HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
So grab a cheap electric motor (I apologize gas guys), some RC car gear, some hardware and get it running. You can always choose a more exotic power package later as time and funds allow.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
i would but i don't have an r/c car to take stuff from and to get any speed i kneed to get a good sized motor. the reason why i'm getting bored is because i bought a gas engine to make a motorcycle thing and it's sapping away all interest and funds.
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob
Last edited by builder bob; Dec 14, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
lol my interest change so fast, i like the boat again! i'm going to do some work on some plans and hopefully order the pipe soon. the biggest cylinder i can make would be 21/32", should i make them that big and make less or make them smaller and do 6-8 so that it can be self starting? i hope i don't loose interest in this again before i finish drawing stuff up for the engine . i'm going to try and draw it up in prodesktop.
Last edited by builder bob; Jan 15, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
how well would a large brushed drill motor work on my boat? i still have all the gears from the drill so i can gear it up or down.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
What diameter is the shaft?
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
the motor shaft? i think it's about a quarter inch
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:58 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
I've contacted expresscraft about the hardware kit that was posted on page 3. I think that it probably is a bad idea for me to machine an engine for this. I would have fun doing it and the engine would be really cool, but even if I made a simple 1 cylinder engine it just wouldn't run the way I want. so right now i'm back to wanting a gas engine again. i'll probably have changed my mind by the next week but here's the engine i'm looking at right now:http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=400
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:09 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
never mind, still doing air. think teflon piston and valves will work with centered (cintered?) bronze bushings work? if i can get plans done by the weekend a friend can cnc machine it for his final project. all i have to do is pay for the stock and i can have the engine. help on the design would help allot. i want a 1 inch bore 2 cylinder rotary valve air engine.
Last edited by builder bob; Jan 14, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:09 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
how good are the hard were kits that're on ebay? they're a lot cheeper and expresscraft hasn't responded yet. I hope I can finish the plans soon enough to get it cnc machined!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:20 PM
Hoffy1980
United States, IL, Maroa
Joined Jan 2013
61 Posts
I know a guy who made a steam engine and it worked with air also.I think the vibration would be really bad for a 1 cylinder.For the valve you couldnt find would it be possible to use something like a pipe with a solid shaft in it, then drill a hole through both, pipe would be solid on 1 end and have something to hook up to a servo to move the shaft in or out. It would take alittle time to experiment as to what size would work or be needed.If it was small enough it should reduce pressure. If you can do machine work you could also cap open end and o-ring it to stop leakage. also drill and tap hole on pipe to have in and out connections. You dont have to stop doing it , just get boat running now with whatever you decide, but keep working on the air motor for a later project. You may find help if you can find any steam engine plans. Good Luck and your boat looks great.
hoffy1980 is offline Find More Posts by hoffy1980
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:45 PM
Hoffy1980
United States, IL, Maroa
Joined Jan 2013
61 Posts
Just wondering if a starter off of a motorcycle would work? Dont know if it would run without over heating , maybe you could cool it??? Like I said before Good Luck.
hoffy1980 is offline Find More Posts by hoffy1980
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:53 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffy1980 View Post
I know a guy who made a steam engine and it worked with air also.I think the vibration would be really bad for a 1 cylinder.:
I think vibration would bee about the same if I weighted the crankshaft correctly.
Quote:
For the valve you couldnt find would it be possible to use something like a pipe with a solid shaft in it, then drill a hole through both, pipe would be solid on 1 end and have something to hook up to a servo to move the shaft in or out. It would take alittle time to experiment as to what size would work or be needed.If it was small enough it should reduce pressure. If you can do machine work you could also cap open end and o-ring it to stop leakage. also drill and tap hole on pipe to have in and out connections.
I tried something kind of like that after I made my first engine but it still leaked to much. I also did finally find all the valves I need.
Quote:
You dont have to stop doing it , just get boat running now with whatever you decide, but keep working on the air motor for a later project. You may find help if you can find any steam engine plans. Good Luck and your boat looks great.
ya i'm probly just going to get a gas engine for it cause a friend of mind is going to sell his full size boat and I want to beat it with this one before it's gone. i'm going to try and build an engine though, I can't get it cnc milled any more now though
Last edited by builder bob; Jan 28, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:13 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Just wondering if a starter off of a motorcycle would work? Dont know if it would run without over heating , maybe you could cool it??? Like I said before Good Luck.
that might work, I have no idea what kind of prop would have enough pitch for a starter motor though.
I found this engine on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Homelite-SX-...item27cf356c2a i'm probably am going to get it so that I have a working boat soon. if I don't like the performance I still could switch it to air or keep it gas and modify it
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:36 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,952 Posts
I've seen a 14-foot scale ship run with 2 power seat motors. It wasn't a speed demon but he didn't need it.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:01 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
that's a big boat! no one's bid on that engine I found yet and there's only a couple hours left so hopefully i'll hopefully be able to get it. still nothing back from expresscraft so i'm going to try and get more info on if they still have the hard where set that they mention on page 3 or something.