SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:18 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,713 Posts
Oh OH the GEEKS they Gotta have FA UN ! :-)
yeah
the GEEKS they Gotta have FUN
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:22 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
What kind of charges can one expect form Shapeways ?

The Stereo lithography machines used to be SERIOUSLY expensive, Like $250K+
I have a sample Chess Rook around her someplace.
The guy to ask is the one I gave you a link to a while back. He had Shapeways print his design at about fifty inch span. He's very sharp on the software end of thing. Probably works with the software (dunno what he uses but I'm sure it's mentioned in the thread ) professionally.

I think Shapeways charges by weight of materials or time but this guy is probably worth PM'ing

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:46 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Sep 2004
999 Posts
Gleb RIP

To me Gleb was the artisitc foil to Moffat's technician and the unsung hero of the movie. After seeing the film for the first time in 2010, I always wondered what had happened to this famous fashion photographer. How cool are those scenes in Sunship Game with Gleb surrounded by the top models of the day, smoking a butt, snapping pics, and headed off from NYC to the races up in Sugarbush and out west?

I sadly learned that he and his wife died in a nasty car accident out Durango in 2011.

Gleb was a WWII vet, factory-sponsored Ferrari racer, sailplane pilot, world renowned fashion photographer, musician, who dabbled in sailplane racing well enough to give Moffat fits. Not a bad life!

http://www.durangoherald.com/article...late=mobileart

/Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Watched it and Zulu Romeo, Good Start. I liked them both. I also liked what Gleb Derujinski felt about soaring, that it was a beautiful sport and competition spoiled it. He may not have said it in those exact words but I understand the feeling.

On the other hand if you are out in a sailboat late at night cruising along, minding your own business and you happen to be on a course that more or less parallels another boat you will always trim your sails a bit to see if you can outsail him and while you're doing it you will almost always hear a winch clicking on the other boat. Competition is just human nature.

If you read some of the flying stuff in my blog you'll see that I am not immune. I'm thinking about the time I glided back from Mount Cathalia with someone in a superior plane but arriving with more altitude than they did by flying more carefully, then wondering if he was the better pilot because he made it in a straight glide.

Staying up when nobody else does, or launching early and catching the first thermal of the day. Every flight has its competitive aspect.

Pete
sekollera is offline Find More Posts by sekollera
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Funny thing is I never talked to Gleb Derujinski. I was in awe of all the gorgeous women he showed up with. He let a lot of people fly his Sisu so he was probably friendly.

I found Moffat easy to talk to and learned a lot from him. He was a hard core International 14 sailboat racer and I owned both a Windmill (that I built myself) and a Thistle (which was a sort of 17 foot long boat based on the international 14) so boats were a subject of conversation.

I'll always be sorry I never tried talking to Derujinski but he seemed way less accessible (to me at least) than Moffat, who often spent hours touching up the wings on the HP-8 and was probably happy for the company.

Pete
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:36 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekollera View Post
What a life. Thanks for posting that.

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:01 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
The term polymath is usually applied to thinkers. Intellectuals with a broad range of interests and knowledge.

Derujinski seemed to be good at everything he tried and what he tried was not limited to intellectual pursuits but actually doing things. There ought to be a word for that type of talent, not that the intellect isn't involved in photography or sailplane flying but that sort of direct involvement is not the same as understanding stuff in your mind and not experiencing it.

I didn't comment on the link because I read it months ago. And yes, I now look back at a lot if missed opportunities at Wurtsboro. Doc Bundy flew there with his band of teenaged glider pilots. I never approached him either though I read his article in The Scientific American about making artificial diamonds. He held the patent on the process tha GE uses.

Yup, I wish I could go back and say hello. Walt Moran flew there. He did sailplane aerobatics at Idylwild Sp? when it opened. He test flew a lot of airliners for American and later became the president of Amarican Airlines. Wurtsboro was a hell of a place. Very quiet these days.

Pete