wow.....just wow
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2013, 10:35 PM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
649 Posts
Interesting question. I guess my answer is yes to both.
It depends on how I want to fly that day.

If i want a long lazy day of flying i pull out the power assisted gliders and away i go.
other days it'll be very hot an dry with almost constant wind so having a heavy powered lead sled is helpful.

on other days i feel the urge to take on the challenge of working the lightest of gopher fart thermals i'll pull out the winch or bungee an go with a super light floater.
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon
Old Jul 06, 2013, 04:58 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jul 07, 2013, 12:10 AM
I hate propellors
Australia, SA, Normanville
Joined May 2009
389 Posts
For fifteen years I was a purist,but then moved to an area where there was a only a power based club and decided that it was too hard to be the only one flying a glider, with the launching and circuit landing issues. I was finding no trouble learning to fly power then one day as I was in the public area, not even in the pits, a mistake by others who were setting up an electric power plane ( Non Glider) put the 3/4 hp electric with 11 inch prop to full throttle about two metres from me. I was hit by the plane and lost the tip of two fingers on my right hand with extensive tendon damage. The impact was far more than physical. I find it difficult even to be in indoor flying sites and now that I have experienced the power of an electric motor, the idea of having power on the nose of my gliders, or flying with others who do, sends a cold shiver down my spine. I am back to slope flying and the occasional bungee launch. I used to enjoy being in a club, but the predominance of planes with propellers means that I no longer belong to one and mainly fly alone.

I am not a purist by logic, but my incident has made me a purist by practice.
emufingers is online now Find More Posts by emufingers
Old Jul 07, 2013, 01:14 AM
Joined Jul 2009
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emufingers View Post
For fifteen years I was a purist,but then moved to an area where there was a only a power based club and decided that it was too hard to be the only one flying a glider, with the launching and circuit landing issues. I was finding no trouble learning to fly power then one day as I was in the public area, not even in the pits, a mistake by others who were setting up an electric power plane ( Non Glider) put the 3/4 hp electric with 11 inch prop to full throttle about two metres from me. I was hit by the plane and lost the tip of two fingers on my right hand with extensive tendon damage. The impact was far more than physical. I find it difficult even to be in indoor flying sites and now that I have experienced the power of an electric motor, the idea of having power on the nose of my gliders, or flying with others who do, sends a cold shiver down my spine. I am back to slope flying and the occasional bungee launch. I used to enjoy being in a club, but the predominance of planes with propellers means that I no longer belong to one and mainly fly alone.

I am not a purist by logic, but my incident has made me a purist by practice.
That's very unfortunate. Remember not to stand too close to the slope when there are hot dogger molded carbon planes in the air. One of those things will go right through your skull or take a forearm off.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac