SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:06 AM
Joined Nov 2012
186 Posts
Thanks for the idea! ! In Total i use 12 micro servo's and 1 sailwinch. For the yaw in the 3bsm i use the tailrotor servo from Align. I agree it is alot
Joel_Vlashof is online now Find More Posts by Joel_Vlashof
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2014, 03:24 AM
Joined Nov 2012
186 Posts
RC F-35 VTOL STOVL TEST FLIGHT (1 min 35 sec)

This guys finaly did it.. Bit unstable/needs soms fine tuning...but cool!!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 06:27 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,909 Posts
Ah, yes, the Japanese guy. I remember him posting here a couple of years ago, and then disappearing. Glad to see he actually did it. I think he also has a 3 section swiveling duct, but with servos in the duct.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Dec 12, 2014, 07:29 AM
Joined Nov 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
Ah, yes, the Japanese guy. I remember him posting here a couple of years ago, and then disappearing. Glad to see he actually did it. I think he also has a 3 section swiveling duct, but with servos in the duct.
Yes indeed, he tilts the whole ducted fan downwards and uses 2x70mm and 2x40mm.for ailron controll.. but cool that he did it.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 08:26 AM
日本
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
Thanks joel.
And was impressed to see your swivel duct.
But I thought I'd complete flight on my way.

Once you can complete flight with swivel duct, it is possible to reproduce a more real machine!
mitubachiflight is online now Find More Posts by mitubachiflight
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:15 AM
Joined Nov 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitubachiflight View Post
Thanks joel.
And was impressed to see your swivel duct.
But I thought I'd complete flight on my way.

Once you can complete flight with swivel duct, it is possible to reproduce a more real machine!
Indeed, great milestone and many respect that you did the complete flight on youre own way!!! i hope to do the full flight soon hovering is easy compare making the correct configuration from hovering to a normal flight and back to hover. this is a new big challange...but also alot of fun
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:17 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,909 Posts
Depending on the cost, I'd suggest you to make also a conventional takeoff version of the F35 fitted with ballast to mimic the VTOL to practice conventional flight before attempting the full conversion to wingborne flight. This thing is going to be fairly heavy, and that means it will have to fly fast.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:47 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
354 Posts
Amazing to see it hovering, transitioning and flying! Great work!!
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan
Old Dec 12, 2014, 03:23 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Depending on the cost, I'd suggest you to make also a conventional takeoff version of the F35 fitted with ballast to mimic the VTOL to practice conventional flight before attempting the full conversion to wingborne flight. This thing is going to be fairly heavy, and that means it will have to fly fast.
This will be pretty hard to do ... as getting the same weight to rotate off the ground that you can do in the air will not be the same ---- close but not the same .

#1 in the air you don't have the ground friction / resistance to slow rotational flight down .

#2 on the ground you have to rotate and lift up ..... in the air you can fall into wingborne flight - gaining speed as you fall .

But that said ... yes it would be best to know that your airplane flies and can carry a lot of extra weight before trying a transition in the air .

I packed weight on my V-22 / ground test bird ,,, until it would not rotate easy and smooth ... and it was close enough to the all up weight of the VTOL one,,that I felt more comfortable trying a transition with it .
v22chap is online now Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:41 AM
Joined Nov 2012
186 Posts
Vtol edf xplane (0 min 53 sec)
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:48 AM
Joined Nov 2012
186 Posts
Hi all. Yes indeed. before the real deal i am going to take off like a normal plane and land it like a normal plane. seperate i try some hovers and fast transition fleights to learn of the behavior. today i tried to hover the plane in wind..this time with wings on it. total flying weight is now 3 kg...i have to stay under the max flying weight of 3.5 kg or else the wingload i to heavy and the plane need to fly fast...but enjoy the video
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:50 AM
Joined Nov 2012
186 Posts
Vtol x35 new setup testing (0 min 42 sec)
Old Dec 13, 2014, 02:26 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,135 Posts
Makes a good leaf blower also I can see my neighbors now .. when I get this model out to blow my yard clean

Joel ,,, that bird is really looking smooth ,,, love the fuselage opening up to allow hover too . That is such an awesome bird ..... job very well done
v22chap is online now Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2014
5 Posts
Very Impressive. That thing is going to be great!
PoorDad57 is offline Find More Posts by PoorDad57