SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:07 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkintx View Post
hey i had an idea but its not exactly a UFO. what if you did an H style quad with the back to the future car? does that count as a UFO?
Anything is possible!!
Flying Time Machine from the movie "Back to the Future" (2 min 11 sec)

Great work again Fahim

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:53 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,152 Posts
Oh wow that's awesome!!!
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:44 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,562 Posts
[QUOTE=awrightbrother;26151675]Wasn't there a radio program back in the 50s or 60s that caused a major panic in New York?

Halloween 1938, Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) Radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds". Many people thought that it was real causing panic in New York, New Jersey area.

Tony
TPfingston is offline Find More Posts by TPfingston
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:27 PM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,152 Posts
Flying RC Aircraft Carrier | E-Fest (1 min 37 sec)
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Oct 15, 2013, 09:28 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,529 Posts
Wowplanes UFO Update

I realize that I have not posted much lately, so here is an update.

I have had about 50 to 100 flights by now with UFO 2.0, and it is still in flying condition. Besides honing my piloting skills, I have been trying different ideas for a "New and Improved" UFO 3.0.

As time permits, I plan to start posting progress on 3.0 in the next few days and weeks.

1. I have ordered Carbon fiber props to see what difference that would make. It should provide more thrust, less vibration, and a more silent flight, I think.

2. I have also ordered electric retracts and have to come up with a landing pad or skid system.

3. Even though 2.0 is hollow inside for weight saving, it still presents a solid profile to the wind that slows it down when flying against the wind. I have some ideas on how to make it appear visually solid while being transparent to the wind.

4. The color scheme needs to be more exciting and visible from a distance.

5. I am trying some of these ideas on 2.0, and if they work, will incorporate them in 3.0, before I start cutting foam.

So hang in there, more to come.
Fahim
awrightbrother is offline Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Old Oct 30, 2013, 03:01 AM
Team Mulikow
Canada, ON, Frontenac County
Joined Feb 2007
1,047 Posts
Any updates?
mulikow is offline Find More Posts by mulikow
Old Oct 30, 2013, 07:56 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother View Post
I realize that I have not posted much lately, so here is an update.

I have had about 50 to 100 flights by now with UFO 2.0, and it is still in flying condition. Besides honing my piloting skills, I have been trying different ideas for a "New and Improved" UFO 3.0.

As time permits, I plan to start posting progress on 3.0 in the next few days and weeks.

1. I have ordered Carbon fiber props to see what difference that would make. It should provide more thrust, less vibration, and a more silent flight, I think.

2. I have also ordered electric retracts and have to come up with a landing pad or skid system.

3. Even though 2.0 is hollow inside for weight saving, it still presents a solid profile to the wind that slows it down when flying against the wind. I have some ideas on how to make it appear visually solid while being transparent to the wind.

4. The color scheme needs to be more exciting and visible from a distance.

5. I am trying some of these ideas on 2.0, and if they work, will incorporate them in 3.0, before I start cutting foam.

So hang in there, more to come.
Fahim
1. The carbon props do provide less vibration and a more silent flight. Did not notice much difference in thrust

2. The electric retracts are here but will not be using them until I build 3.0

3. I removed the dead foam between the ducts and replaced it with window/pool screen. That makes it visibly solid while allowing air to pass thru. Much improvement when flying against wind.
awrightbrother is offline Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Old Dec 20, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Aug 2013
62 Posts
You know, I was wondering what would happen if some neighbor calls the cops on our flying saucers.

It's not illegal fly saucer-shaped RCs, but would they find some excuse to keep you from flying, or possibly confiscate it?
goduranus is offline Find More Posts by goduranus
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:06 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Aug 1999
1,297 Posts
Well, being a retired Policeman, I can only relate to California law. First, let your neighbors know what you're doing and if they're interested in the flying saucer, show it to them and explain how there is no danger in flying them. You never know. you might find out that they're interested in becoming involved in the hobby. If you do some "up front" stuff, meaning that you're telling them ahead of time, you might get an indication if anyone is against your flying it in the neighborhood.
If you want to really play it safe, see if there is any Municipal Code against flying RC planes in non designated areas. Also, keep in mind, that if it's not a designated AMA approved location, which I'm sure it won't be, you won't be covered by AMA insurance if something gets damaged or someone gets injured.
Now, as far as the Police being called. There's always the "catch all" law called Disturbing the Peace. If a neighbor calls and complains that it's bothering them, the Police can use "Disturbing the Peace" to tell you to stop flying. Hopefully, you'll get a Cop who's cool and just warns you the first time he comes out, if it comes to that. It's just like anything else. Playing music too loud, cutting wood in the middle of the night, arguing with your spouse, etc..
That's why it's important to contact your neighbors first.
Confiscation? Maybe, if they had to come out on a second complaint. They could take the flying saucer as "evidence".
Gene is offline Find More Posts by Gene
Last edited by Gene; Dec 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: add information
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:23 AM
Murfreesboro
Joined Jun 2009
300 Posts
There are no 'designated AMA approved locations'. You're covered as long you abide by the Safety Code, pretty much regardless of where you fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
If you want to really play it safe, see if there is any Municipal Code against flying RC planes in non designated areas. Also, keep in mind, that if it's not a designated AMA approved location, which I'm sure it won't be, you won't be covered by AMA insurance if something gets damaged or someone gets injured..
fishfingers is offline Find More Posts by fishfingers
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Aug 1999
1,297 Posts
fishfingers, you're right. It says not to fly "At a location where model aircraft activities are prohibited". Section A,1,(b).
Where I live, they have signs at all of the nice green parks and public schools that prohibit radio control model activity of any kind. Drugs and gangs? Oh yah, but don't fly your model here!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:15 AM
Murfreesboro
Joined Jun 2009
300 Posts
Yeah, heaven forbid we expose anyone to an educational and pleasurable hobby activity.
fishfingers is offline Find More Posts by fishfingers
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Aug 1999
1,297 Posts
True.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:03 PM
United States, MI, Oxford Charter Township
Joined Dec 2012
439 Posts
One of the parks by me just designated one of the clear areas in the park for "other activity's" including R/C flying, all the sports fields have signs stating thy are to be used for their specific sports only. http://www.clarkstonnews.com/Article...blic-park.html

Mike
Mikeofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Mikeofthenorth
Last edited by Mikeofthenorth; Dec 22, 2013 at 01:13 PM.