SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Dec 2003
134 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy micro quad V2 ARTF

I ordered this on Oct 31st and it still not here. Is there anything I need to know before it arrives? This will be my first Quad.

Crash99
crash99 is offline Find More Posts by crash99
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
Yeah... the smaller the frame, the harder it is to tune your flight controller and achieve stable flight.

You should have started with a much larger frame.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Jul 2010
56 Posts
If you order something on backorder; don't be surprise if it never ships.
Maeltne is offline Find More Posts by Maeltne
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
I have this and I can confirm that it can be made to be extremely stable. It comes preset to very docile settings on the KK2 board. Depending on your skill level, you may want to up the stick settings and tweak the gains a bit. For mine, I had some pretty bad yaw drift which was easily corrected by boosting the yaw gains and limits. I also needed to recalibrate the sensors because it was not balanced (or maybe they calibrated on an uneven table). Also check the solder joints and make sure all connections are solid. And before you fly, be sure to set your zeros on the radio settings on the KK2 board, otherwise you'll drift.

If you are running firmware 1.2, don't even try to use auto level. It's horrible and will likely cause you to crash.

Also, if you are new to this, know that the frame is stiff, but brittle so fly over grass or soft carpet. If it crashes on a hard surface, the frame will snap at the weak points (there are several...especially near the motors and the FC "cage"). I've crashed hard multiple times from 20 feet high onto grass with no damage. But snapped the cage from a 1 foot drop onto a stone tile.
AlmostCool is offline Find More Posts by AlmostCool
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Dec 2003
134 Posts
Ordered it on the 31st, ship on the 2nd, but it has not made it through customs according to the post office.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Dec 2003
134 Posts
It came in today.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Dec 2003
134 Posts
I placed an 2S 800MA battery and my HK HD wing camera on it. Performed a trim flight, Not much had to be changed. It was very stable. Placed another battery on it and took it outside. It pop up with no issues. Very stable, then took it up above the roof to get some more video of the area.

Around 30 seconds up there it started to bounce and shake a little. I started to bring it down and the right front red prop came off. It crashed down on the roof breaking the HK HD wing camera, one leg / board and 2 tips where the motors connect to. If the roof did not break the fall it would have been a total lost. I am glad there was a bush there so it did not hit the ground.

I did glue it back together and installed new blades and 2mm prop hubs. I also had to install 2 wires to bypass the cracked board for power to the speed controller. I have placed 5 flights on it so far after the prop issue.

Is it me or is the push down prop a bad design?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
You live up to your name...

These props require some minor boring to get them to fit. If you bore them too much, they will fly off. Just make sure you keep the props on with a firm fit (i.e, you should only be able to barely twist them on with force...if they slide on easily, don't use them).
AlmostCool is offline Find More Posts by AlmostCool
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Dec 2003
134 Posts
All of the were firm to go on and hard to remove. I wish the Camrea woul have not been trashed so I could see if the blade broke apart before comming off.