HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2001, 11:06 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I just bought a Litestick, do I use their glue?

I just bought a Litestick & am ready to put it together. I noticed that they include a small tube of glue. Is the included glue any good, it seems that soembody posted that 5-minute epoxy was a better bet, any weight to this?
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2001, 11:11 PM
Triad of Fun
Little Rock, AR Triad: Windy, ECO 8 and E3D
Joined Nov 2000
369 Posts
I think it is good glue. I believe it's rubber cement and has a bit of elasticity which will help on those "not so soft" landings.

I have found that epoxy will hold great but the foam will break just outside of the joint. The included glue gives just a little.

Just an observation, not a fact.
WilliamSettle is offline Find More Posts by WilliamSettle
Old Jun 22, 2001, 11:22 PM
New Milford CT 06776
Joined Sep 2000
621 Posts
I 100% agree with WilliamSettle. I do however need to express one problem with the glue that is experienced only in excessive heat. The glue will soften and actually allow the parts to slip. I had left a Pico Stik in my car for a few very hot days in the summer. The plane was resting in a place where the stabilizer was being pressed to one side. When I took the plane out of the car, I realized that the stab had moved and now sat in the wrong position.
I now use epoxy on my other GWS projects. If you don't plan to abuse your planes as I do by subjecting them to the torturing temperatures of closed up cars baking in the hot sun, then the glue will work just fine.
John Tracey

[This message has been edited by JTinCT (edited 06-22-2001).]
JTinCT is offline Find More Posts by JTinCT
Old Jun 24, 2001, 12:10 AM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
You would have better luck using the 5 min. epoxy I know I did. There glue never drys?
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old Jun 24, 2001, 09:00 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,408 Posts
If you can put up with the stink, then it worked fine for me. It dried fast and stayed a bit "rubbery", as was previously mentioned.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Jun 25, 2001, 10:55 AM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
I like the results of the GWS glue so much, I want to get some more for other projects. It is great on foam, and strong/flexable as well.

What is it and where can I get it (not buying the small GWS package, but a larger amount)
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Jun 25, 2001, 05:02 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,199 Posts
Just finished building one using the supplied glue. No problems at all. Let it sit overnight and it seems to dry well.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Jun 25, 2001, 05:53 PM
Midlothian,Texas USA
Joined May 2001
33 Posts
The GWS glue is great, as said above it gives just a little. I sure wish they could make dowel rods that give just a little. Folded my wings three times but the glue was strong. Glue 3 - dowel rods 0 George
gaduron is offline Find More Posts by gaduron
Old Jun 26, 2001, 03:29 AM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Jun 2001
212 Posts
I agree with MK - the glue is excellent, but needs time to set properly. I've butt-joined a broken wing with it and it's still holding...
alterego is offline Find More Posts by alterego
Old Jun 26, 2001, 08:56 AM
Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Joined Oct 2000
403 Posts
Pullin' Gs

I believe that the GWS cement is similar in texture and smell (I didn't get to taste!) to Bison Clear Adhesive. This is available from Flitehook here in the UK.

See
http://www.aeronutz.free-online.co.uk/suppliers.htm

for details.
Don't know if it is available in the US. Sorry.

Clive.
Clive Henry Jones is offline Find More Posts by Clive Henry Jones