.. I guess it's my way of trying to push myself to be the best pilot I can be.. Don't get me wrong I do fly with others in the air and pretty much use that air time to practice precision flying but I always land and say to myself man that was a waste of a battery pack.. Yeah I know I am one sick 3D wanna be.. But in the end I really love this hobby.. Can I get an amen!!!
ChiTownFlyer is offline Find More Posts by ChiTownFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:36 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
Come to Florida and we'll burn a few packs.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:53 PM
Joined May 2013
294 Posts
Doc my plans are to retire in FL but somewhere in the Tampa Bay area as I love to race yachts and just sail period. But if ever I am in the Largo area like scuba diving Molasses Reef again I'll look you up..
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:02 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownFlyer View Post
Doc my plans are to retire in FL but somewhere in the Tampa Bay area as I love to race yachts and just sail period. But if ever I am in the Largo area like scuba diving Molasses Reef again I'll look you up..

SPARKS
is a 20 minute drive across the causeway from Tampa. That's where we shoot most of our videos any more.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:14 AM
wrecklessly misspeling stuff..
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Feb 2009
1,009 Posts
ChiTownFlyer, RC flying is very interesting to people, and will start a lot of conversations. With that said, sometimes I too just want to burn through some packs and concentrate on my flying. At those times I find a secluded field and fly.

Doc would be a lot of fun to fly with. I would take him up on his offer...
tuck is offline Find More Posts by tuck
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:49 AM
United States, IL, La Grange Park
Joined May 2012
194 Posts
ChiTownFlyer
I live close to Elmhurst and fly at the Checkerboard field (Miller's Meadow) accross from Loyola Hospital on First avenue. Just getting into 3D and precision flying myself. Maybe we can meet up some time.

Matt
ad skyraider is offline Find More Posts by ad skyraider
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:19 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
ChiTownFlyer,
Largo is next to Tampa vs. Key Largo which is one of the northeastern most keys. Haven't been there yet, but sure looks like Doc has a great place to fly. Not to mention being able to have a blast and learn a thing or two about 3d.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:06 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanch View Post
ChiTownFlyer,
Largo is next to Tampa vs. Key Largo which is one of the northeastern most keys. Haven't been there yet, but sure looks like Doc has a great place to fly.
Great club. Very 3D friendly.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:45 PM
Joined May 2013
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad skyraider View Post
ChiTownFlyer
I live close to Elmhurst and fly at the Checkerboard field (Miller's Meadow) accross from Loyola Hospital on First avenue. Just getting into 3D and precision flying myself. Maybe we can meet up some time.

Matt
Matt does Checkerboard field have a paved runway? Is it surrounded by trees? I mostly fly out of Ned Brown in Schamburg as most of the time there aren't that many pilots flying.. I may have to stop by your field and check it out..
Old Aug 12, 2014, 09:20 AM
Joined May 2012
194 Posts
Grass field but well maintained. There are trees in the distance but it is nice and open in the designated flying area. Weeknights are nice because there are usually just a few of us and you can do a more 3D.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:14 AM
Joined May 2013
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad skyraider View Post
ChiTownFlyer

Matt
Matt,

Just out of curiosity I drove out to Checkerboard and took a look around and sure enough I ran into a pilot that flies at my home field Ned Brown and asked me to fly my 55" GeeBee R3 Fantasy Racer on 5S so I obliged and I enjoyed flying at the field.. I like the North to South run.. I will be stopping by again I am sure..
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:30 PM
Joined May 2012
194 Posts
Glad you liked it. Stop by anytime.