HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
Just a update as to where the project is at:

Installed the switch but for some reason it wouldn't kill the front motor. Even when I sent signal for it to cut signal to the front motor it kept running. I believe I got a faulty switch that is stuck in the on position. But besides that I wanted to test forward flight so I just unplugged the front motor and took off from the ground normally. Climbs out fine and all goes normal until the first turn and then you here the motors reving back and forth like crazy because the control board doesn't know whats going on. It then spins out of control and the only way to save it is it cut throttle and glide to the ground. So there is deff a control issue with not being able to shut down the kk board in forward flight. Any ideas on this? Also had the front edf grenade on me doing some more vtol testing so im thinking 4s is a little to much of a strain on the edf units as they were only rated for 3s. I have singe robbed the edfs of it and built a twin edf cargo plane that flies pretty well. But this project isn't abandoned just have to revisit the power system to find a better set up. In light of the control problem when in forward flight I'm thinking I may need to convert to a single or twin edf set up and go with bigger edf units to compensate. What do you guys think?
superchomper2003 is offline Find More Posts by superchomper2003
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Nov 2009
157 Posts
Crazy idea but rotate the kk board with the front motors?
rcjetflyer2 is offline Find More Posts by rcjetflyer2
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:38 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchomper2003 View Post
Just a update as to where the project is at:

Installed the switch but for some reason it wouldn't kill the front motor. Even when I sent signal for it to cut signal to the front motor it kept running. I believe I got a faulty switch that is stuck in the on position. But besides that I wanted to test forward flight so I just unplugged the front motor and took off from the ground normally. Climbs out fine and all goes normal until the first turn and then you here the motors reving back and forth like crazy because the control board doesn't know whats going on. It then spins out of control and the only way to save it is it cut throttle and glide to the ground. So there is deff a control issue with not being able to shut down the kk board in forward flight. Any ideas on this? Also had the front edf grenade on me doing some more vtol testing so im thinking 4s is a little to much of a strain on the edf units as they were only rated for 3s. I have singe robbed the edfs of it and built a twin edf cargo plane that flies pretty well. But this project isn't abandoned just have to revisit the power system to find a better set up. In light of the control problem when in forward flight I'm thinking I may need to convert to a single or twin edf set up and go with bigger edf units to compensate. What do you guys think?
I'm not sure about the KK board, but with a MultiWii control (and a bit of programming) you can handle all things; shut off/on gyros to motors or servos, or shut down motors or servos for different modes of flight, stretch and slow servos etc. Would you consider switching to the Wii fcb?
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Last edited by leadfeather; Oct 16, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Just one ideea!
How do you find ideea,like to use allways KK board,with one 70 or 90mm edf,or 2200 kv brushless with 6/4 propp.,but with single copter firmware or dual copter with 2 motor contrarotating!?
Optimus One is offline Find More Posts by Optimus One
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
leadfeather yes I would consider switching to the wii if the price isn't to bad. I will have to research as I know nothing about it other than see where some people were using them. The thing about the kk is I have just been loading programs that other people have built as I know nothing about building a program myself and it seems pretty complex so I don't really wanna get that deep.

And Optimus the single 70 or 90 mm edf is the idea I have been considering. I don't want to use the prop idea though as I want to stay with edf.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:20 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,730 Posts
Quote:
leadfeather yes I would consider switching to the wii if the price isn't to bad. I will have to research as I know nothing about it other than see where some people were using them. The thing about the kk is I have just been loading programs that other people have built as I know nothing about building a program myself and it seems pretty complex so I don't really wanna get that deep.

And Optimus the single 70 or 90 mm edf is the idea I have been considering. I don't want to use the prop idea though as I want to stay with edf.
Hobby King has the boards with the usb adapter pretty cheap. I think with a version of the code used in one of my previous VTOL's, there won't be too much work to getting it correct for your jet. I'll help as much as I can if you decide to go Wii.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_w_FTDI.html
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
Thanks Leadfeather! I may just have to pick one up and get a little help from you. I will have to replace all the edfs anways because these just dont seem to be up to par. What would you suggest? Try to work with a single or duel edf set up up or go back to 3 with the Wii?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:12 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Oct 2011
78 Posts
Here is another version of RC Powers F35 V2 VTOL:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post24014211

F35 VTOL Hovering (0 min 58 sec)
knight2hug is offline Find More Posts by knight2hug
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
Thanks for the vid knight2hug! I think I have decided to go with a single or possibly duel edf setup something like in the vid. The 3 55mm edf that I was working with just wont hold up. The motors work fine but the legs the hold the motors inside the edf will just break mid flight and then it falls out of the sky. Anyone have any edf suggestions for me to use on this project? Leadfeather I think I will pick up a wii board soon and might need a little help from you getting it right for what I will need it to do here depending if I decide to go duel edf or single.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:29 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Hi superchomper2003,
did you seen this dual bicopter with wii se lite!?
Maibe one ideea!?
Bicopter-experiment. Impeller option. (1 min 24 sec)

nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:18 PM
Geeks 'R' Us
United States, MO, Smithville
Joined Jan 2013
111 Posts
Quote:
It has to be raised a good little bit above the pavement to lift off. Higher than I was planning on making the landing gear. I have made some little foam legs to lift it up a bit untill i get the landing gear developed but looks like I may have to go a little higher.

Bernoulli effect. On grass you create turbulence as air spreads out beneath the wing. On pavement airflow is laminar, and the wing is sucked downward.

Either create some baffles under the wing or (as has been said) raise the wing off the ground.
HeartSailor is offline Find More Posts by HeartSailor