HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:27 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,285 Posts
Hey Tom great thread.W/o reading 350 pages.I want to buy one of these.1) whats the best one ? 2) Who sells it ? thanks
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:30 PM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
With the same firmware installed, the only thing that could affect the video quality is the CMOS/lens module. Can you tell if it is the same or different from the curreny v2/3 version of the smaller #11 (the ribbon cable should have a number on it, and the traces might also tell.
Frank
don't my pics ( previous post) show ? it seems a different PCB with Novatek NT96632BG chip
I'm kinda reluctant to unscrew the pcb , i may have re-alignment issues with the clickable controls and with the battery , it is ALIVE.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JumpySticks
what does this Jumbo firmware do ? is it a new one or the original ?
Ancient1 is offline Find More Posts by Ancient1
Last edited by Ancient1; Jul 06, 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:32 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon View Post
Hey Tom great thread.W/o reading 350 pages.I want to buy one of these.1) whats the best one ? 2) Who sells it ? thanks
Post #2 gives sellers and models.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:33 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,285 Posts
thanks
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:46 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Frank
don't my pics ( previous post) show ? it seems a different PCB with Novatek NT96632BG chip
I'm kinda reluctant to unscrew the pcb , i may have re-alignment issues with the clickable controls and with the battery , it is ALIVE.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JumpySticks
what does this Jumbo firmware do ? is it a new one or the original ?
Yes, we know the circuitboard is different shape and component layout, but the video processor is identical, and so is the firmware. See the FAQs in post #3 for the firmware functions/downloads... there are three versions available right now. I edited my earlier post about the CMOS module. The ribbon cable appears to be the same, and different at the same time, as the smaller v2/3 #11.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:41 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Verified that the firmware upgrade for the jumbo keycam allows for a little over 4mb of continuous filming. about an hour and 20 minutes. Then it stops and does not restart.

I'm happy with that for now. Don't think I have the endurance for a thermal duration flight longer than that. Still don't know the full capacity of the battery.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:00 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Will wait for your info. I was planning to open the card holder cover... i think possible by de-soldering a tab or two and prying it open. I've got a dead No. 3 I can experiment on first if I decide to do it... maybe can even desolder the whole card holder and replace it!
Tom,
I sacrificed a couple old / broke No 3's to get at the latch assy inside.. It will clearly be a challenge getting inside the case of the reader to work on the latch itself.. yes there is a real spring inside that could easily be removed.. problem is if you google microSD latch and select images you'll see there are dozens of different manufacturers so what you see here in these No 3's may not be what's in the No 11's now.

by the way there is a little u shaped piece shown that came out of one of them but I couldn't find it in the other.. desoldering it with the right tools is possible but getting the right desoldering tool likely is as costly as a new cam.. Good Luck Hope this helped.. BTW this was shot with a $32 USB microscope cam from Deal Extreme
microSD Latch (1 min 1 sec)
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:21 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Tom,
Not sure if this has been discussed, but could a manufacturer extend the connection between the sensor unit and the other hardware, or does the sensor have to be close to the processor? The sensor assembly is so small and light that you could mount it in the vertical stab if you could stow the rest of the equipment in the cockpit. Multiple sensors....bloggie 360 views.....rudder cam......the mind races. Some entrepeneur will surely find a way.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:45 AM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
2W5 landing

2W5 landing (1 min 2 sec)
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:45 AM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Tom,
Not sure if this has been discussed, but could a manufacturer extend the connection between the sensor unit and the other hardware, or does the sensor have to be close to the processor? The sensor assembly is so small and light that you could mount it in the vertical stab if you could stow the rest of the equipment in the cockpit. Multiple sensors....bloggie 360 views.....rudder cam......the mind races. Some entrepeneur will surely find a way.
Kipkay used a similar camera but lower resolution (#3 I think; didn't watch the video again). He put wires between camera module and circuit board:

http://kipkay.com/featured/sneaky-snake-spy-cam/

So a manufacturer also could do it with that camera, perhaps also with #11
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Old Jul 07, 2011, 01:31 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Tom,
The subject came up briefly here, and some one actually did add a short extension to the CMOS module on the similar size old 808 camera. There's more info in that "Mega Key Chain" camera thread on it. But I don't know what the limit is on the cable length. If I were going to attempt an extension, I'd try to locate a ribbon cable socket header that could be soldered to the circuit board and accept the CMOS ribbon cable just inseerted into the header slot. It could be secured with a couple dabs of hot glue. Ditto for the other end to accept the existing CMOS ribbon. Much easier than trying to solder 24 individual tiny wires close together without any solder bridging.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 01:33 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Tom,
I sacrificed a couple old / broke No 3's to get at the latch assy inside.. It will clearly be a challenge getting inside the case of the reader to work on the latch itself.. yes there is a real spring inside that could easily be removed.. problem is if you google microSD latch and select images you'll see there are dozens of different manufacturers so what you see here in these No 3's may not be what's in the No 11's now.

by the way there is a little u shaped piece shown that came out of one of them but I couldn't find it in the other.. desoldering it with the right tools is possible but getting the right desoldering tool likely is as costly as a new cam.. Good Luck Hope this helped.. BTW this was shot with a $32 USB microscope cam from Deal Extreme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5EF9fYgbY0&feature=youtube_gdata
Thanks, Jim... very helpful. I have two bricked #3's... one still works as a flash drive, but the other is totally dead, so it would be a good surgery candidate!
Old Jul 07, 2011, 01:37 AM
Poland
Joined Jul 2011
126 Posts
Hi everyone!

Yesterday I've got my #11. At the begining I thought it was broken, as it didn't record any video nor shot any pics. However my 8GB SDHC Class4 card was working OK in PC-mode. My card was taken from Nokia 5800 XM, probably factory formatted by Nokia. Reformatting under Windows (Quick Format) had no effect. Later I tried an old 2gb card, and... whoa! It worked! So I knew it's not the keychain problem, ufff...

Then I tried SD Formatter. It formatted my card and now everything works!

I think it is a good idea to add this info to FAQ, because I couldn't find the solution here.
acc007 is offline Find More Posts by acc007
Old Jul 07, 2011, 02:03 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
It Works - Recover badly corrupted #11 files!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Hey Tom, I was able to repair your file, but not 100%. The video is fine, but the sound stops about a minute in. There's 4 minutes, 29 seconds of video. Here's a thumbnail:

I had the repaired file about 3/4 of the way uploaded when I rebooted my router. Stupid stupid stupid, I forgot about the upload... lol I've got limited upload speed here (256Kbps) so I'll have to resort to sending you a PM with the exact steps I used to repair it and you can repair it on your end. It may be nice to have for next time too... lol
In follow up to this, I have also successfully repaired my horribly corrupted #11 MOV file (flash card popped partly out while recording)! Here is a link to the software that performed the magic! The file showed up normally with an icon and long file length on the flash memory card, but would not play, and several players/editors would not load it, but I knew there was a lot of video on the card, and this software was the only one found (thanks Keith!) that attemps to reconstruct a damage mov file format.

The software is not free, but you can download a trial demo version that will convert just the first half of a corrupted file (which might trigger some thoughts for full recovery). The instructions for use are on the web page... be sure to follow them, because the user interface is not laid out very intuitively.

The software is pretty pricey... geared for saving critical and important .MOV/.MP4 files, I guess.... not our hobby clips. But so far it has no competition on Windows platforms... works on XP through W7(64) OS.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 07, 2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 02:09 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Here's a combo ground/air video of a flight I made a couple days ago... nothing too special, but the first AV I've done with my #11 since I re-focused it and flashed in the latest Rel2 continuous firmware. The ground shots were done by my daughter with a $100 (several years ago) JAZZ HDV178 camcorder which has a true 5MP CMOS module and good lens. I sure wish the #11 would morph into being able to shoot video as good!

4th of July Eagle Flight (2 min 9 sec)
Closed Thread