SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2014, 01:30 AM
Joined Apr 2010
105 Posts
Build Log
goldberg Valkyrie build

Hello All,

I'm starting a Carl Goldberg Valkyrie. The vert and Horiz. stabs are done as well as all the ribs. so far so good. Boy it's a lot of work.

The plans call out for a "very Hard balsa trailing edge." I received my shipment from Specialized Balsa today. I think i received oak instead. I had to break out my carpentry plain to rough shape the trailing edge. Comparing it to 6# balsa the same segment is 20 grams lighter for that one 3' length. That's an extra 2+ oz. for the rest of the wing. Although the hard stock is very stiff. I guess that's the point

The question I have is: Is very hard balsa required for this wing given that there are 17 spars?

Let me know if anybody is interested in a build thread for this bird.

Thanks for your help

Phil
phil p is offline Find More Posts by phil p
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2014, 01:52 AM
Joined Oct 2010
326 Posts
Magnificent!!!
sablatnic is online now Find More Posts by sablatnic
Old Feb 06, 2014, 12:06 PM
Joined Apr 2010
105 Posts
build Log

I miss spoke yesterday,

National Balsa has alway delivered what I asked for. If there was a problem, they fixed it. i'm sure if I did the calcs, the hard balsa weighs what it should.

Phil
Old Feb 06, 2014, 01:59 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Nice work Phil. Thanks for sharing. We'll all be watching.
John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Feb 08, 2014, 10:32 AM
United States, NJ, Edison
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
Hi,

This is really beautiful! It is my favorite Old Timer and I know a ton of work. Is this a plans built endeavor or is there a full or partial kit that you are using.
Charlie
charles dayt is offline Find More Posts by charles dayt
Old Feb 08, 2014, 11:45 AM
Joined Apr 2010
105 Posts
Hi Charlie,

This is a plans built labor of.......well you know. I'm using uncle willies plans. There are a couple of small dimensional errors in the plans. It's not a big deal if you didn't correct them. I don't think anybody would ever notice.

Thanks for asking

Phil
Old Feb 08, 2014, 12:05 PM
Joined Apr 2010
105 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that I got all my cues from Franny's build log. She does amazing work. I used 1/8 inch sticks and laid them over the plans with pins to form he upper and Lower camber, then filled in trusses from there. I used solid material for the d section of the ribs and small sticks for the trailing edge filler.

I tried using lighter material for the trailing edge of the wing. But at 5 feet it became a not so flat and brittle waste of time. So, I remade them out of hard balsa. What I have now are 5 foot long hockey sticks. Straight as an arrow and hard as rocks. However, each of them weigh 80 grams, about double the weight of 6 pound material.
Old Feb 08, 2014, 06:39 PM
United States, NJ, Edison
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will be watching as you build this beauty. It is truly inspirational. Please keep posting more pictures and video if you have any. This is a fascinating project and beautifully built!

Best,

Charlie
charles dayt is offline Find More Posts by charles dayt
Old Feb 08, 2014, 11:10 PM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
774 Posts
valkyrie

that is a real beauty and a lot of work, I'm building from scratch and it takes days just to finish 1 thing
slam555 is offline Find More Posts by slam555
Old Feb 09, 2014, 01:33 PM
Joined Apr 2010
105 Posts
trailing edges

In Jpeg #3 I tried to match up the grain, but my stock was limited, so it is what it is.

I finally broke out my saber saw to cut the other trailing edge. The balsa is so hard it cuts like pine. My block plane loads up with the fibers so I'm back to hand sanding. I've got a little more sanding to do on the trailing edges. As of now the weight of each one is 82 grams/2.9oz. this is about double the weight of standard stock material. I want to get most of the sanding on the trailing edges out of the way before I start on the wings because the ribs are so fragile. I know I'll break then the second I start sanding. I think I have 3 hours in them already
Old Feb 09, 2014, 07:59 PM
Joined Apr 2010
105 Posts
Trial Fitting Ribs

I got the trailing edges done today. I'm starting to trial fit the ribs. The challenge is getting the spars to line up with the apexes. Not all the apexes have a 1/8" gap to accommodate the spars. So, one by one I have to see if the ribs are in the right spot and or the spars are sitting correctly in the saddle.

I ended up ripping some clear vertical grain Douglas Fur into 1/8" sticks
8 feet long for the spars. I couldn't find decent Spruce in my area that didn't cost me an arm and a leg

All in all I'm pleased with the trial fit. There's only a couple ribs where I'll have to shim up. There are a few I'll have to sand down even.
I found some thin (.012 ") x 1/8 x 24" basswood to shim ribs with. I think it'l work great.
Old Feb 09, 2014, 08:19 PM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
774 Posts
valkyrie

just cover that sucker in clear, anything else is an insult to your craftsmanship
slam555 is offline Find More Posts by slam555
Old Feb 09, 2014, 10:30 PM
Joined Apr 2010
105 Posts
I was thinking of clear and painting the perimeter of the wing the trim color. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 09, 2014, 10:33 PM
Joined Apr 2010
105 Posts
Are you building the Valkyrie too?
Old Feb 09, 2014, 10:37 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil p View Post
I was thinking of clear and painting the perimeter of the wing the trim color. Any thoughts?
Yes Phil, yes!

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590