HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:26 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Can someone who has one of these measure the solid spar with a caliper?

My digital caliper says it is 13mm,
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:33 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
My digital caliper says it is 13mm,
Thanks for the info.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Can someone who has one of these measure the solid spar with a caliper?
13mm
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I have all aileron control rods all in the outer holes of both servo and control horns. About a 1 to 1 ratio. The aileron throw is a little over 1" and the servos are already chattering at the limits. Increasing the mechanical advantage by moving the rod in on the control horn is just going to make the servos complain more. They just dont have much torque. Solution: stronger servos and/or rehinge the ailerons.

And this is how it begins......

The never ending " upgrading" of components. Been there. Done that. Many times. No fun for me anymore.
I got this plane coming, i got it for what it is,a BIG Glider to carry video cam. So i would really like to know if it works for what it is built for or not. Not interested in trying to turn it into a 3d plane,already have a couple of those
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
After my buddy bought one of these and i seen how well built it was and the width of the wings, i couldn't stand it !! I ordered one tonight,never bought anything from Banana before so hope i have a descent experience. I see there are ZERO extra parts available and after telling buddy about that, he ordered another one just in case I got the ARF as i have TX and RX for it. Think it will fly well enough with a 2200 3s battery or do i need to get a 3s 3600 on the way ?
I flew mine last night with a 4s 4500 and got 12 mins of throttle time, that's combined with about 30 mins of float time (just powering the servos). Point is, a 2200 is not going to cut it, not to mention that it takes a big battery to get CG in this plane. Perhaps you could combine 2 3s 2200's in parallel and get there.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
I just gave you one - and it only costs $26.
So if we need more weight in nose would this extra Sbach motor i have work ?
bm3720a-kv650 http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...6m-p-1349.html
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:06 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
that depends, would it ever be delivered? ba dump dump
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:09 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
846 Posts
When I buy my SSS, I'm going to put a much larger motor on it, maybe even set it up with a pull motor and keep the pusher on it as well, and then reinforce the fuse a great deal and the wing loading weight and then strap my wife onto it and go full throttle, up up and awaaaaaaaayyy!
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Ya the good old days.
I'm still ing
LOL im not young ! I feel young just need a new body to put my brain in ! at 62yrs I dont have time or the want to to try to turn a glider into a sport 3d plane, jeez if you want a 3d then buy one My only concern from reading so far is the COG ? I have raed that some folks think the manual COG is wrong ? I ordered a 3600 3 s battery and now im reading it needs a 5000 3s for COG. Anyone that bought this plane to use it for what it is built for tell me if the 3600mah gets COG ?
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
I didn't say it's bad. Just mediocre. I just get frustrated to see a product that could have been great, but for a few design flaws, falls short.

Upgrade the power system with the inexpensive mod I suggested, or something similar, and you'll be fine with it.
You are just bumming me out man ! You don't like the TUB (Glider) that's made to float around not do loops and scream around at 100mph. OK fine sell it and get a screamer.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
562 Posts
I upgraded the ESC and moved it outside the canopy for more cooling. This is a Turnigy Plush 60, which is probably overkill, but it's what I had on hand. A 40 would probably be fine but I haven't put it on the watt meter yet. The OEM ESC was getting REALLY hot inside the canopy, so hot that it felt like the shrink wrap was melting off of it.

I also wanted to point out how easy it is to take the motor out on this plane, vs the Bixler & others.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic View Post
Here is my FPV flight from today. I'm a total newb at FPV, my 5th fpv flight and flight on this plane. Nothing too exciting, just moazying around the park to stay within my current 500meter limit. There was a nasty wind during the whole flight coming out of the north-west (towards the sun).

I added a stack of 7 quarters to the nose as you can see in the video to play around with the CG. I think i found the good spot. I'll be moving the camera further down the nose and removing the quarters.

http://youtu.be/kOvTC8QY1Kg
Well now see this is what this plane was built for !! And as far as the landing i think you did a fine job ! Sweetness ! Now what battery you using ?
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
I dont fly "mostly at full throttle" at all. The last flight was for 24 minutes with about 30% remaining in a 3600mah battery. I purposely tried to spend as much time gliding as possible. I did, however, use full throttle for climbs to high altitudes and then spent as much time gliding as possible. And, for some reason, the esc seemed even hotter than before. Maybe it, or the motor, is defective. But I kind of doubt that.
Don't doubt it i had Two brand new Dynam 30 amp esc,s burn out on my new sonic 185 glider, first one was the stock,second was a free replacement from nitro planes, flew it for like 5 minutes and that esc fried, i have a 45 amp esc in it now and works great.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Just got in from flying this tub again. .... But it should have been designed correctly to start with. The ESC came down too hot to touch. Be careful!

A completely mediocre product that could have been great with a slight change to its proportions and a better power system. But, hey, I got a lot of foam and it didn't cost much!
It sounds like you are trying to make a hotliner out it. It may be mediocre in that role but that is not what it is designed for.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
A simple fix for loose wings is to immerse the wing root ends in hot water for a few minutes. It expands the foam and you are good to go, They fit just like new.

You will need a big pot and a thermometer. Bring the water to a boil and let it cool to just a tad below 185F. This is a safe temperature - any higher will cause bubbling.

Pleas note: although I've done this several times with different airplanes and have had great results, all my planes are Multiplex Elapor or EPO. I don't know how this will work with other foams.

Cliff
I just use Velcro,put some on fuselage and some on wings,then strap over the top from wing to wing.