HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:21 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jul 2004
1,574 Posts
Discussion
What an incredible day!!!

On a whim I decided to skip homework and fly my Lighthawk. Its a LHIII fuse with an original LH wing.

I live in Tehachapi, which is better suited to sloping then DLG normally. It was little breezy so I ballasted up and began to launch. As I got used to the conditions I went to lighter ballast, and the the thermals came. I had many great flights, with three excellent ones.

One in particular was the one everyone dreams of. I was already well into a thermal and spotted two turkey vultures circling slowly. I made way way over to them and went up and up, and circled with them for so long I could barely see the glider. I finally flew out and back as I was worried I would never recover I was so far away and still going up.

I have had many great days, but never have I had a thermal like that. It made my day!

Just had to share that.

Jim
Tehachapi Jim is online now Find More Posts by Tehachapi Jim
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:28 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,240 Posts
that's awesome! gotta love a good day like that.
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,535 Posts
I haven't been to Tehachapi in many a long day. I'll have to bring my airplane along, next time I'm out West.

Besides your self, is there still full-scale soaring there?

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:18 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
Thermals are great aren't they? Thanks for sharing. I saw an eagle thermaling in overcast conditions at about 9 in the morning today. I wouldn't have thought there would be any thermal activity. Watching birds thermal is fun to do when you haven't your glider with you. This eagle actually seemed to circle out too far once and change it's direction of circling to get back into the lift. I guess eagles aren't infallible thermalers. Maybe he was getting tired of flying counterclockwise. In general they seem to thermal very efficiently and I think I've learned a little more how to thermal efficiently by watching them. I once had a hawk poach my thermal and rise up and up while I fizzled out. It was kind of embarrassing. I could just hear the hawk snickering up there.

Keep enjoying those thermals. I hope I never get bored of thermaling.

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:25 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
359 Posts
Switching turn directions in a thermal can be the best way to recenter in the core. Just watch red tails they do it often! Try it yourself you will be amazed.
Dave
DBSkyout is offline Find More Posts by DBSkyout
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:39 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
yea a good brick lifter will made for a fun day... I remember a day when me and two friends had slope zagis and we got into a thermal... Specked them all out and then had to fight to get them down... was a blast!
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:11 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jul 2004
1,574 Posts
Greg, yes, Skylark North is still open! Jane and Larry still own it. That is where I met my wife. I was working towards my solo in a 2-33, and my wife Jamie worked there. The rest is history. Never did solo. We got married and I couldn't afford the lessons anymore

We live in Stallion Springs in Cummings Valleyjust west of Tehachapi, and thats where I fly. We have a nice place to slope about 3 miles away, Convict Hill. I am equidistint between Weldon and Parker Mountain as well, and Grass Mtn. is about 45 minutes away.

An Austintatious, I know what you mean. I was flying a Mefisto several years ago near Rosamond in the desert and got into a thermal so big and strong I had full ELE pushed and still climbed. I finally inverted the glider and dove out.

And Joseph, birds are awesome to watch, especially the birds of prey. Much can be learned from watching them. I have been in a full size glider circling with them, its a blast.

Thnaks for all the comments, it was just one of those rare days.

Jim
Tehachapi Jim is online now Find More Posts by Tehachapi Jim