SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:13 PM
SDF
Joined Sep 2002
272 Posts
Discussion
M-1 Design and Build

Hey, everyone. I am new to this tank forum. I am usually lurking in the ducted fan forums, but these tanks have caught my interest. I have used Google SketchUp to design many airplane models, but thought I'd give a tank a try. I have chosen to model the M-1. I wanted to do it in 1/6 scale, but after looking and seeing the size of those monsters, I have chosen 1/8 scale. This puts the size legally into the rules I found on rctankcombat.com. The beauty of CAD is that the size can be changed with a couple mouse clicks should I choose to go larger.

I'm trying not to be too ambitious with this first project. If I get a rolling and steerable chasis to start with, I will be pleased. The hull will be constructed of 1/2" plywood. To save weight, the turret will be made using the fiberglass/lost foam technique with an integrated bottom plywood plate to mount the marker and rotating mechanism. It will be laid up with several layers of 7.8 oz cloth that I have on hand. Four or five layers ought to do it if properly laid with the cloth bias in mind.

The suspension consists of 1/2" bolts going through 1/2 aluminum swing arms. Another bolt goes through the hull sides onto another aluminum arm that will somehow be connected to a spring mounted to ply runners inside the hull. I thought about the spring-in-groove solution that many people have used, but I think rock and other debris can get into the spring and cause trouble since these mechanics are external. I want all of my parts inside.

I have yet to design the rest of the internals because I am not versed well on drive trains. I have looked over many many pages and can't decide what to do. I need suggestions for controllers and motors. I have seen the Sabertooth 25A controller and am leaning towards that. Please feel free to offer any tips and suggestions.

The tracks have not been designed either. I am planning to use a treadmill belt. Any reason I shouldn't? When I decide on that, I will be able to design the cog and the rest of the running gear.

As I've indicated, I am a total noob so any advice and criticism is more than welcomed.
FOShowNoClass is offline Find More Posts by FOShowNoClass
Last edited by FOShowNoClass; Sep 30, 2011 at 03:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:53 AM
SDF
Joined Sep 2002
272 Posts
Hey, guys. I am finalizing the design to send to my CNC machine. I am trying to decide on motors. I am going to run a 1/2" shaft to my cogs. What motors would you advise using for my setup? Seems as EV Warrior motors are getting hard to find and I want something that is still in production. What speed controller would you use? Thanks.

Will
FOShowNoClass is offline Find More Posts by FOShowNoClass
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2008
113 Posts
Will,

Don't reinvent the wheel. 1/8 Abrams exist, and so do parts. Kenny Kong has been doing 1/8 scale for some time (he uses aluminum to build them). He also sells parts and accessories. He's a great guy. His website is here.

Here's a couple of places, here and here, that sell parts for 1/8 or 1/6 scale tanks to give you some ideas about the electronics and drivetrains useable on them.

I would recommend investigating some 1/6 or 1/8 clubs as well. Southwest Armor Group and Bay Area Tankers are a few that I know of.

Jeff.
jeff489 is offline Find More Posts by jeff489
Last edited by jeff489; Feb 21, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:15 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,625 Posts
Here's a good resource for what you are planning to do: http://www.rctankcombat.com/tanks
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill