Old Apr 04, 2007, 03:42 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
Build Log
Enlarged Midkiff Se5a build

Heh everybody,
Never did my own thread before so I thought I'd give it a wack! I've decided I needed another plane, like everyone else does, and I thought I'd enlarge one of Mike Midkiff's plans. I've done boat load of freeflight rubber models, indoors and out, controline and r/c electric, and I always thought that most models, even some of todays electrics are over built. What I'm going to try to do is build this like a freeflight model, which is built a lot like the full size planes of early aviation. There's some other boys on the west coast of Canada that are making HUGE electric models, and using 3/16 sq. bass as material. What they end up with is nice light models that fly verrrrrrrrrrry realisticly, and contrary to what people weaned no glow models think, do not fall apart if they bump the ground. Just watch a light indoor freeflight model whack the wall and you'll be amazed to discover that the majority of times there is little, if ANY damage. Less weight means less impact force. Besides, I build to fly, not to crash. The model will have a 40" wingspan, which means I can build a 2 seat observation plane to go with it and still have a manageable 54" wingspan, and still use a relatively low power brushless outrunner like the Eflite 400 and 450. The longerons will be 1/8sq. bass, with the forward uprights and cross members bass as well. After that the rest is balsa. No major areas of sheeting, just the wing mount area will be bass sheet. Up front will have gussets as in full size practice. As soon as I figure how to post pics and can put some up of the little progress I've made so far. Also the wings will have "I" beam construction, with strip ribs and dual spars, stolen from the world of controline. Nice light wings, that take a really hard kersmack into the ground before they re-kit themselves.
Okay, time to shut up!
Craig
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2007, 06:47 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,967 Posts
Good to see (read) another SE5 model. Some progress pictures will be great.
It's not to difficult to post photos - just go to "manage attachments" after the text entry part and more-or-less follow the instructions. Just remember to keep your pictures about 800X600 or smaller.

Keep us posted

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Apr 04, 2007, 08:58 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
Heh Pat
I really like Mike Midkiff's designs, make great flyers! I've also got his 24" Fokker Triplane plan, blown up to 32" for r/c, not quite done yet. I'm building that one for a friend. Hope to use relatively scale style of strut mounts on the wings of the Se5a, using light metal fittings.
Will try some pics later.
Craig
Old Apr 04, 2007, 09:22 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,931 Posts
If you like Mike's stuff you can go to the Dare website and see a lot more of his designs.

Andrew Hewitt also has a couple in there that are nice. I am still trying to get up the courage to build his Camel that's sitting on the shelf.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 04, 2007, 09:35 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
Hi Charlie,
I've got just about every one of Mike's WW Once designs, and a bunch of is WW Twice too. I've also got Andrew Hewitt's Fokker Eindecker FF rubber plan of 44". It's next on my hit list to do R/C. Starting to keep my rubber freeflight at 36" and under, the bigger ones will be R/C.
I'm a big fan of the Eflite outrunners, got a 400 in a Sig Rascal, with over 275 flights on it, still going strong. The airframe has had it's share of repairs however! I covered it in silkspan and dope, and I have yet to split or crack the covering with all the hard arrivals the Rascal has been given. One was hard enough to collapse the nose up to the landing gear! If you put some castor oil in the dope, the tissue is a lot more resilient.
Craig
Old Apr 04, 2007, 10:45 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,931 Posts
Craig,

Sounds like you have a great fleet!

You're more devoted than I. I don't like the dope odor anymore and use litespan, airspan, solite and doculam for my coverings.

I had one plane where I "reverted to my childhood" and covered in tissue with water based polyurethane and painted with acrylics. A good exercise, but, won't do it again.

I have an EFlite 450 sitting waiting for a project. It is a very good motor, having powered my Rake Camel for a while. EFlite and Hacker get my vote for high end motors.

Will enjoy seeing your build come together.

Do you ever get to the SE part of the country? Midkiff always shows up at SMALL in Little Rock the first weekend in June. A great guy.

charlie
Old Apr 04, 2007, 10:56 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
I've been flying E-Flight 400 OR's in both the 60" J-3 and the 44" Tiger Moth with terrific results. Couldn't say for sure how many flights on either, but a good guess would be "a bunch". Will be watching this thread with interest.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Apr 04, 2007, 11:48 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
Pat, Charlie, thanks guys. I know on my 20oz mutilated Rascal with the 400 outrunner and 3s prolites it will go vertical from launch until I get tired of it, or can't see it(darn old eyes!)
Never been to SMALL, would love too though, that and FAC nats. I live in southern Manitoba, Canada. Mind you, I have family in Minnesota that I could mooch a stop over off of.(don't think I owe them any money)
Just finished the second fuse panel for the Se5a, gotta decide how I'm gonna do the motor mount. I really like this size of bird, cheap to build and I can fit them easily in vehicle. I can also just walk to the end of my street and fly the suckers too! That's how you get in 200 flights a summer. Actually Pat you're designs are an inspiration to me, no need to build them with all the ply and metal that others use. The heavier they are the harder they fall, heh, that sounds perty deep!
Craig
Old Apr 04, 2007, 11:52 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
Me again, heh Charlie, lots of us freeflighters are now using clear Krylon spray instead of dope, even on the peanut scale indoor models. It doesn't shrink hardly at all. I've used it as a top coat over nitrate dope and it helped to limit the shrinking of the dope. I've got a peanut scale(13"span) Voison Hydroplane Canard that's over 3 years old, and no warps at all in it.
Craig
Old Apr 05, 2007, 12:11 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,931 Posts
Never heard of using the Krylon. THANKS! Would help not over shrinking the tissue on light structures too. Will have to give it a try.

charlie
Old Apr 05, 2007, 09:35 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
Heh Maltone,
Just realized you're in Aussie land! If it wasn't for cholera, we might of been neighbours. Apparently my greatgrandfather was told to move to Australia from England, for health reasons. On the way there on the boat there was an outbreak of cholera, so they turned around and went back. About 7 years later he moved to Canada. Australia or Canada???? Go figure!
Baldguy
Old Apr 06, 2007, 11:47 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
Okay, I'm a complete computer idiot, how do you resize images so I can post them. Mine are like 2080 by another big number, bigger than 800x600
Old Apr 06, 2007, 12:15 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
If you just upload them to the rcgroups picture dealy it'll resize them for you. The upload will just take a few seconds more but it's dead easy if you're unfamiliar with resizing.

I'm looking forward to seeing these pics too

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Apr 06, 2007, 02:06 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
Thanks Martin. I'll give it a try. Fuse side panels are now joined, with just a few more cross members to go in. All uprights and cross members aft of the cockpit are balsa, all forward of the cockpit are bass. So far both side panels weighed just under 1 ounce.
Old Apr 06, 2007, 06:38 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
Okay folks, here's an attempt at some pics of what I've got so far. Main fuse box is together, needs some more gussets and diagonals. So far just under 1 ounce.