HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2014, 01:15 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,615 Posts
I do!

I have some wood airfoils, landing gear mounts and fuselage formers I need cut. We chatted before about Sketchup, I will work on some files to get to you. I was thinking about having the wood cut sometime after Christmas? My time frame is flexible of course.

I am ready to put in an order of plywood for some things I need to do. As far as parts go, if I specify what wood thickness I need, do you have the ability to easily source plywood or would you like me to physically hand over the wood I can order, in this order I'll otherwise be making tomorrow?
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2014, 01:55 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiks View Post
Eddie, thanks for the info and tips. I will take a look over on RCuniverse. But I have to ask..based on the model and setup you suggested... what kind of cost would I be looking at?

From the few sites and classified ads it looks like ill be looking at about $4500 to $7500...
A KingTech K80G engine has about 8kg thrust (19 pounds) and costs abut $1900 new. http://www.kingtechturbines.com/stor...roducts_id=131
Needs 2s lipo battery (to run the engine control unit and fuel pump), fuel tank, fuel lines, fittings and UAT (special lined header tank to eliminate air bubbles) to install and use. Can run on deisel. All fuel needs to be mixed 5% with turbine oil or other specifically approved synthetic lubricant. 5 gallons of kerosene will run you $15 at the pump and a quart of jet lube to mix in will run you about $10. So a 5 gallon jug of mixed fuel will run you $25.

You may burn "about" 70 ounces of fuel per flight assuming a 9 minute run (7 minute airborne flight plus start up, wait for slot to open on runway, taxi, takeoff, and then after landing taxi back, idle and shut down). A gallon of kerosene is about 6.7 pounds. 5 Gallson of kero is 33.5 pounds plus 2 pounds of oil mixed in so you have 35.5 pounds of fuel in a 5 gallon "fueler". That works out to about 568 ounces of mixed fuel, or 7.5 flights. This means each flight will cost you about $3.33. This is an estimate: I know guys on this size of an engine that get 10 or 12 flights per "5 gallon jug" because they don't fly full throttle as much and may land just a tad before the timer or don't idle for ever if they fly at a less busy strip. Those guys pay about $2-$2.50 per flight in fuel.

BTW figure $100 for your "fuel jug" and buy a 5 gallon jug with electric pump ready to go unless you want to build your own. Dedicate it to jet fuel and keep it super clean.

For an average 70 ounce burn you want at least an 80+ ounce capacity in your tanks (not including UAT). I have a 90 ounce capacity in my 80N engine jet and I typically land with 20 ounces left, sometimes less if I'm flying hard. I sometimes take off with a specifically known "less than full" fuel level for lighter weight flights that I know will not be airborne as long but my plane is a scale fighter with a small wing. If I had room and I was flying a sport/trainer with a big wing I'd put in 100 ounces of tank and have a lot longer flight times

Airframe:

Check the latest on RCU. I know the Boomerang is temporarily not being made. But there are other "trainer" airframes that are cheap and easy to get into. Typically assume (for a basic intro type) from about 550-1000 for the airframe, 500 for the gear and brakes on a simple setup, and 400 for the servos. Not to mention pipe if it's an internal engine and accessories. All told you'd be into it for about 2500 for some used equipment to 4000 for new and nice. It can get expensive. But it can be as cheap as you can make too. PS I would not buy a used turbine engine, buy new for your first jet so you have full support in case anything get's complicated.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...nator-arf.html
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...necessary.html
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ner-build.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2014, 02:03 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
United States, NV, Silver Springs
Joined Mar 2007
1,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
I do!

I have some wood airfoils, landing gear mounts and fuselage formers I need cut. We chatted before about Sketchup, I will work on some files to get to you. I was thinking about having the wood cut sometime after Christmas? My time frame is flexible of course.

I am ready to put in an order of plywood for some things I need to do. As far as parts go, if I specify what wood thickness I need, do you have the ability to easily source plywood or would you like me to physically hand over the wood I can order, in this order I'll otherwise be making tomorrow?
Eddie, I usually have two different types of plywood in stock. First is a 5mm plywood from Home Depot (used for cabinet drawer bottoms) which is very hardy. This is what my quadcopter frames are made of. Second is a Baltic Birch 1/8" I get from Mastercraft (Sparks, Linda Way). If you have something specific you want, you can buy it or I can get it.

I also have a small pile of balsa in various thicknesses and some small plywood sheets from Midwest/Great Planes. So before you buy, let me know your specification requirements and I will see what I have here.

quickest way to contact me is via johnorama@gmail
johnorama is offline Find More Posts by johnorama
Old Dec 04, 2014, 02:33 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,615 Posts
Will do John, thanks again. In essence I need:

-1/8 inch plywood false ribs to house wing tubes in a foam core wing (possible lightening holes in some areas). 12 false ribs in all for the 3 piece wing. Also extra 1/8" ply for doublers in certain areas and more 1/8 ply for some landing gear flex plate material and structure for the nose gear mounts. For use as servo mounts and servo covers on wings. Also some structure areas like the rudder keel and some support area bulkheads with lightening holes. I will need a fair amount of this and I guess I can come up with a part layout sheet to be laser cut. What are the sizes of wood sheets you use? I can work off that in my design.
-5mm would be fine for landing gear rail mounts and spars in certain areas
-5mm ply for the engine pylon structure with lightening holes

I was planning on ordering that wood but will see if you can use your supply for simplicity.

The other wood I plan to order tomorrow from Specialized Balsa is the following:

1) 1/64" ply sheet for flight controls (gap seal) and spoiler lamination. Was going to order two 12X24 sheets.
2) 1/16" ply sheet for fuselage buttresses (I have a 3 piece fuselage for the 141" long DC-8 I am building and need buttress bulkheads at the seams of the major fuse pieces). Was going to order three 12x24 sheets for these parts plus other locations such as servo bay reinforcers (I have "about" 20 servos from spoilers and gear doors to flight controls, multi panel fowler flaps and nose steering.
3) 1/32" ply as doubler ply on some light weight balsa formers I've made. Ordering two 12x24" sheets
4) Multiple hard wood "sticks" such as 1/8 by 1/4 inch, 1/8 by 3/16, 1/4 by 1/4, 1/4 by 3/16.
5) Multiple soft balsa "sticks" such as 1/4 by 1/4

Let me know if you think the first batch of ply that we can use as sheet wood to laser cut parts from can be sourced by you. The ribs are about 18" long by about 4" thick at the widest parts and the keels are 24 inches long in some areas for the 1/8" stuff. The 5mm stuff is not as large.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eddie P; Dec 04, 2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2014, 04:46 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
Will do John, thanks again. In essence I need:

-1/8 inch plywood false ribs to house wing tubes in a foam core wing (possible lightening holes in some areas). 12 false ribs in all for the 3 piece wing. Also extra 1/8" ply for doublers in certain areas and more 1/8 ply for some landing gear flex plate material and structure for the nose gear mounts. For use as servo mounts and servo covers on wings. Also some structure areas like the rudder keel and some support area bulkheads with lightening holes. I will need a fair amount of this and I guess I can come up with a part layout sheet to be laser cut. What are the sizes of wood sheets you use? I can work off that in my design.
-5mm would be fine for landing gear rail mounts and spars in certain areas
-5mm ply for the engine pylon structure with lightening holes

I was planning on ordering that wood but will see if you can use your supply for simplicity. I have 6 sheets of 30x40x1/8"

The other wood I plan to order tomorrow from Specialized Balsa is the following:

1) 1/64" ply sheet for flight controls (gap seal) and spoiler lamination. Was going to order two 12X24 sheets. Do not have
2) 1/16" ply sheet for fuselage buttresses (I have a 3 piece fuselage for the 141" long DC-8 I am building and need buttress bulkheads at the seams of the major fuse pieces). Was going to order three 12x24 sheets for these parts plus other locations such as servo bay reinforcers (I have "about" 20 servos from spoilers and gear doors to flight controls, multi panel fowler flaps and nose steering. Do not have
3) 1/32" ply as doubler ply on some light weight balsa formers I've made. Ordering two 12x24" sheets I have three sheets of 6x12 from Revell
4) Multiple hard wood "sticks" such as 1/8 by 1/4 inch, 1/8 by 3/16, 1/4 by 1/4, 1/4 by 3/16. Do not have
5) Multiple soft balsa "sticks" such as 1/4 by 1/4 Do not have

Let me know if you think the first batch of ply that we can use as sheet wood to laser cut parts from can be sourced by you. The ribs are about 18" long by about 4" thick at the widest parts and the keels are 24 inches long in some areas for the 1/8" stuff. The 5mm stuff is not as large.
Probably easiest, cheapest and best if you order what you need above what I have to ensure you get what you want.
Old Dec 06, 2014, 09:59 AM
Lil Brad
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
Flying Sunday Dec. 7

Anybody up for flying tomorrow, The day Japan attached Pearl Harbor?

On Sunday even
bsnedek is offline Find More Posts by bsnedek
Old Dec 06, 2014, 09:09 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Feb 2011
244 Posts
Tiger Sunday

I'm heading out when it warms up a bit, around 9:00?????
amjet is offline Find More Posts by amjet
Old Dec 06, 2014, 09:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Me also...... Need to remaiden the nasty spit
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Dec 06, 2014, 10:32 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,971 Posts
I'll be there.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 02:11 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,971 Posts
weather looking cold tomorrow. Not going to break 40 degrees until noon. I think I will stay home. If anyone wants to come out to my shop and play with my laser cutting equipment instead of flying, let me know.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 08:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
I'll try for 9am at the field. If to cold then maybe expect a visit
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Dec 18, 2014, 01:21 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,971 Posts
I am going to put in an order to rcfoam.com for some Depron. does anybody want any faom? shipping is high for these large packages so it is best to team up and order together.