HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:05 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
What gear gets swamped other than GPS.

Maybe I can learn from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHTON View Post
Yes you have to have a HAM license but that rule is only for "telecommand of the rc craft". In other words RC Control and does not apply to the video signal. You could use 20W if you were inclined to do so and had a plane that could carry the transmitter. But we all know you would swamp the rest of the gear.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:05 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
so long as the source doesn't have the handle David22.
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

Yes.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:12 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshy View Post
ahhahahahahahahaahaha!

Yes.

-blues
+1.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:25 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
Brings back memories of guys like you fellows when I finally proved the dragon link was not the best UHF control system when it first came out on the market. Funny how I proved everyone wrong, but does not bother me.

This thread is about helping others out and not making stupid remarks.

Lets get back to helping others out.

Or would you rather waste valuable time and effort with stupid posts

Q
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, VA, Madison Heights
Joined Aug 2011
771 Posts
Seriously David? You know good and well what other gear gets swamped by those +1W vtxs in close proximity. UHF control (maybe not your TSLRS that is what 2W and 8W boosted or something but the rest do), 2.4GHz control and GPS all get swamped.

Stand across from your friend and have a conversation, start walking away until you can't hear him anymore and mark the spot. Now put a radio in the mix and repeat set the radio on different volumes and repeat this test several times. As the radio volume gets louder the distance you can hear your friend decreases. This is an approximation of what we are doing to our gear every time we fly. A 1+ watt vtx is like putting a radio on full blast and walking away. The further away you get from the source the harder it gets to receive (hear) it. The receiver is essentially the plane's ears, you don't want someone screaming in it.
MASHTON is offline Find More Posts by MASHTON
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:47 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Alex I have been doing this for most likely lots longer than you

Have much more experience than you as well
Dude, what are you smoking? Would you mind sharing?

I'm not doing promotions. Heck, everything I make is in my blog given away for free and fully supported. I am a developer who has dedicated my time and research to developing the RF transmission system, then I give that research away for free. What have you developed for FPV with all of your experience?

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:59 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
Yes that is why I mentioned to choose the right components, ones that are not effected by 1.5 watt 1.2 video tx. Please go back and re read my post.

Certain servos, UHF control systems etc can be placed very close to high powered video tx.

The best set up is one that need very little separation, this includes the ground station

I done lots of experimenting re this matter

Choosing right or best components is very important and good to learn or teach others about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHTON View Post
Seriously David? You know good and well what other gear gets swamped by those +1W vtxs in close proximity. UHF control (maybe not your TSLRS that is what 2W and 8W boosted or something but the rest do), 2.4GHz control and GPS all get swamped.

Stand across from your friend and have a conversation, start walking away until you can't hear him anymore and mark the spot. Now put a radio in the mix and repeat set the radio on different volumes and repeat this test several times. As the radio volume gets louder the distance you can hear your friend decreases. This is an approximation of what we are doing to our gear every time we fly. A 1+ watt vtx is like putting a radio on full blast and walking away. The further away you get from the source the harder it gets to receive (hear) it. The receiver is essentially the plane's ears, you don't want someone screaming in it.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:09 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
[smokeing can kill you

i remember when crist proved sander wrong about that plane being a long range one , the one bev sold forgot the name

You put an inverted v on it and I warned you about it, hehehe, he did have problems coming back home, you should of listened instead of thinking you are always right

I don't develop but experiment and do things others have not done or very few have tried

You are developer who helps others out and that is great

You are good guy but sometimes not gentle man

As vendors go I refer to vendors in general not you specifically

Listening to only one person is not good idea as you suggest as your house is not well rounded and not best, as one person is never the best

Take advice with grain of rice

My claim is just lots of experience with fpv, and of course just like you not always correct and admit being wrong

As you are wrong sometimes I am as well

=IBCrazy;22968382]Dude, what are you smoking? Would you mind sharing?

I'm not doing promotions. Heck, everything I make is in my blog given away for free and fully supported. I am a developer who has dedicated my time and research to developing the RF transmission system, then I give that research away for free. What have you developed for FPV with all of your experience?

-Alex[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:11 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
@David - Are you familiar with magnetic induction and how it works? When you have high power transmitters close to other systems, the antenna radiates an electric and a magnetic field. This field induces currents in other components due to magnetic coupling. When these currents couple with the ground wire, they effectively raise and lower the ground potential of the entire system. This phenomenon is significantly worse if you use an unbalanced antenna (the current actually travels down the coaxial cable and causes the whole transmitter case to resonate). This means interference no matter how well your components are made simply because the voltage reference is not stable.

Of course if you don't believe me, then explain how a Yagi antenna works without any coupling effect.

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:46 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Of course if you don't believe me, then explain how a Yagi antenna works without any coupling effect.

-Alex
Magic.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:47 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
That is why you choose proper components and set up plane properly

I make planes with high powered video tx for 1.2 as example

Everything all very close including UHF rx

All passes ground tests and fly long range

No need to position stuff apart

This also case for ground station even with 8 watt UHF booster

You see even you can learn from me how to,do,this

Incredible but true

Quote:
@David - Are you familiar with magnetic induction and how it works? When you have high power transmitters close to other systems, the antenna radiates an electric and a magnetic field. This field induces currents in other components due to magnetic coupling. When these currents couple with the ground wire, they effectively raise and lower the ground potential of the entire system. This phenomenon is significantly worse if you use an unbalanced antenna (the current actually travels down the coaxial cable and causes the whole transmitter case to resonate). This means interference no matter how well your components are made simply because the voltage reference is not stable.

-Alex
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:53 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
Here is video with yagi for video rx

As you see surrounded by buildings and metal containers

I have lots of experience with yagi

funjet testing small antenna take off to landing (11 min 10 sec)
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:26 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,128 Posts
For the love of FPV David22 would you please stop posting. You've contributed nothing to this thread and your posts are unreadable. I know these comments aren't exactly the world's best contribution to RC either, but jeez, it just has to be said. Please move on.

Sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:35 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
769 Posts
I am no one in the FPV world as I am just getting started but I think this thread is been derailed from its purpose.

David22, yes you can definitely make a 1.5W Video TX work with the rest of your components but as you have mentioned multiple times, it requires a CAREFUL selection of the other components that won't be affected by it, which you have gotten to know through years of experience and experiments... The title of the thread is: How to be successful in FPV - A guide for newcomers. This I read as people wanting to get into the hobby, wanting to get their feet wet, most likely with a limited budget since they don't know if they are going to like it and wanting to get the gear that will most likely make them successful.

I believe Alex's advice is a good one to follow, it's simply physics that you can't argue against. You make informed decisions based on the theory and take it from there. The high power VTX can work but you are giving this advice to beginners? How about the other careful selection of components, should they choose your exact ones? Are those also within a starters budget? I doubt a beginner can do a "proper" plane setup right off the bat as you describe and I doubt a "newcomer" should shoot for long range and deep penetration as the 1.5W might give. They are most likely to succeed and start exploring with a lower power setup that can also give them great range and avoid possible issues. If this was a long range or VTX options thread I think the 1.5W advice would be a good one to discuss.

Just my opinion though...
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
[yes you are correct, carefull choice of components is most important, even if you use low powered video tx as example

my ipad is not easy to type with so i will try harder to be clear.

there are so many factors regarding fpv and how to be successful which makes giveing answers very hard unless there is specific question, like orrigional post about 1.5 wat 1.2 video tx.

It's when people come out with posts saying 1.5 wat video tx just mess with gear, I try to explain that is not the case or does not have to be if they set up plane well, but they would rather argue I am wrong.

and as you know it is possable to use one successfully if choices are made correctly

but in every case proper ground testing is a must not only for newbies but anyone regardless of experience.

It is important for beginners to choose as you mention wisely their fpv components. They as well as other experienced fpv pilots need to know 1.5 watt video is doable and works well. Actually better than say a 200 wat video tx.

It's when people come out with posts saying that 1.5 watt Txs don't work and mess with other components, is the problem. As they ask questions and should know the truth about the situation, rather than just fix a problem by only useing certain components that work because of low power.

Just like throwing high power to fix something throwing on a low power video tx to solve issues is wrong.

The whole idea is to choose proper fpv gear the first time that all works whether it be a high power video tx or low one.

Yes some people have derailed this thread unfortunately, and even post things nothing to do with fpv, they just are waste of post space.

Lets try to stay on topic and help each other out

QUOTE=Castel101;22969736]I am no one in the FPV world as I am just getting started but I think this thread is been derailed from its purpose.

David22, yes you can definitely make a 1.5W Video TX work with the rest of your components but as you have mentioned multiple times, it requires a CAREFUL selection of the other components that won't be affected by it, which you have gotten to know through years of experience and experiments... The title of the thread is: How to be successful in FPV - A guide for newcomers. This I read as people wanting to get into the hobby, wanting to get their feet wet, most likely with a limited budget since they don't know if they are going to like it and wanting to get the gear that will most likely make them successful.

I believe Alex's advice is a good one to follow, it's simply physics that you can't argue against. You make informed decisions based on the theory and take it from there. The high power VTX can work but you are giving this advice to beginners? How about the other careful selection of components, should they choose your exact ones? Are those also within a starters budget? I doubt a beginner can do a "proper" plane setup right off the bat as you describe and I doubt a "newcomer" should shoot for long range and deep penetration as the 1.5W might give. They are most likely to succeed and start exploring with a lower power setup that can also give them great range and avoid possible issues. If this was a long range or VTX options thread I think the 1.5W advice would be a good one to discuss.

Just my opinion though...[/QUOTE]
Last edited by David22; Oct 11, 2012 at 09:05 AM.