HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:33 AM
Sweden, Stockholm
Joined Jul 2012
293 Posts
Discussion
What (warbird) kits are a perfect fit for UMX Beast eletronics?

I've got a written off Beast (v1) that I got dirt cheap. Now I need to find some useful project to put the electronics (which are still fine) in.

I'd prefer a WW2 warbird of some kind, and I do like planes with radial engines, zero's fw-190's and corsairs spring to mind. I'm not looking for unlimited vertical, but some level of performance would be nice.

Any ideas on decent balsa kits that work well with the kit I have are appreciated. Preferably something with good availability, like something from Guillows, Dare, Dumas etc..
XeCutor is offline Find More Posts by XeCutor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:28 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
It's not a warbird but can't beat a Stevens for build quality.

I'm currently building this. http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...t-p-20559.html

Recommendation from Stevens is the same bits out of the V1. I'm using a 2S wound AP-05 Motor to do the job, fits perfectly on the kit supplied, laser cut, ply firewall. The flat mount part of the plastic Beast motor mount (held by the two larger screws) mounted vertically on the firewall also fits nicely in order to use the stock Beast Park 180 motor.

This kit, as with most of the Stevens UM balsa kits, are designed to take the bits of crashed Parkzone and Eflite UM foamies.

Unfortunately I have too may kits and not enough crashed foamies Gets addictive building these kits.
zaaphiel is offline Find More Posts by zaaphiel
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:06 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,917 Posts
Isn't the beast a brushless 2 cell setup?
That would be a perfect fit in any of the Guillows 500 series kits. They are inexpensive and make really decent flying models if built light. I use mostly kit wood and used to make new formers aft of the TE out of really light wood. Since, I have found that block sanding the back side of the die cut sheets to thin the wood by about 1/3 lightens it enough to be usable.

Once the formers are on the keels but before the stringers, use the drum sander and make the former openings as large as possible and thin the keels down to 1/16" from the inside. Cover in kit tissue and dope and paint with Model Master Acryls.

I have had problems with tail heaviness using a single cell, but a 2 cell mounted in the nose would work perfect.

Here's a video of my 16" span FW190.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=131

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:23 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Not a warbird but a perfect match for your electronics.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793583

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:37 AM
Sweden, Stockholm
Joined Jul 2012
293 Posts
That FW190 looks stunning, I'm sure I could build the kit well enough but I'd never get your level of finish and details. Thanks for pointing out the range though, it looks like it's a great fit size-wise. The Guillows FW190 looks quite tempting, especially since it's dirt cheap for me to get. The Dumas Zero or Corsair or Thunderbolt look to be the same wingspan so I figure they should be a good fit for the electronics as well. Pro - laser cut, get a feeling they're easier to build light without mods, Con - a bit more expensive than the Guillows.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:37 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
964 Posts
The Cox Micro Warbirds (or Gravity Hobby Classic Warbirds now apparently) should be perfect for the Beast electronics.
Latest thread;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post13451224

JP's Hobbyverkstad sold me a few some years ago and still lists them:
http://www.hobbyverkstad.se/
(Flygplan->elmodeller and scroll down)

Still have a Cox Corsair to be fitted with B3D guts, when I get around to it..

Now you tell me how to get Guillows kits "dirt cheap" in Sweden!
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:53 PM
Sweden, Stockholm
Joined Jul 2012
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
Now you tell me how to get Guillows kits "dirt cheap" in Sweden!
I never said anything about from Sweden, but there are plenty of UK sellers on ebay who ship to Sweden for very reasonable money, and the kits are really cheap to begin with (I'm comparing to Swedish prices which are generally quite high).

Example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guillows-5...item20ccb9bb0d
Price 12 + 4 shipping equates to slightly less than 180 SEK shipped. Being sent from within the EU there's no chance of having to pay additional VAT or customs expedition fees etc.

Dumas kits can be had on Ebay from the US but are more pricey and you risk paying VAT (a 23+12$ Corsair for example would cost 240 or 400 SEK depending on luck with customs), most Dumas models can be bought in Sweden from mft.nu for around 450SEK shipped if you want quick delivery.

The Cox birds looks quite nice and would probably have been a very good recommendation if I weren't looking for something made out of balsa-sticks for self-assembly. Building it is half the fun.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:32 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Isn't the beast a brushless 2 cell setup?
That would be a perfect fit in any of the Guillows 500 series kits. They are inexpensive and make really decent flying models if built light. I use mostly kit wood and used to make new formers aft of the TE out of really light wood. Since, I have found that block sanding the back side of the die cut sheets to thin the wood by about 1/3 lightens it enough to be usable.

Once the formers are on the keels but before the stringers, use the drum sander and make the former openings as large as possible and thin the keels down to 1/16" from the inside. Cover in kit tissue and dope and paint with Model Master Acryls.

I have had problems with tail heaviness using a single cell, but a 2 cell mounted in the nose would work perfect.

Here's a video of my 16" span FW190.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=131

Glenn
glewis: your FW-190 is SICK. Ridiculously good craftsmanship. I wonder (being a foamie scratchbuilder) how much weight difference there is between 1mm depron and tissue/dope. What is your AUW if I might ask?
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:35 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,917 Posts
Thanks. 54 grams ready to fly including a 160mAh single cell.
Build thread is here, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1544230
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:56 AM
Sweden, Stockholm
Joined Jul 2012
293 Posts
Thanks for all input. In the end I decided I wanted to try something from Dumas, primarily to see how good the wood and laser cuting is. I had a hard time choosing between the Corsair and the Zero, in the end I went with the Zero since the build should be a bit less complex due to the simpler wing, and I don't want to spend too much time on this plane, I want to build it quickly so I can start another project I have on my todo-list, a twin engine Douglas A26 Invader.
Last edited by XeCutor; Jan 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:00 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Thanks. 54 grams ready to fly including a 160mAh single cell.
Build thread is here, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1544230
Glenn
I have a turnigy 1811-2000kv 10g brushless motor and 6a esc to put somewhere, I'm thinking skinned in 1mm foam for some extra durability and easy repairs, this Focke Wulf could be amazing. Again, great work.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick