Closed Thread
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:31 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
Sorry for the NEWB question, but I see them listed for 39.95, 6, 7, 8….probably doesn't matter…..Subscribed also
Go back and read post #1/#2.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:11 PM
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2009
57 Posts
Have anybody tried Fisheye (wide angle) lens for 808HD? Something like Yelly lens or 15mm 180° degree lens?
DaggyMAC is offline Find More Posts by DaggyMAC
Last edited by DaggyMAC; Jan 03, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 05:52 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,120 Posts
hi, this camera looks very good! still pictures are not that good, but video is just awesome

did anyone measure the angle of view? looks wider that old versions

how good does this omnivision sensor performs in low light conditions? could be nice have a comparision video with a #3 camera,
any one want make it? :P

Looks like it can record while powered externally, so it can be used too as a "security car camera" butttttt... does it have the option to overwrite the file for continuously recording ?

manufacturer is still a mystery right? looks like its just found at ebay

thnks
wallaguest1 is online now Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Jan 03, 2011, 06:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
hi, this camera looks very good! still pictures are not that good, but video is just awesome

did anyone measure the angle of view? looks wider that old versions

how good does this omnivision sensor performs in low light conditions? could be nice have a comparision video with a #3 camera,
any one want make it? :P

Looks like it can record while powered externally, so it can be used too as a "security car camera" butttttt... does it have the option to overwrite the file for continuously recording ?

manufacturer is still a mystery right? looks like its just found at ebay

thnks
Still pictures are believed to be 2X interpolated enlargement from the sensor's native resolution. Still much better than the old 808.

If you've seen how the old 808 images have noticeable video "noise" at lower light level, compare with some of the video clips users have already posted here. While there is white balance shift in low light, I don't see the typical "noise" artifacts like the old 808 has. I think the HD CMOS sensor has much better light sensitivity.

No record overwrite, but for our purposes, I wouldn't want that anyway. I would like to see the automatic 20 min. stop/save/start sequence eliminated, though, and have already sent that as a "wish list" item to the vendors. I also asked about a toggle to record 640x480 @ 60 fps as a flashable option on futre firmware. No reply back on thos yet.

Manufacturer unknown, but the four identified vendors in post #2 seem to have a very close tie to each other and the manufacturer (i.e. firmware mods), and have commented that the early cameras they sold were part of "R&D".
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 03, 2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,120 Posts
the 20 min stat/stop is needed to because FAT32 size limit is 4Gb, so i guess was much more easy to program a time limit than read the actual file size and close it before it reach 4 Gb,
its okey for me the 20 min limit, you can merge both videos with any simple video editor anyway,

i wonder how much time is lost between the close and continue instant.

the 640x480 at 60fps would be wonderful if it comes an option in the future

by the way, how it is the presentation of this new camera? same has the old version? cartoon black box?
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:08 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Y

I use blue painters tape to secure the camera to a solid spot.

My blog has a video of the Beav (#3 non HD) and the way I mounted it straight to the bulkhead.

Yabba

Thanks Yabba. I'll strap it down with some tape next time.
Your blog entry reminded me that I need to go through the mega keyfob thread again and this time take notes.
lostheli is online now Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
the 20 min stat/stop is needed to because FAT32 size limit is 4Gb, so i guess was much more easy to program a time limit than read the actual file size and close it before it reach 4 Gb,
its okey for me the 20 min limit, you can merge both videos with any simple video editor anyway,

i wonder how much time is lost between the close and continue instant.

the 640x480 at 60fps would be wonderful if it comes an option in the future

by the way, how it is the presentation of this new camera? same has the old version? cartoon black box?
The videos I've looked at shoot at a nominal 7000 kb/s = .875 MB/s = 1.05 GB in a 20 min. clip. And the battery life is only spec'd for up to 40 min. of recording. So at worst, it is borderline that even a measely 2GB flash card would be filled up if there were no stop and save function. If they felt it necessary to have that function, they could safely up it to at least 30 sec. if not eliminate it altogether. I don't know what happens with the recording as the battery life comes to an end. I also don't know how much time delay between the two clips, but with my luck it would occur right when something I really wanted to capture was going on. I have a couple planes than can fly for up to 30 min., and I like to capture the langings.

By the presentation I guess you mean the letterboxing that can occur if a 720x480 video is output in either standard 4:3 or 16:9 frame sizes? With most versions of the old 808 camera, the video is stretched horizontally to 720 pixels wide from a 640 pixel wide native image. That also ruined the aspect ratio making circles look like elipses. I always resized the image on mine during editing back to 640x480 and output in a 4:3 aspect ratio frame, so no black borders and no distortion. BUT, the HD key cam shoots a native 16:9 aspect video with square pixels, so there is no aspect ratio distortion AND no black bars if you output the video with a 16:9 aspect ratio frame size and view on your PC. When uploaded to some of the hosting sites, though, they might not use that aspect ratio, and the black bars re-appear.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:01 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
WEB cam mode heats up

Observation of the HD camera getting warm when in use. I left in plugged in as a web cam for half and day while I was Skype vide conferencing today at work. The little HD camera got noticeably warm. Video quality was noticeably good based on feedback from others on the call. The HD camera got warm enough that I think I will revert to the original 808.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined Jul 2009
699 Posts
I'm part of the club once again. I purchased 2 of the HD cams from eletoponline365

I asked for them to not have the date/time and was asked if I could handle it myself if they were to send me the files. The files just came via email and I can attach them there if you like. Response time was very fast, as I just ordered these earlier today.
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirChime View Post
I'm part of the club once again. I purchased 2 of the HD cams from eletoponline365

I asked for them to not have the date/time and was asked if I could handle it myself if they were to send me the files. The files just came via email and I can attach them there if you like. Response time was very fast, as I just ordered these earlier today.
The files are already posted near the start of this thread, along with instructions for use. It also confirms the vendors are not sending the cameras pre-configured with no date, because it's very easy to remove and put back on if desired..... see post #12 (and #3).
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:18 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantares View Post
GSpot v2.70a shows that my camera records in 10714kbps films, 10730kbps and not how earlier passed examples 7091kbps or else 6993, 7060kbps.
Or this camera will permit on removal timestamp?
That's interesting about the high bit rate. Is it the same style of camera? Where did you buy your camera? Any clips posted?
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:34 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,120 Posts
Tom Frank thnks for response, but in fact i was taking about how it looks like the box witch holds the camera,
my english level is low, so in case i don't success explaining myself, i am refering to this black box:

http://www.wondcam.com/china-spy-sur...mera-02-p1.gif

the on used for presentation of the product,

thnks
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:56 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Tom Frank thnks for response, but in fact i was taking about how it looks like the box witch holds the camera,
my english level is low, so in case i don't success explaining myself, i am refering to this black box:

http://www.wondcam.com/china-spy-sur...mera-02-p1.gif

the on used for presentation of the product,

thnks
OHHHhhh! Sorry, I misundertstood! Mine is still in transit, so I can't answer that. In looking at the camera specifications on your box, that is NOT the same camera. It looks like a similar case, but yours shoots 640x480 video in .AVI format (and probably using MJPEG video codec).

The HD camera we are discussing here shoot full 1280x720 video in .MOV format using H.264 video codec. So the displayed video will be twice as wide and 1.375 times as high with better resolution most likley as well. That explains the difference in the bit rate, too. The h.264 codec has much higher compression rate than MJPEG, so even though the HD camera is spitting out a lot more bits of data from it's sensor, the greater compression allows a lower bit rate while maintaining similar quality.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 03, 2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: added more info after reading details on box picture
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:53 PM
Joined Feb 2010
55 Posts
Has anyone tried enlarging the opening in the case to see if the dark corners go away?
wayback is online now Find More Posts by wayback
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:01 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayback View Post
Has anyone tried enlarging the opening in the case to see if the dark corners go away?
I have not heard or read of anybody doing so. I suspect it won't make any difference. Plus, I haven't really noticed the darkening at the corners. If it really bothered you AVI Demux let's you crop the whole video.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread