HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:49 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
Discussion
1/5 hor

Hey guy's i have been playing around & modded this toy 1/5 HOR, after modding my silverlits & loving them i had to have a go at one of these for a bit of fun, the footage is crappy as my hat cam needs adjusting & the camera was zoomed in a bit which resulted in filming more car park than bike but it gives you some idea how it goes.

I have replaced the hard spring suspension with adjustable shocks front & rear it has direct steering with HOR i fixed the forks so they no longer lean, the servo is a 9.6kg hitech i replaced the stock brushed 380 sized motor & esc with a novak mongoose 9000kv 380 pro sensored BL combo, i still have to make some better crash bars & make some adjustments.

Im happy with how it goes but the tyres are crap & have no traction as soon as i punch the throttle it just spins the tyre like crazy & i can't even apply a little throttle while turning the rear end just slides out & there is no traction for braking either.

Im hoping i can get a set of name brand tyres to fit, the rear rim is 90mm & the front is 84mm does any one know of a set of 1/5 tyres that would fit i seen a cheap set on ebay gp5vh they look like they would fit but i don't know the dimensions.

Cheers.

Modified 1-5 RC Motorcycle.mp4 (4 min 57 sec)
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:03 AM
Nancy, in France
Joined Sep 2008
252 Posts
Very realist in the curves, nice
Now you just have to do a good video on a track
lalain is offline Find More Posts by lalain
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:38 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
I think i can get it to go well around a track but i need more traction are all 1/5 rims a standard size i need to find some better tyres/tires to fit.

And i want to weight the rear wheel the same as the front is, how do you guy's add weight to wheels.

Cheers.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:23 AM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
I think i can get it to go well around a track but i need more traction are all 1/5 rims a standard size i need to find some better tyres/tires to fit.

And i want to weight the rear wheel the same as the front is, how do you guy's add weight to wheels.

Cheers.
I think if your tires are not glued you can wrap solder around the center inside of the rim and if their glued you can add small lead weights on the outside of the rim. nice work on the bike, whats the temp. there? sounds like it was windy too but really not bad at all for what you got there im impressed
dragbikebam is offline Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Last edited by dragbikebam; Jan 22, 2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:47 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragbikebam View Post
I think if your tires are not glued you can wrap solder around the center inside of the rim and if their glued you can add small lead weights on the outside of the rim. nice work on the bike, whats the temp. there? sounds like it was windy too but really not bad at all for what you got there im impressed
Thanks dbb, the tires were glued but luckily i got them apart, i will use solder i have a roll of that.

You have 1/5 bikes do you know the rim diameters? im trying to find a better set of tires to fit my rims, all the ones i have looked at don't give measurements.

The temp here is not to bad we are in the middle of summer but it has been a very wet one but humid also.

Cheers m8
Last edited by Throttlejunkie; Jan 22, 2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:24 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
I got some cheap 1/5 slicks off one of those TTN clones & WW what a difference it makes with a set of real rubber tyres, it no longer slides out in the turns & it does wheelies
I also weighted the rear wheel to be the same as the front & i am still playing with the steering i slackened off on the springs so the rider moves before the forks to get more rider action & the steering is still very direct i may slacken off the springs even more.
It also starts very easy from the crash bars with the added traction & rear wheel weight but i still have to make a better set of crash bars but undecided whether to go wheel crash bar style or nylon rod style, then i will get it down the track.

Cheers.

Modified 1-5 RC HOR Motorcycle Doing Wheelies Test Run 2.mp4 (7 min 19 sec)
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
great work mate just goes to show what can be done with the bikes most people would not look twice at
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:01 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deen247 View Post
great work mate just goes to show what can be done with the bikes most people would not look twice at
Thanks Deen, yeah most people probably see it as cheap crap, to me it's just a giant silverlit or kyosho HOR & i enjoy modding them as much as using them & i am very impressed with how it goes it's very stable & i love the wheelies
It's all plastic but it seems to be able to take a beating i have had a few good spills & nothing has broken, it's just a fun cheap basher that works well & it's a HOR the 1/8 kyosho is next on my to mod list.

Cheers mate.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,308 Posts
You did an excellent job on that bike.
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:51 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,871 Posts
I love this sort of thing, its just having fun, great job !!

Hmm, what bike is this :-)
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:44 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
Thanks guy's,

Its a winyea bike i think it's the same as a nikko 1/5, but the winyea only comes in one body style but different colors the nikko bikes do honda, suzuki kawasaki, & ducati but were more expensive so i went with the winyea to see how it works, if it wasn't a HOR i probably would not have bothered but i am glad i did it works great, the only thing i was concerned about is it's gear driven through the swing arm but it seems to be handling 2S without a problem, maybe i should throw a 3S in & really put it to the test.

Hey swheels after seeing your adjustable shock mod for the forks i used a set of micro alloy adjustable shocks that fit directly in the fork tubes thanks for the idea

Here are some pics.

Cheers.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:05 AM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
hey throttlejunkie looking forward to when you get round to modding the 1/8 kyosho i got 2 in bits that i keep meaning to put back together
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:44 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
Yeah m8 i am going to get a couple of the 1/8 HOR's as well 1 to mod & 1 to build stock, i would like to get a suzuki & a honda but not sure of the availability of both, i will have start looking around to see what i can find, im keen to get one in my hands & see what we can do with it but i also have 2 more of these winyea 1/5 bikes to build for a couple of mates so i am going to be busy but it's all good fun.

Cheers.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:31 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,828 Posts
Good stuff, Throttlejunkie. The slow motion replay of the crash in the first video made me laugh.

It's good to know they're tougher than I thought. Since one of mine arrived with shattered front forks, I just assumed they were really fragile. I'm going to carry on with my plan to build new ones with aluminium tubing anyway. The outside diameter of the fork legs is about 9/32" - closer to 7.3mm than 7mm - so i got some of that and the smaller sizes that fit inside it, because it's very thin.

My ultimate goal is to have independant HOR and direct steering, using one thumb for each like flying a 4CH plane. I guess i could get really ambitious and even add the elevator channel - put the rider on a stick that you can move to make him stand up more.

It's just a dream at the moment though. I'll settle for putting 2CH R/C gear in for a start.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:43 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
Yeah i like the crashes in slow mo they look real sometimes just need the rider to fly off as well

I would like to see your forks when you have them done, i am just making new crash bars for mine now to get more lean angle im using nylon rod & nylon wheels with bearings.

You will need better tires though as the stock ones are synthetic rubber & have no grip but the good thing is there is a lot of 1/5 bikes & parts out there that could be used for these, i got a set of tires off one of those ttn knock offs they were cheap & have a lot more grip i just had to trim the bead edge to suit the tire & they fit.

Cheers.