HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2003, 04:04 PM
Australia, NSW, Tennyson
Joined Apr 2000
51 Posts
Help - Bird of Prey motor mount

I fixed the motor mount of my bop flush with the wing. The instruction say nothing about setting it back "Install the motor mount on the back end of the plane on the bottom of the wing". I have only built a zagi previouslyand so assumed the motor would fit the same (flush with rear of plane and infront of ailerons.
My instructions had no diagrams or pics to follow.

As a result the MM is now glued (epoxy), fibre taped and covered and so will require wrecking the plane to get the MM off and fit it correctly. This means cog will be affected.

Any suggestions on what to do - Has anyone else done this also, or Am I the only thickhead to do so???

Bob.
Bojulabah is offline Find More Posts by Bojulabah
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2003, 04:19 PM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
I have a BOP but it's not clear to me how you mounted the MM...
Did you cut off the triangle shaped end wher both wings meet at the end or not?

Peter
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr
Old Sep 15, 2003, 05:22 PM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
Bob,

I have sent instructions on how to fix the misplaced motor mount in a return e-mail to the one that I received from you last night.

If following the instructions included in the kit, you would have installed the precut and sanded elevons in their proper position before installing the motor mount. This would cause the motor mount to need to be placed in a position that would allow the prop to be behind the elevons. The order of the assembly instructions prevents misplacement when followed. Since you have used epoxy to attach the mount, you should be able to cut the covering with a sharp knife along the edge of the mount and "POP" the mount free from the epoxy. Epoxy does not tend to stick to aluminum very well. Reposition the mount so that the prop will be behind the elevons and re-glue, tape, and cover the mount.

Justin
birdofprey is offline Find More Posts by birdofprey
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:30 PM
Napoleon, Ohio
Joined Dec 1996
727 Posts
I did the same thing with mine. Fortunately, with the 1700 packs the CG came out just fine.

Keep 'em hummin'

Ray
Ray Lowinski is offline Find More Posts by Ray Lowinski
Old Sep 17, 2003, 01:51 AM
Australia, NSW, Tennyson
Joined Apr 2000
51 Posts
Justin,
Thanks for the e-mail - followed your advise and cut tape and the mm came away from epoxy easily (I'll never rely on an epoxy / aluminium bond in the future). I still think the instructions are alittle confusing for a novice builder and some pics or more diagrams in the instructions would be a big help. Never-the-less I am pleased with the quality of the kit and thank your your prompt and helpful reply, Reghards, Bob.P.
Bojulabah is offline Find More Posts by Bojulabah
Old Sep 17, 2003, 06:40 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Bob P, after you get the BOP up in the air, you will forget all about the mount. It looks really cool in the air!!!! Plus the dang thing flies pretty nice. Since I'm using a wattage cobalt motor, I couldn't use the aluminum mount. I had some hard plastic "L" shaped pieces and used it instead. My mount is only fiber taped to the wing and after 25 to 30 flights, it hasn't moved a mm yet!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit