HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:56 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dathird313 View Post
I have two strykers now for FPV, a light stryker and a medium weight one. Have you already flown the stryker with the shaved nose?
I flew it just yesterday. It flies pretty well so far. The camera is pointing nearly straight out the front. I thought of pulling the nose off, altogether, but I like it being there to protect the camera a bit. The downward slope should work well for another camera to record the flights; I like a slight down angle for that.

I'm running two batteries cuz this was a bit of an ad hoc arrangement. I'm not getting very long flight times on my 850s and I really didn't want to loose video. I'm thinking of moving up to heavier 1300's and powering the Tx/Camera off the flight battery, but that won't save me much weight, if any.

I may have to follow KillerCut's example and cut me some holes in the foam. What tool are you using for that, Killer?
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:20 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
with an 850mah 3s I get 7 minutes easy. with 1300mah I get about 10-14minutes. with 350mah I can get 5-7minutes. The lighter you make it the less power it uses to stay up...

I just used one of those 2 inch round drill adapter thingys that are used to make holes in wood, but I ran it counterclockwise instead...

The stryker does not fly normal without a nose, or even with a heavily modified nose...
Why not use a servo to make the camera higher, and you will have pan which is very very useful.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5107722
I use a 2.8mm lens, I can either center the horizon (and not see the nose at all), but I usually like the camera pointing slightly down, and so I can just barely see the nose.... works the best, especially for panning...
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Last edited by KillerCut; Sep 28, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:43 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
looks like it will come out to 250grams without battery... so with a 350mah 3s i'd be at 300grams, without fpv gear, ughh. only saved about 50grams...
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Jul 2006
76 Posts
I've gotten 15 min before on my fpv stryker with an 850 mah Hyperion 3 cell. (Throttle management and gliding)

What do you mean it does not fly normal? You do have to readjust the weight to adjust for the lack of weight in the front without the nose, but other than that it flies just like it did with a nose. I'm sure drag is a bit higher, but with the stryker being as light as it is, I can't really tell. Also adding a pan servo just adds more weight and complication, and I try to go for simple with my stryker builds.

Also, the area right behind the nose, seems like a firewall, provides a nice cushioned area for the camera to go. I'll post a picture one of these days.

I do like the swiss cheese stryker, can't wait to see a flight vid of that
dathird313 is offline Find More Posts by dathird313
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:22 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
457 Posts
Motor Angle

I have just icked up a C airframe and am going to instal a stick mounted BW motor.

Can anyone advise as to setting the right angle.

Many thanks
geedee is offline Find More Posts by geedee
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:21 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geedee View Post
I have just icked up a C airframe and am going to instal a stick mounted BW motor.

Can anyone advise as to setting the right angle.

Many thanks
Just center it between the fins and try to keep the same angle that the stick will normally lay on the motor mount area. you want the stick at an angle a little because of the airfoil and also so when you cut throttle it doesnt nose dive all the time...
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:51 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
But you didn't say what angle.
I'm assuming up at the back, down on the nose end?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:49 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
Here is the latest of the evolution of my light (3d) Strykers.

In the past, I used $55 MicroDan motors, $40 Electrifly escs, $20+ Hitec servos, and various $15-30 batteries
I decided to go a different route and try a $20 Suppo motor, $13 Hobbywing esc, $8 Solar digital servos, $10 HK batteries, and dollar store duct tape.

The result? A better performing plane and money saved. The servos seem more precise and just as strong, the esc smooth and easy to program, and the MOTOR actually meets or exceeds the Microdan!

Here is the goods:

Suppo 2208-12 (1800kv, 34g.)
HW 18a esc high timing
Solar D220 digital 9g http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d220.html
Nanotech 850- 950 mah 3s (USA warehouse!)
APC 8x4"
11,500+ rpm @ 22 amps static
30+ oz thrust!
13.45 oz auw with 69g battery.
Spars removed (save 18g)
Lighter spars and extra carbon added with decorative duct tape, adding less than the heavy spars.
3" wide 6mm depron elevons with med pin hinges (smooth with no resistance at 55 degree deflection)
6mm depron fins
1/32" ply firewall
low temp hot glue everywhere execpt med c/a on the glass.

This configuration can fly high-alpha very slowly, backwards in 10-15mph winds, or rocket away with crazy power and 3d moves.
Out of the dozens and dozens of planes owned over 30 years, this has the biggest bang-for-the-buck factor and can be flown nearly anywhere..even indoors at Mike's Hobby!
Do those servos fit snug in the servo bay?

Thanks

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:26 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
457 Posts
BW motor angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Thats what I need , the angle !!!!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:00 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,704 Posts
Do not put any thrust angle on the motor. Mount it so that the stick mount is perfectly parallel to the centerline of the wing. To do that, the stick will be embedded a little deeper in the foam toward the front of the stick than the back, due to the tapering of the wing. See the photo I posted at post #129 in this thread.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:52 PM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
457 Posts
Motor Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
Do not put any thrust angle on the motor. Mount it so that the stick mount is perfectly parallel to the centerline of the wing. To do that, the stick will be embedded a little deeper in the foam toward the front of the stick than the back, due to the tapering of the wing. See the photo I posted at post #129 in this thread.
Just what I needed, the picture tells it all.

Presently flying a homemade superfly (sort of) and it was a lot easier with a flat platform to mount the stick.

Thanks
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:51 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Built a light Stryker for a friend, he loved it

2208/14 outrunner
8x5E
3S 1300mAh lipo

Pretty good vertical

Thinking about building another one but with a 2217/06 outrunner

Should have even better vertical

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:23 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
The thrust line angle should not be flat. it should be the same as the original unmodified profile of the engine mount area. Just lay the stick mount where it would normally go and that is the exact angle it should be. Use hot glue or epoxy to effix the stick mount to the area. I built over 10 of these light strykers, the best thrust angle is what I just mentioned...

Also I have well over 200 flights LOS and over 100 flights FPV on the airframe...

If you have the stick mount in line with the centerline of the wing airfoil you will not enjoy flying it as much as if you did it the way I told you to. Unless you fly constant throttle the whole flight always and like trimming it all the time...
Last edited by KillerCut; Oct 07, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:11 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
457 Posts
Thrust angle

"If you have the stick mount in line with the centerline of the wing airfoil you will not enjoy flying it as much as if you did it the way I told you to. Unless you fly constant throttle the whole flight always and like trimming it all the time..."

Any pics Killer ?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:52 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Interesting...
That's two very different setups.
Embedded(see pic) vs. laying on top of the foam.
Would like to hear 3 or 4 more opinions on this.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs