SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2014, 05:59 AM
Winter sucks
United States, NY, Elmira
Joined Nov 2013
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abieex View Post
After struggling to get this to fly better I decided to do some of the mods. Carbon on the fuse bottom, new clevises, decolage adjustment, vert stab reinforcement, and moved the cg to 3" for a starter. I'll do a power off glide test on Saturday morning. I'm also going to dial down the rates and add some expo. Pic 1 shows nose heavy at 3" so I added 6 grams of weight below tail skid. It was also nose heavy at 2.5". Wish me luck!http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/im...tor/attach.gif
I'm sure it'll fly good, but I would suggest gold-n-rods, or take your pick of any upgraded control rod/ housing combination upgrade (just make sure they are flexible) because the stock ones suck ASS.

After I installed the goldnrods the centering was great and it felt like a new (different) plane. It was every bit as good as I could have hoped for. Ball joints on rudder and elevator control horn too. Need clevis on one of the servos because of space limitations (you'll see what I mean when/ if you do the mod). Does wonders!!

BWX_ is offline Find More Posts by BWX_
Last edited by BWX_; Aug 23, 2014 at 06:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2014, 07:51 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abieex View Post
I'm not the best pilot but I love to learn from those that are. Any additional equip I may need other than my radian/transmitter? I have a better shot at Atlantic City.
The Soaring Circuits CAM is about $40. Here is a link. At the bottom of the page are a list of distributors where you can buy it.
http://www.soaringcircuits.com/

To attend this contest would be about a 7 hour drive for you. Now, that may seem a long way but I will be attending an Eastern Soaring League contest in September that I drive 7 hours to attend. My wife comes with me. That one will be flow from winches rather than electric launched. www.flyesl.org.

Why would I drive that far? Because it is fun. It is like a mini vacation weekend. The other pilots are friends. My wife has come to know many of the women and it is a little get away. I drive down on Friday and drive back Sunday. I could take an extra day and come back Monday if we wanted to stretch it out.

My club is the Long Island Silent Flyers - www.lisf.org
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Aug 23, 2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:55 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
The Soaring Circuits CAM is about $40. Here is a link. At the bottom of the page are a list of distributors where you can buy it.
http://www.soaringcircuits.com/

To attend this contest would be about a 7 hour drive for you. Now, that may seem a long way but I will be attending an Eastern Soaring League contest in September that I drive 7 hours to attend. My wife comes with me. That one will be flow from winches rather than electric launched. www.flyesl.org.

Why would I drive that far? Because it is fun. It is like a mini vacation weekend. The other pilots are friends. My wife has come to know many of the women and it is a little get away. I drive down on Friday and drive back Sunday. I could take an extra day and come back Monday if we wanted to stretch it out.

My club is the Long Island Silent Flyers - www.lisf.org
I will second the recommendation. I used to do the ESL circuit years back and they are a great group of guys. Wish I still had the practice time to compete. For a long time my goal was not winning, it was placing "not last". There is a core group of people that make long drives regularly to attend all the ESL contests
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:47 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
I go to enjoy myself, see people I like and to fly my best. Winning would be icing on the cake.

A Radian with a prop and battery change is all you need to come and play.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 23, 2014, 03:35 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
677 Posts
We also have a contest on Aug.30
Canadians, Americans and Radians are all welcome !
http://www.rcflightdeck.com/event_de...?event_id=3751
FabFlight is offline Find More Posts by FabFlight
Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:31 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
909 Posts
Just popped in to say hello and that.......I'M BA-A-A-A-A-A-ACK!
Maximilionalpha is online now Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Oct 28, 2014, 09:25 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
Just popped in to say hello and that.......I'M BA-A-A-A-A-A-ACK!
How's the Hang Gliding?
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Oct 28, 2014, 09:44 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gallagher View Post
How's the Hang Gliding?
Didn't work out as planned...There's been a lot of stuff going on, over the past 6 months that took me and my family to rock bottom and now I've got to get back up on my feet again. I'm still dreaming of doing it(hang gliding), but right now I've got to work on building up my finances and finding a new home and vehicle for my family. It's all such a long story.....but anywho!
Maximilionalpha is online now Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Oct 29, 2014, 04:02 AM
This thing runs real nice...
Joined Jun 2012
285 Posts
Hey welcome back Max.
Nam Lemmi is offline Find More Posts by Nam Lemmi
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:51 AM
Jersey Shore
Joined Jul 2006
40 Posts
Hey Gang,

Just got a regular Radian, and I'm gonna order a separate replacement wing set so that I can build a wing with Flaperons like Mr. Naton recommended in his Radian Mod video...Few quick questions...

Where should I look for the "slot tape" that he was using to cover the gap over the newly made Flaps on his modified wing?
Also, what is a good source for lightweight CA hinges to use for the Rudder and Elevator?
I'm coming to Sailplanes from RC Helis, and I'm trying to learn/catch up as quickly as possible...

Thanks!
Franz in NJ
VonRecktofen is offline Find More Posts by VonRecktofen
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:12 AM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
726 Posts
Franz:
I use 3M Blendem tape on my hinges to cover gaps and to hinge with. I get mine from the pharmacy as it is a medical tape. I am not sure what Paul uses for "slot tape"? I use a similar thin Ca hinge material shown here. They have both at this site.
http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Hinges-226
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:58 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Jul 2006
40 Posts
Hey Gary
Thanks for the link....
Looks like what i need!
Thanks again
Franz in NJ