HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:10 AM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,584 Posts
Haha, you noticed that huh? Just a little over zealous sanding on the elevator I guess.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that. Stay with me on this thread, I'll need some expert building advice.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:41 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
Skyline, The GP .40 Cub came out in around 1993/94. It has been a very popular kit for them. The only thing about this kit that is sub-par, is the landing gear. Mine came with a single wire which is no where near strong enough. I used my wire bender to make up a proper scale set which solved the problem. The gear has got to have the rear brace to be strong enough. You can also get the really scale bungee gear made just for this model from several aftermarket vendors.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:02 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,584 Posts
Aftermarket vendors sell a scale landing gear kit specifically for this 40 size cub?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:59 AM
Joined Jun 2007
482 Posts
I built one 5 years ago, i love flying it but it can be tricky in a crosswind and turns take a bit of practice although for me this adds to the planes appeal
Flybys can be incredibly slow but be careful when it does stall
Mine uses a 65 four stroke but a 4 cell setup drawing around 50 amps would be ample. I retrofitted separate aileron servos after being dissapointed with the single aileron setup, if i lost mine i would buy another identical kit straight away.
Good luck with the build
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:23 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna build this electric. Not sure on the motor yet. Probably just use a EFlite Power 46.

Did you build your wing with the recommended 1 servo for the ailerons? I'm thinking about just adding two servos, one in each half of the wing. I've never been a fan of the 1 servo for both aileron thing.
Skyline, I have the same kit. Power 46 and a 4C 4200 and it flies great. Floats around for 12 minutes, or WOT takeoff in 8 feet.
If I were to rebuild it, I'd do dual aileron servos.
TomM is online now Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wood shavings
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:48 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Skyline, I have the same kit. Power 46 and a 4C 4200 and it flies great. Floats around for 12 minutes, or WOT takeoff in 8 feet.
If I were to rebuild it, I'd do dual aileron servos.
Tom, where did you put the battery? Did you create an access panel on the bottom and but it behind the firewall? Very interested in any more information you could possible give. Even pics would be great.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:49 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert the bear View Post
I built one 5 years ago, i love flying it but it can be tricky in a crosswind and turns take a bit of practice although for me this adds to the planes appeal
Flybys can be incredibly slow but be careful when it does stall
Mine uses a 65 four stroke but a 4 cell setup drawing around 50 amps would be ample. I retrofitted separate aileron servos after being dissapointed with the single aileron setup, if i lost mine i would buy another identical kit straight away.
Good luck with the build
Thanks RTB! Got any pics of your model?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Jun 2007
482 Posts
Here are a few pics, i covered it with fabric and painted the cowl etc with 2 pack automotive paint matched to a sample of the covering, of course being electric you won't need to use fuel proof paint
I just went into the shed and weighed it 8lb 2.3oz 3695 grams
When i built it i made no attempt to lose weight anywhere, it was the first kit i ever built, consequently the next one would come out better
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Tom, where did you put the battery? Did you create an access panel on the bottom and but it behind the firewall? Very interested in any more information you could possible give. Even pics would be great.
I flew it one season with nitro then i converted it over. Battery went where the fuel tank was. I just glued a balsa/velcro platform in the bottom of fuse, elevated about o.5" high. About 2/3 of the battery was ahead of the dashboard/ F2, the rest is in the cabin area. I just left the windows out of one side and can get the battery in and out. The motor mount is a simple plywood box with blind nuts that extends 1.25" beyond the factory firewall. You can also use long aluminum tubing standoffs I also drilled and dremeled a couple large holes in the firewall for ESC cooling.
TomM is online now Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wood shavings
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:53 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert the bear View Post
Here are a few pics, i covered it with fabric and painted the cowl etc with 2 pack automotive paint matched to a sample of the covering, of course being electric you won't need to use fuel proof paint
I just went into the shed and weighed it 8lb 2.3oz 3695 grams
When i built it i made no attempt to lose weight anywhere, it was the first kit i ever built, consequently the next one would come out better
Beautiful JOB!!!!!!! Man that looks good in the air. What tires/rims did you end up using?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:57 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
I flew it one season with nitro then i converted it over. Battery went where the fuel tank was. I just glued a balsa/velcro platform in the bottom of fuse, elevated about o.5" high. About 2/3 of the battery was ahead of the dashboard/ F2, the rest is in the cabin area. I just left the windows out of one side and can get the battery in and out. The motor mount is a simple plywood box with blind nuts that extends 1.25" beyond the factory firewall. You can also use long aluminum tubing standoffs I also drilled and dremeled a couple large holes in the firewall for ESC cooling.

Yeah, I'll use the stand off tube method. I use it on all my planes. Lowe's has some awesome nylon spacers that are STRONG!

You must have very good dexterity. I don't see how getting that battery plugged in and positioned through one of those windows would be possible for me. I'd end up breaking balsa if I tried that.

Do you have any pics to share?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Jun 2007
482 Posts
Quote:
Beautiful JOB!!!!!!! Man that looks good in the air. What tires/rims did you end up using?
Thanks I used DU BRO Cub wheels (from tower hobbies) they look cool but are quite heavy being rubber. That would be one of the areas that you could save a bit of weight, but then again it has enough wing area to carry a bit of extra weight
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:48 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,584 Posts
Wing Halves Joined

I'm almost to the point of joining the wing halves. So far all my cuts look good. Could be better, but I'm happy. These photos will just show how they look test fitted together.

Last edited by SkylineFlyer; Jan 30, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,759 Posts
Nice work!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:37 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
I started a Sig 1/6 scale 72" w/s Cub in the 60's, I'll finish in near future as an electric but with an old geared Astro 25 and two 2200mah lipos in series.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged