HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:58 AM
Currently between sponsors...
Menasha, WI USA
Joined Jun 2003
771 Posts
Accel Hobby Katana 35 ES Arrives!!!

Three ounces lighter that a Mini Funtana. Flight weight is only 22 ounces! Almost 100 squares more wing area, with a total of 429 square inches! Larger control surfaces, and 100% PROFILE!!!

Introducing the Accel Hobby Katana 35 ES.

E-Flite Park 400-4200
6.6:1 gear
12x6 APCsf
Castle Creations P-25 ESC
Kokam 3S 2000mah LiPo
JR R-600 receiver
HS-55 servos

First off, at 22 ounces, this is the minimum power I'll recommend. Pull out was there, but the feeling I got was that this plane had the lowest thrust to weight ratio I'm currently flying. The math shows 36 ounces of thrust on a 22 ounce plane to be 1.6:1, but it doesn't feel like it to me. Even in the 28 degree dense air, thrust seemed marginal, by Pro Bro standards. Don't get me wrong, it would hover, torque, and pull out, but not like I'm used to. In 100 degrees and 100% humidity, this plane might turn into a dog. The recommended power is 200 to 300 watts, and I think Iím running mine at 186 watts.

In the air, the plane feels really light on the wing, even at very low power, it was crisp. This plane feels more like a Micro Kat 70 than a Mini Kat 40. That's 100% subjective, and perceptual, but it flew more like the 70 to me. The plane moves with purpose, and is solid in itís heading. It feels much larger than it is.

Control was good. I liked the roll and pitch fine, but could have used a bit more rudder. In it's defense, after flying the glow Pitts, everything needs more rudder. My throw all but rests the rudder against the elevator.

In a hover, I wanted more rudder. As long as I was centered, the plane hovered and moved well, but to place the model while hovering was hard using rudder. For example, if hovering, and I decided to slide off to one side for some reason, the rudder made it hard to get back vertical after sliding to the side. It took a pretty good pop of power to whack the tail back under the plane. Maybe an 11x7 prop would be better, but then I'd lose the thrust even more. Maybe just more power anyway, and that will help control the tail.

In flight and harriers, the rudder was very effective. Stall turns were clean, and KE could be turned by doing a "rudder over" easily. I think maybe the pitch speed is the yaw authority issue, or perhaps the tail needs to be marginally shorter.

Hovers: Again, as long as you're on it, it hovers well. I could not stop a torque, once it got started with aileron, but I could hold it off as long as the aileron was there before the torque. Even right down to ankle height, hovers were comfortable.

Harriers. The easiest plane I've ever put into a harrier is still the Extreme Flight Mini 3D, but this plane is no slouch. Upright was easy, but I had to hold in some right rudder. I think a hint more right thrust than I put is necessary, even at lower power levels. Otherwise, maybe lateral balance is at fault. The Kokam battery is 6 ounces, I think, and on the left of the fuse. I'll see if I can get it on the right side, and compensate for the minimal right thrust. Inverts were a little more squirrelly. I think that was battery placement. My pack was below center on the plane. I'll try again, with the battery higher. I could do inverts, but I didn't want it low.

Rolling. No real harrier rolls were done, but regular rolls were axial and at a good rate. I had some expo on aileron, and it will be gone by the next flight. The ailerons are not over sensitive. Snaps were what I'd expect from a profile. Pretty much, real fast barrel rolls.

Knife Edge. My plane had a gentle pull to the canopy in flying speed Knife Edge. Not much at all, and easily flown out with just a hint of push on the right stick. No roll in regular KE was there. High alpha pitched more, and introduced rolling by the time the rudder is pegged. Cross controlling wasn't too bad. I could do a mix, but probably won't. It wasn't a big deal.

Waterfalls were nice and straight.

Elevators. Upright and inverted, the plane falls pretty good. Slowly getting into the power transitioned well into a harrier. Waterfalls into invert elevators, very cool!

Spins. I never got a real good flat spin going down. Maybe too much aileron in there. I did get a good upright climbing spin twice. From a hover, go left rudder, full power, right aileron, full up. That got me a real good upright climb. The CG may be too conservative for a good spin, if not an aileron issue.

Walls were good, but leaned left. I think that's the battery again. A touch of right rudder on the way in, ended up with the plane straight up. Walls happen good and fast.

I looked up some numbers, and the new Appogee battery would take an ounce off the nose, and still give the power necessary. I'll look around to see what it will take to move up a power class. Maybe not all the way to 300 watts, but this system is actually only about 180 watts. There has to be some middle ground. Maybe the Hacker that E-Flite is showing off. Maybe a Razor 2500. I'll have a look and ask Dr. Auger (Jeffery here) for some advice. I'd like to stay with the 25 amp ESC, so that may limit the options to zero. Again, it flies OK like this, but not the rocket ship I'm used to.

Flight time was all I wanted in the cold. Maybe 12 minutes or so.

Iíll be flying the plane indoors this weekend, and should have some video to show by Monday.

The Accel line up of Electric planes will begin with three models. There will be the Katana 35 (shown here), the Katana 30, and the Pitts Biplane. The airframes are in stock, in Chicago right now. Accel is waiting for the hardware packs to arrive from China, and then will begin to ship orders. The parts are coming in airfreight, and the delay should be minimal.

You can find all the planes at www.AccelHobby.com
TailTwister is offline Find More Posts by TailTwister
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2005, 08:05 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
This looks like it's gonna be just what the doctor ordered for guys wanting a more 3D'able plane than the Little Funtana.

While I've been a die-hard Lehner user (and if I get one of these, it'll have a 1020/15 on it to try it), this looks like a very nice alternative.

The 1105/2.5Y in a Cobri 28 at 5.83~6:1 will be killer IMHO. And a lot cheaper/easier to get than a 1020/15.

I don't think a 25A ESC will allow you to fully experience this motor, I'd run 30A thru it for sure.

And yeah, I'll let you guys know how the motor does
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Last edited by Jeffery; Feb 25, 2005 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Had wrong gearbox size designation
Old Feb 22, 2005, 08:28 PM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
always getting new toys aren't you Auger?
Quicker is offline Find More Posts by Quicker
Old Feb 22, 2005, 08:31 PM
Texas..Bigger than France
Austin Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
I ordered the new Bipe Accel has. Hopefully it wil be here soon Very good review Twister. Any videos?? and wil you be at the Houston meet next month?

Scott
moter is offline Find More Posts by moter
Old Feb 22, 2005, 08:34 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
Dude, you have to keep on top of things

But seriously, if this thing does as good as I think it will (it's kinda sorta similar to the Razor 24-3650, but with a little higher Kv and some published power limits..) it'll be perfect for a plane this size. And another important feature, you can buy it. And yet another feature, you can get it worked on if needed.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 08:37 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moter
I ordered the new Bipe Accel has. Hopefully it wil be here soon Very good review Twister. Any videos?? and wil you be at the Houston meet next month?

Scott
I think I can speak for TailTwister...he ain't gonna be in Houston. But..........

I BET there will be at least a couple of these planes there
Old Feb 22, 2005, 08:59 PM
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
I think I can speak for TailTwister...he ain't gonna be in Houston. But..........

I BET there will be at least a couple of these planes there

Right after i hit the Post button I realized he is not from Texas or any where close
Old Feb 25, 2005, 03:13 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
Well I ordered the Neu Motors 1105/2.5Y to see if it can take the crown from the Lehner 1020 as the baddest motor out there in this size range. We shall see!
Old Feb 25, 2005, 08:37 PM
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
anyone know when the Pitts wil be shipped? I ordered one last Sunday and Im just wondering.

Thanks,

Scott
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:22 PM
W. Bloomfield, Mi
Joined Oct 2002
508 Posts
I was thinking of a Himax 2025-4200 with their gearbox 6x6.1 with TP 2100 3s. Will this be a good set-up? enough power? Do I need to go to bigger servos than Hitec 55? Any comments, better set ups would be appreciated. I am looking for a low hassle set-up nothing esoteric or requiring modification. Thanks.

Michael
msp1957 is offline Find More Posts by msp1957
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:42 PM
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
That should give you close to 40 oz thrust I think that will be enough
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:47 PM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
Agreed. Looks good to me.

Q
Quicker is offline Find More Posts by Quicker
Old Aug 28, 2005, 09:51 PM
W. Bloomfield, Mi
Joined Oct 2002
508 Posts
Thanks. What prop do you recommend?

Michael
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:17 PM
W. Bloomfield, Mi
Joined Oct 2002
508 Posts
Also was wondering about the battery selection. Am I under powering with the TP 2100? I have Tanic 2600 3s. Trying to keep things light, plus the Tanics are from last year.

Michael
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:24 AM
Currently between sponsors...
Menasha, WI USA
Joined Jun 2003
771 Posts
My first set up was the Park 400 (2025-4200 clone) and 6.6:1 with a 12x6, and it was OK, but sluggish. And that was in 10 degree WI winter weather. I hopped it up to 5.33:1 and pitched down to a 12x3.8 APC, and it woke up big time. I was pulling 21.6 amps, as I recall, and it was very good. The Kat 35 in my vid had this set up.

I fly HS-55s in mine, and it is fine that way. It does the meanest parachutes you can imagine, and I've yet to have a servo give up in flight. The servo bays are made for HS-81 size servos, so for a 55 size, you have to add a 1/4 stick shim to the opening.

For packs, I have used the Kokam 2000 3S (15C), Tanic 2220 3S (10c to 12C), and even a PQ 1800 3S (12C, I think it said). On My axi 2808-24 set up, the PQ gets really hot, but the other two are cool at the end of the pack.
TailTwister is offline Find More Posts by TailTwister