HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:28 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
278 Posts
Flaps

Do I need flaps for take off with this plane...calm wind on pavement? Landing? If so, what setting and how much down do you mix in?

I'm used to landing a foamy Habu... and the FW Su-35...no flaps needed. Also, with a plane like the lander F-16 (4S), where folks say the flaperons are really crucial, I was ok (and preferred) to land without flap...even in calm headwind.

Bought the 90mm Viper used...maiden tomorrow.

Thanks,

Andrew
sothpaw is offline Find More Posts by sothpaw
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:37 AM
Registered User
Habanero's Avatar
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Jul 2008
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw View Post
Do I need flaps for take off with this plane...calm wind on pavement? Landing? If so, what setting and how much down do you mix in?

I'm used to landing a foamy Habu... and the FW Su-35...no flaps needed. Also, with a plane like the lander F-16 (4S), where folks say the flaperons are really crucial, I was ok (and preferred) to land without flap...even in calm headwind.

Bought the 90mm Viper used...maiden tomorrow.

Thanks,

Andrew
i don't use flaps just learned to give myself a lot of room for the final approach cause it can really glide and really roll- first time off the end of the runway. I like a little bit of wind for it because then this becomes less of an issue. Good luck.
Habanero is offline Find More Posts by Habanero
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:37 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Burleson
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw View Post
Do I need flaps for take off with this plane...calm wind on pavement? Landing? If so, what setting and how much down do you mix in?

I'm used to landing a foamy Habu... and the FW Su-35...no flaps needed. Also, with a plane like the lander F-16 (4S), where folks say the flaperons are really crucial, I was ok (and preferred) to land without flap...even in calm headwind.

Bought the 90mm Viper used...maiden tomorrow.

Thanks,

Andrew
I use half flaps for take-off and full flaps for landing on calm days but it works fine with no flaps also. I don't mix in any elevator and the plane does just fine with no pitching. It balances well if I push my 6s 5000 battery back to just in front of the PCB board and am using the stock motor & fan. The Viper is easy and enjoyable to fly. Good luck.
dontop is online now Find More Posts by dontop
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontop View Post
I use half flaps for take-off and full flaps for landing on calm days but it works fine with no flaps also. I don't mix in any elevator and the plane does just fine with no pitching. It balances well if I push my 6s 5000 battery back to just in front of the PCB board and am using the stock motor & fan. The Viper is easy and enjoyable to fly. Good luck.
Sounds good. I'm very practiced in using the rudder to slow down. What I do is to deliberately approach low and off center towards me. Then, I on final approach, I use rudder and throttle to adjust the position. I can do S turns with rudder if needed. Throttle is needed on the Su-35 to avoid stall. It's tough to stall the foamy Habu.

A few weeks back, I did 11 consecutive touch and go's with the above method and Habu. It works for that thing.
sothpaw is offline Find More Posts by sothpaw
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 02:49 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2013
3,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw View Post
Sounds good. I'm very practiced in using the rudder to slow down. What I do is to deliberately approach low and off center towards me. Then, I on final approach, I use rudder and throttle to adjust the position. I can do S turns with rudder if needed. Throttle is needed on the Su-35 to avoid stall. It's tough to stall the foamy Habu.

A few weeks back, I did 11 consecutive touch and go's with the above method and Habu. It works for that thing.
Be careful not to turn too slow...she WILL STALL.....
HellHathNoFury is online now Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
Be careful not to turn too slow...she WILL STALL.....
Ok. Yes, as part of above, I always make the turn to final with mid throttle and some speed. The key is to start the approach low and faaaar out.

The above went just fine today with the 90mm Viper. Maiden had no issues except I really need to adjust the nose steering servo...I needed quite a bit of left steering. No flaps are needed; I will never use them. The end of our paved runway has grass following it for quite a way before it drops off (a hill).

Compared to the 70mm Tomahawk Viper, this 90mm sounded much better and I loved the lights at dusk. The power to weight on 6S is not there yet on the 90mm but I knew that when I bought it. I think it's a bit slower also but I think the sound and retracts are worth it for now. The 70mm runs on 4S packs which are cheaper...alas...tradeoffs.
sothpaw is offline Find More Posts by sothpaw
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:36 AM
Registered User
Temperance MI (Toledo OH area)
Joined Apr 2007
35 Posts
Anybody out there know where I can get a NLG retract unit? Not the strut just the electric retract unit.

Thanks much. Drifty
Beak is offline Find More Posts by Beak
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2014, 07:17 AM
Peter S.
HPS52's Avatar
Austria, Sbg., Salzburg
Joined Nov 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak View Post
Anybody out there know where I can get a NLG retract unit? Not the strut just the electric retract unit.
Thanks much. Drifty
RC Castle have it:
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=1703
HPS52 is offline Find More Posts by HPS52
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New 90mm Viper Jet Chris True Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 20 Nov 18, 2014 01:33 PM
Build Log FOAM Viper Jet MK2 with 90mm 12 blade EDF (made by Ysnk) ysnk Scratchbuilt EDFs 16 Sep 25, 2012 03:40 PM
Discussion Viper jet 90mm from hk balone10 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 2 Mar 09, 2012 06:57 PM