SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2010, 06:46 AM
Girona, Spain
Joined Dec 2007
49 Posts
Hey guys
I have decided to convert my tricopter in a quad. As my English is very poor I could not read the whole thread, so I wonder if I can use normal propellers (no reverse rotation), we should change anything?

thanks
QS-27 is offline Find More Posts by QS-27
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 07:16 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QS-27 View Post
Hey guys
I have decided to convert my tricopter in a quad. As my English is very poor I could not read the whole thread, so I wonder if I can use normal propellers (no reverse rotation), we should change anything?

thanks
Hi

Yes, you should tilt the front and back motors around 5 to 10 degrees to the right looking from the end of the arm. The amount of tilt will depend on the motors and size of prop used

Frank
frank48 is offline Find More Posts by frank48
Old Sep 05, 2010, 07:20 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QS-27 View Post
Hey guys

thanks
Yes, you will have to slightly tilt two motors if you are using CCW only. This is to compensate for the torque exerted on the frame by the spinning motors (in a CW/CCW setup the torques of the two pairs cancel each other out).
You will have to find the correct tilt angle by try and error.

I posted some pictures of my old setup a while back and kapteinkuk also gave some hints as to which direction to tilt and whether to increase/decrease tilt if the quad yaws.
You should be able to find it with the thread search function ...
OpticalFlow is offline Find More Posts by OpticalFlow
Old Sep 05, 2010, 08:33 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
Some who use only CCW props do it this way too: When using only CCW props on a quad: looking down on the quad with the front facing away from you: the front motor would be tilted to the left, the rear motor would be tilted to the right, the left motor would be tilted forward and the right motor would be tilted to the rear. Experiment with the amount of tilt for desired results, but usually less about 5 degrees each is plenty.
Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:21 AM
Girona, Spain
Joined Dec 2007
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank48 View Post
Hi

Yes, you should tilt the front and back motors around 5 to 10 degrees to the right looking from the end of the arm. The amount of tilt will depend on the motors and size of prop used

Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticalFlow View Post
Yes, you will have to slightly tilt two motors if you are using CCW only. This is to compensate for the torque exerted on the frame by the spinning motors (in a CW/CCW setup the torques of the two pairs cancel each other out).
You will have to find the correct tilt angle by try and error.

I posted some pictures of my old setup a while back and kapteinkuk also gave some hints as to which direction to tilt and whether to increase/decrease tilt if the quad yaws.
You should be able to find it with the thread search function ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Some who use only CCW props do it this way too: When using only CCW props on a quad: looking down on the quad with the front facing away from you: the front motor would be tilted to the left, the rear motor would be tilted to the right, the left motor would be tilted forward and the right motor would be tilted to the rear. Experiment with the amount of tilt for desired results, but usually less about 5 degrees each is plenty.
Cheers,
Jim
Thank you very much for the responses, I will seek the proper angles for my quad.
QS-27 is offline Find More Posts by QS-27
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:30 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthox View Post
thanks i cant fly heli...
Then maybe you fly it this way
Aggressive Maneuvers for Autonomous Quadrotor Flight (1 min 27 sec)
dt8666 is offline Find More Posts by dt8666
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:16 PM
Joined Mar 2010
59 Posts
Hey,

I have a simple question.What voltage gives the LM317LZ?

Thanks Lowie
lowie is offline Find More Posts by lowie
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:43 PM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
For those of you who enjoy making your own PCBs, Igor Souza from Brazil has kindly shared his re-layout of KapteinKUK's v6 board on a single side, which makes it easier for people to "roll their own" at home. The files are in Eagle format and are freely downloadable from the site.

http://www.kkmulticopter.com/index.p...iy-manufacture
Niall is offline Find More Posts by Niall
Last edited by Niall; Sep 08, 2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:34 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post
I'm having problem with one of my HobbyKing SS ESC. It was fine on several test runs but then it stopped working properly. Motor turns with jackhammer vibration. I tried to tighten the connection and even desolder power cable and replaced with new one. It still doesn't work.
If I have to replace one bad ESC, do I need to get the same type? I am thinking of getting a different ESC but if I hate to waste the other three HK SS.

You might want to try replacing your bullet connectors too...I had this problem with multiple HK bullet connectors. The male side of the connector is 2 pieces and sometimes there is no continuity. I have two on my bench with this problem...unbelievable I know...I thought it was a bad motor but it was the connectors...just one more thing to try. Use a continuity meter to test.
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:45 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall View Post
For those of you who enjoy making your own PCBs, Igor Suarez from Brazil has kindly shared his re-layout of KapteinKUK's v6 board on a single side, which makes it easier for people to "roll their own" at home. The files are in Eagle format and are freely downloadable from the site.

very nice
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:56 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
very nice
Awesome!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:49 PM
Joined Jul 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
You might want to try replacing your bullet connectors too...I had this problem with multiple HK bullet connectors. The male side of the connector is 2 pieces and sometimes there is no continuity. I have two on my bench with this problem...unbelievable I know...I thought it was a bad motor but it was the connectors...just one more thing to try. Use a continuity meter to test.
I used continuity and they're OK but just to make sure I replaced the cable and they too tested OK. However when I measure output on the motorside between +/- cable the readout is really different 0.00 - 0.05V & 0.16 - 3.36A while three others are ranging in 0.7 - 1.5V & 2.12 - 3.40A. It also gets warm pretty quick.

I removed the heatshrink, everything looks normal to my eye, nothing burned although on lower part seems like solder bridge. Is it normal?

skye is offline Find More Posts by skye
Last edited by skye; Sep 05, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:51 PM
Ruimsig, Mogale City (West of Johannesburg)
Joined Apr 2010
3 Posts
Some questions related to software

Hi All

I have read through the reams and reams of most interesting information presented in this thread. It's really quite mind boggling, and also so amazing just how people are prepared to share their knowledge and experiences!!

I've just come across the KKopter and am very keen to build one. More than this though, I would love to explore some additional technology approaches and build them into the project. I've not yet had to work with the ATMEGAxxx range of micros - coming from a mainly PIC / Pascal environment. As can be imagined, having to plough through ATmega Assembler can be quite hairy to say the least. What I would like to know is whether any software design and or algorithm material exists that I could use to develop a controller?

If so, please let me know where I can find this.

Once again thanks for a great forum!!!!

Cheers
John
johnht is offline Find More Posts by johnht
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:04 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall View Post
For those of you who enjoy making your own PCBs, Igor Suarez from Brazil has kindly shared his re-layout of KapteinKUK's v6 board on a single side, which makes it easier for people to "roll their own" at home. The files are in Eagle format and are freely downloadable from the site.

Looks good...but the top and bottom layers need to be (mirrored) swapped in eagle. If I made it on my pcb router all the traces on the top would be impossible to solder as the pads would be under the components. I just need to figure out how to switch the top layer to the bottom and the bottom layer to the top in eagle.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:23 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
Looks good...but the top and bottom layers need to be (mirrored) swapped in eagle. If I made it on my pcb router all the traces on the top would be impossible to solder as the pads would be under the components. I just need to figure out how to switch the top layer to the bottom and the bottom layer to the top in eagle.
Answering my own question here... just use the ULP command cmd-change-swap-layer.ulp be sure to check the switch A<>B checkbox.