HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Discussion
Got the bug again.

Hi everybody!

Encouraged by all the great build logs I've found here, I've rekindled my love of RC again and ordered a few kits.

As a lad (20+ year ago) I drew a huge amount of enjoyment from building balsa and tissue rubber powered kits, but always dreamed of being able control them like my dads IC planes. I had a go a couple of year ago of getting back into flying with a Plantraco starter kit, but quickly dropped it by how flimsy and weak the actuators were (and foam just doesnt appeal to me as I'm more into building than flying).

Then I came upon the Guillow RC conversion threads here- this I think is exactly what I've been waiting for!

I've therefore ordered a Guillows bird dog and ME-109 kit I get me started, along with a plantraco micro9-s-4ch rx and some hk-5320 servos (I already have the plantraco tx so might as well make use of it). I've not selected a drive train or battery yet until I get a handle on what AUW I'm going to hit, tho I'd like to go brushless/ESC route if possible just because it appeals to me. Pointers on this side would be welcome.

Plan is to build the bird dog first as I've done one before (and was probably the best ff model I ever did as a kid) before tackling the 109. Both will be full 4 channel and as scale as possible. I know I've not build a model in over 20years, but pretty sure I can do a good job of making these kits fly able-especially with all the useful info and build logs here.

So, there you go. Looking forwards to starting my first build log and getting into it. Till then feel free to chime in with your thoughts! Cheers. Bob
BobSmoke is offline Find More Posts by BobSmoke
Last edited by BobSmoke; Sep 10, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:27 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,318 Posts
Welcome back, looking forward to seeing your builds take shape.

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:23 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,580 Posts
Welcome to the world of Guillow's tragics Bob.

Enjoy

Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:09 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Beaver View Post
Welcome to the world of Guillow's tragics Bob.

Enjoy

Phil
What Phil said!
But once you convert one and it flies well, you're hooked, hooked bad.
Phil has done more conversions than any of us and what he says it true!
I've done a few myself and I will warn you as I have warned others, converting a Guillows model ain't easy.

Main thing it to remember your free flight roots and build as light as possible.

Adding more power doesn't really solve anything, you'll end up with a flying brick going Mach2 before it makes a nice divot in the field turf..
Check incidence and decalage and adjust accordingly. Wing +2deg, horizontal stab 0deg measured to the fuselage datum. Set CG at 25% MAC to start, don't be fooled by the free flight CG marked on the plan.
Also consider modifying the airfoil to a Clark Y profile. It reduces speed/pitch coupling and will result in a much better flying model.

Did I mention build light? My best conversions used nothing but the plastic parts, decals and the plan from the kit. All new parts are cut out of genuine balsa wood instead of the oak like stuff that comes in the box.

Not trying to discourage you, just the opposite. We want you to be successful and hooked on these conversions like we are!
Good luck! we're cheering for you!

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Thanks for the comments and encouragement guys!

A few bits arrived today.

Servos, Rx and the 109 kit. Makes me even keener to start.

After looking at the supplied balsa, I'm in agreement that I'll need to change it for competition grade if I'm going to get this one fly able. In the mean time tho, I'm going to build up the supplied parts to get my hand in and figure out a few things, like what stringers I can do without, control rod routing etc. As I said, the Bird dog will be the first one I'll build to fly, but would be interesting so see what the difference will be between a light std kit build and a full on lightened build.

Will keep you posted.
Last edited by BobSmoke; Sep 13, 2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Trying to embed a pic fail...and then win.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:19 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,917 Posts
Is that one a former on keel construction? If so make sure to trace the horizontal keels, they aren't shown on the plan. You can save a lot of weight cutting new parts. If the kit wood is the usual Guillows pine, you can take a dremel drum sanding disk to the formers and hog out the hole. Pay particular attention to the ones aft of the CG, lightening them as much as possible. If you consider the weight of every component during construction you can use the kit wood and still end up with a model that is light enough to fly well. I like to really concentrate on the fuse, it was designed to withstand the compression and torque of a wound rubber motor, something we don't have to worry about.
Save weight in the tail by making laminated tail surface outlines.
The one place I will add weight is the wing spar. Making an adequate, proper spar is something I have learned the hard way.
Glenn
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Thanks Glenn, Yep that's the one (Kit #505)

Yeah, I've spent *ahem* a 'few' hours reading through others Guillow builds and plan to implement many of the tips and tricks in my builds. Konrads laminated tail forms being one of them. Got a few tricks up my sleeve too, which I'll share in due course once I've tried them out and found they work. Hey, I'll share them even if they don't as a 'don't try this at home kids' type thing. I'm an engineer by profession and a lifelong tinkerer so experimenting is all part of the fun!

On that note, I'm just uploading a short vid I'd like to share...just as soon as I can figure out how to embed youtube video on a post....stay tuned

Cheers,
Bob.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Success!

Guillows ME-109 timelapse test (2 min 46 sec)

I'm planning on filming the entire Bird-dog build like this. This one is just a tester really...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:27 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,917 Posts
A few comments,
First you admit to being an engineer, that's too bad man. I'm one too.(EE)
I guess the need to tinker with these things is irresistible to us engineer types.

Second, I see you're left handed. Cool, me too, we're in our 'right' mind!

And lastly, I see you know your way around a die crunched kit. Sanding the back side of the sheets is an old trick.
You do that on your Bird dog and you will save some weight. If the wood is rock hard you can sand away about half the thickness and not lose much strength.

For inspiration, here's a couple of pics of my converted Guillows 109. I reduced the number of ribs and stringers and fully sheeted the model with 1/32.

Glenn
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:50 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,917 Posts
I heard from Konrad and he has invited you over to his thread at the Hip Pocket site. He has some good tips and insight into converting these free flight models to RC that you might be interested in.
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...c,12443.0.html

Glenn
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:24 AM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSmoke View Post
Success!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/KFZ9Iru2csM

I'm planning on filming the entire Bird-dog build like this. This one is just a tester really...
That's a great Idea! I'm looking forward to more of those timelapse vids.
chochmah is offline Find More Posts by chochmah
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blohm und Voss BV P.144
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
I heard from Konrad and he has invited you over to his thread at the Hip Pocket site. He has some good tips and insight into converting these free flight models to RC that you might be interested in.
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...c,12443.0.html

Glenn
Thanks Glenn. I stumbled across that thread during one of my recent internet trawls - really helpful stuff! Dunno if will join that forum, but having noticed Konrads account here is suspended, it's good to know he's still out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chochmah View Post
That's a great Idea! I'm looking forward to more of those timelapse vids.
Cheers chochmah. I'm always looking for new and interesting way to use my GoPro Yeah, should be interesting to see a week or so worth of effort compressed into a few minuites!

Got the rest of the ME-109 fuse finished up today. Pretty happy considering the 20 year hiatus...

sorry for the poor quality of the pic- iPhone isn't brilliant for this kind of stuff.

I'm going to put this on hold for now though, as happy days, the Bird dog kit arrived today!

Should get started on this tomorrow, so keep an eye out for my first build log! Woop!
Last edited by BobSmoke; Sep 13, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Started the build on the Bird dog today!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post22736613

Timelapsed it, but am going to hold off until it's done before uploading the vid.

Cheers
Bob.