HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Would you like to install wire landing gear on your Skywing/Wattaplane Edge/Slick?
Yes, I would like to install wire landing gear 19 61.29%
No, I am happy with the carbon fibre landing gear included in the kit 12 38.71%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:42 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,420 Posts
The wire gear on my 3DHS 40" EPP Edge and 48" EPP Extra is rock solid, even with heavier power systems in them. Did they change something? While they both have their flaws and I don't fly either one anymore because of these superior Skywing designs, they have (or had) the best wire gear I've ever seen. What gives?

And yeah, they won't fit into these new planes at all. Totally different mount.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:14 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
so is there any other manufactures wire LG that would work with this? would like to get before the weekend.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:18 AM
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
IMHO, it's a matter of personal preference and most importantly on what type of surfaces you fly off.

Wire landing gear is better suited to a less than smooth surface, no matter how proficient you may be. Although wire landing gear doesn't look as nice, it can be moded out to look pretty acceptable.

Those lucky enough to fly off a smooth surface, the choice is ultimately yours.

One has to keep in mind, it's STILL a cheap EPP foamy after-all , no matter which way you look at it and NOT a scale model

Agreed! regardless what you choose additional reinforcement and/or using metal bolts is advisable.

On the 38" Skywing models, I leave out the landing gear altogether when I fly to save weight (personal preference) and hand catch.
stryker2 is offline Find More Posts by stryker2
Last edited by stryker2; Nov 20, 2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 08:12 PM
Joined Jan 2005
549 Posts
I fly my Skywing foamies off a grass runway that at times can be pretty rough.

With 350+ flights on my Slick 48" with cf landing gear, I can say that the cf landing will stand up to abuse. The only time I had a minor problem, I made a hard landing in strong wind. The plastic bolts snapped off, as they should.

With 300+ flights on my Slick 55" with wire landing gear, I can say I really dislike wire landing gear. Is this a trainer plane, that would be the only reason I could understand for the wire gear. Also, although I'm not that concerned with the looks of my planes, the wire landing gear is really ugly. I covered it up as best I can with foam, but that doesn't last in hard use.

Now if Skywing would stop releasing planes with wings attached with rubber bands.
malcolmm is online now Find More Posts by malcolmm
Old Dec 07, 2014, 09:48 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,293 Posts
I also own the Skywing 55" Slick and I just repaired (for the 4th time) the wood in the landing gear mount. I don't mind the wire landing gear; however, what I do mind is the cheap and weak wood construction of the landing gear mount. Even a fairly moderate force applied to the wire landing gear results in damage to the wood constructing the landing gear mount. As a matter of fact, this is such a PIA that I'm going to sell my 55" Slick.
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06