SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:12 PM
Joined Jun 2010
293 Posts
Discussion
Sports cars- disapeared?

I'm in the market for a new ride. Tired of SUV's. So I tried to dig up some sports cars to look at. Hmmm, Very little out there.

Drove over to the Toyota Scion dealer. They have a new one, FS-1 I think. Very interesting, sort of a poor mans Porsche Cayman. That's a Boxer with a roof.

Now I see the problem, Little tiny sports cars and fat Americans don't work together. No way could I get in this thing. 6'2, 235 +. The Z cars have the same inside dimensions.. The head room is 1" higher. Big deal.

So I drive over to the Porsche dealer for a real car. Hmm, The new Cayman won't be out till May and costs $80,000. No dimensions on the car so who cares. That would buy a real airplane.

I had a Toyota Supra once. Really a nice car and lots of room, er I was skinny then. They dropped that car years ago . You should should see the $ they sell for now.

Maybe I should check out a Tarus. What the ^#^^ went wrong with this country?

Any suggestions?
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:57 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
226 Posts
I wouldn't call it something going wrong with the country. I've always been a fan for practicality. Maybe it's just the "getting-old" effect. Kinda like asking why no bands make music like the Beatles anymore and what is wrong with people's taste in music. Could it be that many were made by North American manufacturers and they have been in shambles for a while now?

Of course...it could just be that people are fatter =/ while cars and engines are now smaller for better mileage.
DKNguyen is offline Find More Posts by DKNguyen
Last edited by DKNguyen; Mar 06, 2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:05 PM View Post
Umang Kumar
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Jun 2010
293 Posts
Humph, from the number of responses no one here likes them much either. I crunched some interior numbers and the Z, new Toyota and Porsche have almost identical room. That means no room at the Inn for big guys.

So I guess I'll buy another SUV,yawn.

I watch the various car channels and still enjoy most of them. Nascar not so much. On one channel recently they had a run off between 'Stang, GM's wanna be Stang, and a Z car. It was a road course with about a long straight away. Cars were allowed to be modified anyway possible. My kind of race. The final was between the Mustang and a twin turbo Z I could hardly wait to see what happen .

The flag dropped and the Z shot by the Mustang so fast it wasn't even a race. I have never witnessed a more unequal race In my life. First corner and of course the Mustang had problems. End of my excitement for the year with cars. Life has moved on for most. I need to join up.
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:22 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Check Corvette..... you should fit with the room to spare.
I am 6'3" and 300lb and I fit very well to Z350 and to Porsche Carrera.
Jay Leno check the new sporty Toyota and said that tall drivers should have no problem.
Do not give up, do your homework !
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:57 PM
Joined Apr 2013
4 Posts
You should fit well in a Z06 or a Viper (I'm not sure what your budget is).
liningup is offline Find More Posts by liningup
Old May 11, 2013, 11:00 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,915 Posts
Just lately, there have been a few interesting Asian offerings in sporty cars, in case 50 grand is a little much do drop on a Corvette, or more than that for a Viper.

A few you can check out is the Subaru BRZ and the Hyundai Genesis.
Both cars have beautiful, sexy bodies, RWD in the case of the Genesis (and I don't know but Subarus are known for their 4WD so the BRZ might be that).
Both cars have powerful turbo 4 engines, which make almost 300 hp. And in a small car, that's quite a bit of grunt. I recently saw some lady getting on her Genesis, and she did a respectable rear wheel burnout getting out into traffic sideways. Right on!

I am not a big Dodge fan, but have you checked the new Dodge Dart? It too has a turbo motor. I just question Chrysler reliability, having owned a Dodge Shelby Charger in the past.
Another good one to check out is the Ford Fusion. Their 2 liter turbo motor is another powerhouse, and all the local cop cars are going with turbocharged Ford Fusions.
Chevy, I'm not sure about. They had the very hot Pontiac Solstice just a few years ago before the government shut down Pontiac, Saturn and Oldsmobile divisions. And you can still find them for sale. Here's one on Ebay right now that is going for about 22 grand with only 4300 miles on it. And it has the excellent turbo motor that GM makes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-300...item5af1210682

But lately, there are hardly any GM offerings that I consider sporty or attractive in the least. I think the government fired all the good designers when they took GM over. They do have the Corvette, but it's lost its sporty edge in my opinion, which hasn't been seen since they quit putting big blocks in them. But that's my opinion...

Why not get an older sports car?
There's about a gazillion of them out there.
Anything from Jaguar E-Types to Datsun 240Zs. And if the originial power plant isn't strong enough for you, transplant good ole American V8 muscle into them!

There are so many choices besides yet another SUV.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Jun 05, 2013, 01:40 AM
Crew Chief
Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2009
89 Posts
Complaining about room and sports cars!! I'm 6'1 and have no problems fitting in my Z , no problems driving an S2k , really no problems with any car that does not have a sunroof.
terrasmak is offline Find More Posts by terrasmak
Old Jun 05, 2013, 10:42 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
Complaining about room and sports cars!! I'm 6'1 and have no problems fitting in my Z , no problems driving an S2k , really no problems with any car that does not have a sunroof.
What specific year and model of Z?
Because I'm 6' and have always wanted a 240Z. Just was not sure if I'd fit in one.
Old Jun 05, 2013, 02:29 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
I like this one. And, if someone would buy it for me, I'd definitely lose weight if I needed, in order to fit into it!

Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Jun 06, 2013, 12:54 PM
Joined Nov 2008
132 Posts
Builderdude, wouldn´t you go for a good ol´muscle car? In US they are reasonably priced! And still a lot of fun!
brunobrazil is offline Find More Posts by brunobrazil
Last edited by brunobrazil; Jun 06, 2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: crappy typing!
Old Jun 07, 2013, 01:44 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobrazil View Post
Builderdude, wouldn´t you go for a good ol´muscle car? In US they are reasonably priced! And still a lot of fun!
LOL!
I own two.
I've got a '68 Firebird with a 455 Pontiac engine, and a '68 Corvette with a 427 engine.

My suggestion was for the benefit of others...
Old Jun 09, 2013, 11:46 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
There are some awesome deals out there RIGHT NOW on 2013 (new) 'Vettes. The newer 2014 'Vette is coming out soon and many, if not most, buyers are waiting. So now there are a lot more new 2013's sitting on dealers lots. I bought another 'Vette almost a year ago and I got a good deal on my new 2012, folks were already pulling back and waiting. With the hatch, there is a lot of space if you need it. My '07 C6, manual trans, got 31 MPG on the highway. My '12 with 6spd auto, gets 29MPG at 75, steady, highway. That is with 436 HP standing by.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 09, 2013, 12:03 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,915 Posts
I know. That is incredible. The new generation of engines they have for Corvettes is amazing. All that power and still such good fuel economy! The closest comparison I have to yours, Don, is my '68 Firebird, which has a 465 hp 455 in it. But it only gets about 13.6 mpg, and that's with 3.08 gearing. My Corvette is also a '68, but only gets 11 mpg out of the 427 big block.
Used to be, you had to deal with the bad fuel economy if you wanted big block power. But they are otherwise wonderful engines. With today's technology, you can have the old big block power levels and get economy car efficiency on the highway.

Simply amazing!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 03:46 PM
Joined Aug 2013
7 Posts
I am fortunate to drive a 2006 350Z, but I was initially concerned about the interior room since my frame would hardly be considered small, but was pleasantly surprised to find that I can sit comfortably. Stock seats and wheel, no modification. I have also been inside a 2012 corvette and mustangs for test drives, admittedly roomier than the 350Z.
KlausSchnider is offline Find More Posts by KlausSchnider